PDA

View Full Version : Crab apple wood

DJ321
07-27-2019, 12:36 PM
Anyone ever cook for ith crab apple tree wood? A friend of mine has offered me some but I’m not sure if it’s good to cook with.

WilliamKY
07-27-2019, 01:49 PM
Crabapple trees are closely related to apple trees (also Malus) grown for fruit. The main difference is that crabapple fruit is 2 inches diameter or less; fruit greater than 2 inches diameter is classified as an apple. Many crabapples develop showy displays of fruit, increasing their ornamental value in the landscape. Some crabapple varieties have more or longer-lasting ornamental value from their fruit display than from their flowers. Fruit varies in size and color, from 1/4 inch to 2 inches and from yellow and orange to purple to brilliant red. Some varieties drop fruit upon ripening in fall; the fruit of many other varieties persists into late winter. Homeowners who recall the messiness of large-fruited crabapples should be aware that many newer varieties have smaller, persistent fruit. Larger-fruited crabapples are valued for making jams and jellies.

It seems only the fruit and foliage are different. I would definitely give it a shot.

ShadowDriver
07-27-2019, 01:54 PM
I wood [sic]. :wink:

Swede
07-27-2019, 01:56 PM
I'm cooking ribs in my OKJ Highlander on crabapple wood as we speak. Works fine, but it's a pain in the cunning linguals to split. Give it a year to season and it'll split better.

Flavor is fine. Go for it!

DJ321
07-27-2019, 02:49 PM
Thanks all. I’ll season it and cook with it next year.
Cheers!

Monkey Uncle
07-28-2019, 06:03 AM
I've used it before. Cooks just like apple.