PDA

View Full Version : chicken wings

smoke ninja
07-29-2019, 03:57 PM
so I heard a debate today and figured I would put it to the brethren to see the proper answer should be. I'm not sure why there is even discussion on this and expect to see %100 the correct answer.

are chicken wings white meat or dark meat?

Big George's BBQ
07-29-2019, 04:04 PM
White meat If birds fly a lot ;like ducks it is dark do to increased myoglobin

Moose
07-29-2019, 04:05 PM
Not sure if wings are white or dark meat, but if they are cooked and seasoned properly, they are delicious meat!

Czarbecue
07-29-2019, 04:45 PM
They are white meat. Which is why I love drumsticks but hate drummies.

BillN
07-29-2019, 05:02 PM
I choose white meat, wings have skin that has a relatively high amount of fat. And I agree with Moose they are delicious.

ironmanerik
07-29-2019, 05:07 PM
I've always felt like the drummy is white meat and the flat is dark.

kd4gij
07-29-2019, 05:10 PM
A cross between the 2

HogGrog
07-29-2019, 05:23 PM
White meat. But I was surprised to find this out a few years ago. I had always guessed it was dark meat because it tastes like it should be.

SmokinJohn
07-29-2019, 05:49 PM
White meat.

tom b
07-29-2019, 05:49 PM
I consider it white, connected to the breast

food4thot
07-29-2019, 07:10 PM
When will chickens finally be bred with wing-thighs? I'm not getting any younger.

Hoss
07-29-2019, 09:40 PM
White,that is why I buy thighs and legs.

Hoss
07-29-2019, 09:47 PM
Julia Child had a cooking show when I was a kid.She showed how to cut up a whole cooked chicken and make 8 servings.2 legs,2 thighs,,2 wings with 1/4 of the top of the breast attatched,and 3/4 of the rest of the breast.Made even serving sizes.I smoke split chicken breasts for the family.Legs and thighs on sale for me.1/4's when I am cooking for a crowd(cheap), divide them with a cleaver after cooking to cut down on waste.Boneless,skinless thighs soaked in JaLove when I need a Jerk fix.

dward51
07-29-2019, 09:52 PM
I know the real answer, but if you go to KFC, Churchs, etc.... and order a bucket of white meat chicken, there will be no wings in there. They are in the dark orders. I think that is the source of a lot of the confusion on are they white or dark.

Mike Twangzer
07-29-2019, 10:05 PM
Tofu

LYU370
07-29-2019, 10:34 PM
I know the real answer, but if you go to KFC, Churchs, etc.... and order a bucket of white meat chicken, there will be no wings in there. They are in the dark orders. I think that is the source of a lot of the confusion on are they white or dark.
When did that change? White always used to be breast & wings.

m-fine
07-30-2019, 07:58 AM
Officially white meat but they are usually more like dark meat in color, texture, flavor and fat/juiciness. I would call them dark because that’s what matters.

ModelMaker
07-30-2019, 08:15 AM
If you let them defrost on the counter too long they is grey...
Ed

piddlin
07-30-2019, 10:17 AM
I've always thought it is both. Flapper is dark and drum is white.

DaveZ
07-30-2019, 10:26 AM

Where I live, breasts and wings in white, legs and thighs in dark. Same at the deli counter in the grocery store.

rus_bro
07-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Around my home town, a wing was known as the "1 Piece Mix" at the gas station chicken joint.

rb

W.I.T.W.A.G?
07-30-2019, 03:52 PM
I was surprised to learn it is white meat as well. To me wings have always tasted similar to a thigh so i assumed they were dark meat. Who decided this anyway and what is it based on? To me, it looks and tastes like dark meat, I guess I don't care what they call it.

smoke ninja
07-30-2019, 04:24 PM
I was surprised to learn it is white meat as well. To me wings have always tasted similar to a thigh so i assumed they were dark meat. Who decided this anyway and what is it based on? To me, it looks and tastes like dark meat, I guess I don't care what they call it.

yes it is the most irrelevant bbq discussion possible but that people dont agree on the answer is amusing. it's like those internet things about the dress color or laurel/yanni. that answer is so obvious to you but its not.

from my understanding they are white meat but have a higher fat content than breast so it's not clear. I don't even know the criteria for what is dark meat or white. I know that wings are in white meat chicken. buckets but from this thread that's not even 100% clear:wacko:

chingador
07-30-2019, 04:29 PM
I've always felt like the drummy is white meat and the flat is dark.

that is my understanding as well

Jrogers84
07-30-2019, 04:48 PM
I wasnt even aware this was a question. Always assumed white meat

sliding_billy
07-30-2019, 05:12 PM
White meat If birds fly a lot ;like ducks it is dark do to increased myoglobin

This. The question was "chicken wings" and not just wings. Flying fowl basically have no white meat, but chickens certainly do and it includes the wing. Myoglobin is yummy, BTW. :mrgreen:

jasonjax
07-30-2019, 06:24 PM
Duh?

White meat cuts are the breast, breast tenders and wings. Dark meat cuts are the drumstick and thighs. The color differences occur because they are two separate types of muscle.

Dr. Yancey: “Dark meat cuts come from muscles that use more oxygen and have more iron. The iron is held in a protein called myoglobin, which gives it the darker color. White meat cuts come from muscles that metabolize energy with less oxygen, so they have less myoglobin and are lighter in color.”

https://www.bestfoodfacts.org/difference-between-white-dark-chicken/

jakel
07-30-2019, 06:38 PM
To settle this once and for all....

the tip is white meat, the drum portion of the wing is dark meat. Unless the wing is from a laying hen. (a chicken not raised to be eaten, but raised to produce egss). In laying hens the tip is dark meat and the drum portion of the wing is white meat.

Now in roosters raised for show, the whole wing is dark meat, while if you have a hen chicken that being raised for a roasting hen, the tip is dark, and the drum is white, except for the Road island Red variety, then the whole wing is kind of an off yellow meat.

I also have a nice bridge for sale .....cheep!

smoke ninja
07-30-2019, 07:14 PM
To settle this once and for all....

the tip is white meat, the drum portion of the wing is dark meat. Unless the wing is from a laying hen. (a chicken not raised to be eaten, but raised to produce egss). In laying hens the tip is dark meat and the drum portion of the wing is white meat.

Now in roosters raised for show, the whole wing is dark meat, while if you have a hen chicken that being raised for a roasting hen, the tip is dark, and the drum is white, except for the Road island Red variety, then the whole wing is kind of an off yellow meat.

I also have a nice bridge for sale .....cheep!

lock the thread down I'm dead

☠💀☠💀☠💀

Smoking Piney
07-30-2019, 08:56 PM
Wings?

Grey meat.............neither white, nor dark. They cook like dark meat on a cooker.

All I know is that they taste great. :-D

16Adams
07-30-2019, 10:36 PM
Above the waist-White
Below the waist-dark
Oysters?

Happy Hapgood
07-30-2019, 11:24 PM
Julia Child had a cooking show when I was a kid.She showed how to cut up a whole cooked chicken and make 8 servings.2 legs,2 thighs,,2 wings with 1/4 of the top of the breast attatched,and 3/4 of the rest of the breast.Made even serving sizes.I smoke split chicken breasts for the family.Legs and thighs on sale for me.1/4's when I am cooking for a crowd(cheap), divide them with a cleaver after cooking to cut down on waste.Boneless,skinless thighs soaked in JaLove when I need a Jerk fix.

Julia don't play! :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0wZEKrb52E