PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Flow Santa Maria Smoker???

Swine Spectator
07-21-2019, 04:07 PM
This is interesting. Not sure what to make of it.

Chulengo Reverse Flow Santa Maria Smoker

https://chulengosmoker.com/AboutUs

I originally thought the welds were complete crap, but in the video you can see that they are meant to be decorative.

Chuckwagonbbqco
07-22-2019, 01:29 AM
What ever it is --it is. However "Santa Maria" style it is not. "Santa Maria Style" is an open pit that usually has adjustable height above from "Red Oak" coals.

SmoothBoarBBQ
07-22-2019, 02:15 AM
It took me a minute to wrap my head around it, but I like the concept. It certainly seems like a "jack of all trades, master of none" but it does look to be designed pretty well. Honestly I'm going to keep my eye on this thing and look out for some competent reviews. It's exciting to see innovation with such a small piece of equipment.

@ChuckWagonBBQCo, with the cooking chamber door open it meets your loose criteria for "Santa Maria Style" BBQ.

Nuco59
07-22-2019, 05:34 AM
It is "different" - and not in a bad way.

I'm not sure of the "master of none" - the video seemed to show it could do just everything. Does it? /shrug. Would not be the first demo to show a product in an over-positive light, would it? It might be the real deal. Someone will do a hands on review- sooner or later.

But it is a cool concept. Very.

Smokin Dawg77
07-22-2019, 06:17 AM
interesting .... hummm

bschoen
07-22-2019, 06:27 AM
Interesting design, has potential. Too bad the video was just a bunch of glam shots with zero information.

pjtexas1
07-22-2019, 06:39 AM
Not sure about the v-groove grates. Seems like they would collect liquids and that has to go somewhere. I do like that it can do a lot of things even though I'm not a fan of the all-in-one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nuco59
07-22-2019, 12:23 PM
Go back and look again- there is a v trough that runs across the width of the grate. It looks to be removable. Not sure how much juice it'd hold but have to remember that some if the juice is falling to the coals.

I have a home made santa maria with v grates... If I would have forgotten to include the catch tray, the waterfall of almost boiling juice going off the edge onto my feet would have been a BIG indication of an "uh oh"

charcoalwilly
07-22-2019, 08:55 PM
Not sure about the v-groove grates. Seems like they would collect liquids and that has to go somewhere. I do like that it can do a lot of things even though I'm not a fan of the all-in-one.

You’ll sometimes see the the V-groove grates referred to as Argentine grill grates. The benefit is that the grooves channel away much of the fat into a trough. I’ve seen videos of chefs throwing some fresh herbs and olive oil into the trough and then basting with it. Pretty cool although I have never cooked on such grates (yet :becky:).

I completely agree with you on not being fan of the all-in-one. Don’t chase the unicorn!

HogGrog
07-22-2019, 09:43 PM
V-grates are cool, if you catch my drip! :cool:

Mikhail
07-23-2019, 07:27 AM
I would have concerns about a company that lists no address. The cooker looks interesting.

SmokerKing
07-23-2019, 10:33 AM
I have a grease catcher on my Santa Maria Argentine style angle iron grate:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/XdXvho.jpg

Nuco59
07-23-2019, 05:42 PM
Grease tray on an Argentine grate - yeah.
That's pretty much a given... keeps your toes from being basted in almost boiling juices.
:grin:

Chuckwagonbbqco
07-23-2019, 10:51 PM
Santa Maria ain't in Argentina

Texan79423
07-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Santa Maria and reverse flow do not go together.

Nuco59
07-24-2019, 06:11 PM
Maybe think of it as a reverse flow smoker that can also be used as a Santa Maria with an Argentine grate. Not as a reverse flow Santa Maria grill? (which does sound funny btw)

If no one ever tried something different, where would we be?

It might NOT be as good as having a stand alone reverse flow smoker AND a stand along Santa Maria- but if it does a decent job at both.... that's something.

m-fine
07-24-2019, 06:12 PM
I am holding out for the Santa Maria style reverse flow pellet pooping air fryer with a Sous Vide add-on.

Nuco59
07-24-2019, 06:13 PM
build it and they will come.... some will buy- some will ridicule you :)

Swine Spectator
07-24-2019, 08:11 PM
Personally, I think it is an interesting design. I wouldn't mind trying it out. It seems versatile.

Mikhail
07-25-2019, 05:58 AM
I'd like to have a Santa Maria too. Sadly I also would like to stay married. She is already skeptical of me having three cookers. :mrgreen:

JAKs Q & brew
07-25-2019, 10:27 AM
I'm a little confused about how it works.

As a Santa maria Where do the coals go? Is there a grate in the main chamber to hold hot coals? Is it removed when used as a smoker? Do you use the firebox as a brasero and have to shovel coals to the main chamber?

I also worry about grease fires. From my experience the main chamber of a reverse flow smoker has a large amount of animal fat all over everything. Unless it is kept very clean won't you have a ragging grease fire when used as an open grill?