PDA

View Full Version : Tri tip catergory in a competition?

jtfisher63
05-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Hi guys, this will probably be directed to the California guys because I haven't heard of tri tip as a category anywhere but California. I am competing in a comp coming up with tri tip as one of the categories. I have cooked plenty of tri tip in my day, but I have no idea of what judges look for in competition tri tip. Normally I just rub it and grill it hot and fast. Do they judges expect it to be smoked? I have smoked them in the past, but I tend to like them grilled better. Also, what about presentation? I normally just slice it like I would brisket, across the grain. Is the norm? Any help would be appriciated here guys. Pics would be awesome!

Thanks,
Jason

BBQ_Mayor
05-22-2007, 05:37 PM
You could smoke for a bit and then grill it off to finish. Did Tri-Tip last year at a small comp in the Middle of Iowa. Good thing I went to my uncles in San Diego the year before and learned how to cook'em.
Got 3rd on it so I guess it wasn't too bad.
As you can tell, the tri tips they sell here in Iowa are small and pricy.

jtfisher63
05-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Wow, that looks great. So how did you end up doing?

Jason

grillfella
05-23-2007, 01:36 AM
Use the santa maria method which is a dry rub cooked over oak

BBQ_Mayor
05-23-2007, 06:36 AM
Wow, that looks great. So how did you end up doing?

Jason

3rd in the Tri Tip and 7th in ribs. It was just a 2 meat unsacationed contest. Can't remember what the overall was. I want to say 7th but would need to look it up to be sure.

ThomEmery
05-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Jason
Most Judges wont know what they are looking for :)
Its a new Category
Just remember they all seem to have a sweet tooth

Bentley
05-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Use the santa maria method which is a dry rub cooked over oak

To be true "Santa Maria" style California Red Oak! :-P

bbqpigskin
05-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Where is the comp held that you referred to?

jtfisher63
05-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Where is the comp held that you referred to?

It is in Fairfield, Ca on August 18th.
http://www.westcoastbbqchampionships.com/blog/

Thom, beef and sweet just sounds weird to me, but I will have to do some experimenting with some different rubs and maybe mops.

Jason

Steppenwolf
05-24-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't know a thing about comp, but the most common mop for Tri tip around here is terriaki with crushed pineapple and onion. Kind of a slaty sweet.