PDA

View Full Version : Pork steaks

Mark
05-23-2007, 11:10 AM
The link to the article claims St. Louis is pork steak capital of America and this particular cut is relatively unknown in most of the country. How true do you think these claims are?

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/lifestyle/stories.nsf/cooking/story/BF74DBE508BCDF3C862572E2006EE095?OpenDocument

boberosabbq
05-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Don't know but I eat pork steak more than beef.

Markbb
05-23-2007, 11:34 AM
After living in Missouri for 7 years Pork Steak is King, luckly I can find it here in Oklahoma, but its not as previlent.

parrothead
05-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I never heard of it until I started working in St. Louis however many years ago that was. I'm pretty sure that it is a St. Louis invention.

bbqjoe
05-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I love pork shoulder steaks.
A little granulated garlic, and some lawrys. Pan fried in 50-50 butter and oil.
Low and slow.

GridironGriller
05-23-2007, 12:06 PM
No problem finding a pork steak in Memphis and West TN...I love 'em!

Puppyboy
05-23-2007, 12:26 PM
We eat the chit out of pork steaks.

Grilled, smoked, fried, diced up into stir fry. Oh yeah they are good.

AlabamaGrillBillies
05-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Got 'em here in Birmingham. No big deal, I assumed most places sold them.

Oldbob
05-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Lots of Pork Shoulder Steaks here.....Sam's Have them here in Indiana too !!

keale
05-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Got 'em in Hawaii, it has the bone in them, looks like a butt sliced up into steaks...

qman
05-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Got 'em in Hawaii, it has the bone in them, looks like a butt sliced up into steaks...

It looks like that cause that is what it is.

I don't know about St. Louis but I know butchers in South Georgia were slicing up pork steaks in the very early 1950's, because I can remember going to the abbittor with my dad when I was 6 or 7 years old and watching the guys break down a pig for us, and my dad always got them to cut the shoulders into steaks.

I will say, we never "barbecued" them. Pan grilled, usually.

MTHank
05-23-2007, 03:06 PM
It is the same here in Montana... Not a problem finding "pork steaks"... Besides the local market we have a place called "Farm to Market Pork"... The BEST without a doubt of any pork I have ever ate... No phoney baloney crap fed to the pigs, so I just get a 1/4 or 1/2 hog. Oh? Did I mention??? Pork is the BEST!!!

SmokeyBear
05-23-2007, 08:27 PM
It looks like that cause that is what it is.

I don't know about St. Louis but I know butchers in South Georgia were slicing up pork steaks in the very early 1950's, because I can remember going to the abbittor with my dad when I was 6 or 7 years old and watching the guys break down a pig for us, and my dad always got them to cut the shoulders into steaks.

I will say, we never "barbecued" them. Pan grilled, usually.

My grandfather was a meat cutter (term he used) in middle GA, and he used to cut them. Until this thread I hadn't thought about them in a long time. I may have to get the local specialty shop to cut me a few.

thunter
05-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Lots of Pork Shoulder Steaks here.....Sam's Have them here in Indiana too !!

Yep, in nap-town too! I smoke'em low and slow. I call them Smoke-Chops! :-D

Tony

rookiedad
05-24-2007, 06:57 AM
are these the same thing as country ribs?

phil

qman
05-24-2007, 07:04 AM
are these the same thing as country ribs?

phil

Not exactly. First, There are two different cuts that are sold as country ribs.
The butt-end of the loin is cut into thick pieces and sold as loin-end country ribs. The butt or shoulder is cut into thick pieces cross-wise and sold as "shoulder country ribs"

The pork steak is cut from the butt- however it is sliced thinner than the "country rib" cut, and left in one piece- looks a lot like a smaller version of a beef 7-bone roast.

qman
05-24-2007, 07:07 AM
My grandfather was a meat cutter (term he used) in middle GA, and he used to cut them. Until this thread I hadn't thought about them in a long time. I may have to get the local specialty shop to cut me a few.

Smokey, you should be able to find pork steaks in local supermarkets in your area. Publix and Winn-Dixie to name a couple, seem to stock them anywhere I have tried.

rookiedad
05-24-2007, 09:23 AM
so, how would i tell the butcher to cut me up some of these? should i just start with a whole pork butt and have it sliced in one inch increments? thanks.

phil

qman
05-24-2007, 09:40 AM
[quote=rookiedad;399643]so, how would i tell the butcher to cut me up some of these? should i just start with a whole pork butt and have it sliced in one inch increments? thanks.

phil[/quote

That would work. He should understand slicing a whole butt into steaks. Mostly they are more like 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness-at least what I get around here.

ggeilman
05-24-2007, 10:12 AM
They are starting to sell pork steaks here made from the butt. They are the wierdest looking things and largely bone. I won't buy 'em.

big blue bbq
05-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I grew up in Dexter Mo. and we had pork steaks a lot. When I got out on my own you could get it at Schnuck's for $.89 a pound (remember when Mod). It is a little more now, but you can't beat it. It is even good on a gasser if you light one side and do the meat on the other good and slow. The best part of buying it pre-sliced is there is always a thick slice at the bottom you can't see. That is the best of the pack!

Go Blue!!

SmokeyBear
05-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Smokey, you should be able to find pork steaks in local supermarkets in your area. Publix and Winn-Dixie to name a couple, seem to stock them anywhere I have tried.

I haven't seen them in the local Publix, and all of the Winn-Dixie stores here closed, but I'll be sure to double check the next time I'm in either of the Publix stores.

thirdeye
05-24-2007, 03:11 PM
They are just a cross section of a butt. I slice with my knife down to the bone then use a meat saw to get through it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%203/9fab3de1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%203/d1d20ebf.jpg

Around here, country (bone-in shoulder cut) ribs are cut 1" thick and trimmed so they are not much wider than the blade bone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/e3da15d0.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/556dd887.jpg