PDA

View Full Version : Ribs with leathery skin

Kanco Connection
07-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Some of my racks end up B/B+ instead of A because the exterior turns out to be kind of a striated leathery thin hide instead of the moist bark that is one with the interior. It happens to me at least 1 every 5 times (when I don’t wrap) and I’m not sure what the cause is. Wrapping seems to eliminate it, but I usually don’t feel like wrapping.

The interior will be moist and juicy and perfect and the bark flavorful—just kinda tough. I’m not a spritzer, but I’ve tried it to see if that eliminates it, and nope. Doesn’t seem like it’s necessarily temp-dependent either. Not sure what the cause is, so I wanted to ask the Brethren.

Any insight? Thanks.

Joshw
07-17-2019, 09:03 PM
I get that on my pellet grill if I don't spritz. Spritzing every 45 minutes solved it for me. You might try adding a water pan.

SMOKE FREAK
07-17-2019, 09:11 PM
Maybe it's the rub you use...Sugar...No sugar...I dunno.

Kanco Connection
07-17-2019, 09:17 PM
Maybe it's the rub you use...Sugar...No sugar...I dunno.

Good question. Used to use Killer Hogz. Now using Oakridge Dominator. Didn’t seem to change the frequency. Thx

sudsandswine
07-18-2019, 06:11 AM
Try putting them under a foil tent to steam up a bit after removing them from the cooker. I am assuming you are doing dry rub only on the ribs? Slightly over cooking them when you get the leathery skin maybe? I know what youre talking about but the only time that really happens to me is cooking nekkid and theyre on a shade long, and/or the cooker temp was on the high side.

SmoothBoarBBQ
07-18-2019, 07:01 AM
It's likely too much airflow over the surface of the meat, and therefore drying it out.
Stick your head out the window of your car when you're driving around the neighborhood for a few seconds and stick out your tongue. You'll be able to feel how the extreme amounts of airflow will dry out your tongue, and it's likely the exact same thing is happening to the surface of the meat. Perhaps those ribs are in direct line with the exhaust on your cooker compared to the other racks of ribs?

Tenting in foil (rather than wrapping) for the last 60-90 minutes should help.

Kanco Connection
07-18-2019, 09:52 AM
It's likely too much airflow over the surface of the meat, and therefore drying it out.
Stick your head out the window of your car when you're driving around the neighborhood for a few seconds and stick out your tongue. You'll be able to feel how the extreme amounts of airflow will dry out your tongue, and it's likely the exact same thing is happening to the surface of the meat. Perhaps those ribs are in direct line with the exhaust on your cooker compared to the other racks of ribs?

Tenting in foil (rather than wrapping) for the last 60-90 minutes should help.

That’s interesting. I love my PBC but I think it only happens on it—not the kettle. Maybe something about the airflow in there. Haven’t noticed if there’s any correlation with hanging racks in one position or another. Thanks.

Czarbecue
07-18-2019, 10:07 AM
I get that when I’m too late on the spritzing or not doing it enough. Also the fat content of the ribs will determine that too. The one with too much meat exposed will have more leathery skin, or course. I like to keep the fat on the ribs. It’s my favorite part.

SmoothBoarBBQ
07-18-2019, 01:21 PM
That’s interesting. I love my PBC but I think it only happens on it—not the kettle. Maybe something about the airflow in there. Haven’t noticed if there’s any correlation with hanging racks in one position or another. Thanks.

Yeah, I get it on my "hog style" smoker if I don't rotate the ribs during the first couple hours of the cook. Everything on the top shelf near the exhaust stack will start to dry out on the top side. Personally I prefer an aggressive draft when running my stickburner, so I'm OK with rotating the meat versus adjusting the draft.

pjtexas1
07-18-2019, 03:01 PM
I'd try resting meat side down in foil. Might even add some liquids.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cullenbranson
07-19-2019, 02:39 PM
. . . Stick your head out the window of your car when you're driving around the neighborhood for a few seconds and stick out your tongue. You'll be able to feel . . .

^^^I recommend this regardless. This is how I met my wife.

Joe Black
07-19-2019, 02:59 PM
I cook my baby backs naked at 275* in my stick burner for 3 hours or until I’m beginning to get a good bend. Then I sauce/glaze them twice for 15 minutes each time. Take them out and tent them on the kitchen counter for 30 minutes. Slice and serve. It seems like everyone likes them. I know I do. Good luck and let us know how everything turns out.