PDA

View Full Version : Beef ribs?

Av8er
07-30-2019, 06:42 PM
I am wanting to smoke some beef ribs but can only find short ribs locally. Is this what everyone usually smokes or do they find the larger ribs?

ShadowDriver
07-30-2019, 06:54 PM
I have a hard time finding the plate of beef ribs unless I hit up a local butcher shop.

I've heard from other Brethren that one could ask the supermarket butcher department if they have short ribs that aren't pre-cut.

That said, I've had pretty good results with both options (especially when the grocery store puts those short ribs in the value/bargain bin).

smoke ninja
07-30-2019, 07:07 PM
short ribs are good bbq. usually in three or 4 bone racks. they are also good flanken (cross) cut and marinated then grilled hot, Korean style

pjtexas1
07-30-2019, 07:21 PM
Cook what you can find. Still good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Radrob
07-30-2019, 07:22 PM
Ask the butcher at any store you find short ribs. They "usually" get them whole in cryovac and cut them to sell. If not they may be able to order a 3-4 bone rack but I'm sure they come in a two rack pack.

Mike in Roseville
07-30-2019, 07:23 PM
Short ribs are great! Don't hesitate to fire up the cooker and enjoy a smoke.

ShadowDriver
07-30-2019, 07:32 PM
short ribs are good bbq. usually in three or 4 bone racks. they are also good flanken (cross) cut and marinated then grilled hot, Korean style

Once I discovered that the Commissary carries the flanken cut beef ribs, we've been hitting the Korean-style BBQ pretty hard with excellent effect.

Appreciate the reminder on this one, and I add my support behind this as a delicious option.

LYU370
07-30-2019, 09:21 PM
Once I discovered that the Commissary carries the flanken cut beef ribs, we've been hitting the Korean-style BBQ pretty hard with excellent effect.

Appreciate the reminder on this one, and I add my support behind this as a delicious option.
Don't forget to try making Tablitas. Good stuff.

Av8er
07-30-2019, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies, gonna give em a go this weekend for sur.

Av8er
07-30-2019, 09:46 PM
I guess flanken style is just as good to smoke as well?

LYU370
07-30-2019, 10:51 PM
Nope, flanken is hot n fast on the grill. Don't be afraid to char them a bit, but don't burn them. Full chuck short ribs are about all I can find around these parts. They make a great steak on a stick. Have heard of a couple of places that sell the plate ribs, but haven't ventured out to find them yet.

Chuck short ribs from a few years ago...

https://i.imgur.com/mvoVm7ch.jpg