PDA

View Full Version : Grilled pizza recipes/tips

Home Farm BBQ
07-05-2019, 07:11 AM
Only tried a grilled pizza twice. Once was a store bought and was ok. The other was handmade and was a failure. I believe I put way too much on the pizza. Should have used the thinking less is more.

Right now I’m working with a Weber kettle 26 with slow n sear. Going to follow a recipe from link below for pizza.

https://www.kettlepizza.com/matt-framptons-ultimate-pizza-dough-recipe-kettlepizza/

I have a pizza stone, but don’t know if it is ok for grill? Let me know your experiences cooking pizzas and what has worked well? Is the kettle pizza accessory worth it? Any stones that work better than others? Below is the idea I’m using for cooking on kettle with slow n sear.

https://abcbarbecue.com/pizza/

Thanks for the help and tips. Have in-laws coming for a week and want to give them something different to eat. In-laws are coming to see a new baby girl that arrived July 1. No grilling on the fourth was a weird feeling. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big George's BBQ
07-05-2019, 09:25 AM
Moose cooks some great pizza check out his posts and Blog

Servo
07-05-2019, 10:53 AM
If you are looking for something different when it comes to pizza and grilling then I think you should give true 'grilled pizza' a try.

Concept is you take a stretched out dough and throw it down on the grates with nothing on it to cook one side for a bit, then you pull it off, placed cooked side down on peel, top, then slide back on and brown the bottom.

The key with this method is that you are not really cooking the toppings, just heating them up, so smaller / precooked toppings work best. Cheese definitely melts so it's not like it's cold or anything, but you're not going to be able to take raw crumbled sausage and cook it through.

The dough comes out amazingly well and it something that if people haven't had before, they love and are amazed. "You're gonna throw dough directly on the grates??"

On the kettle you wouldn't want it blazing but you wouldn't use the slow / sear, you'd just have a small bed of coals burning below it.

This isn't to say that using a stone/etc in the kettle wouldn't turn out amazing too, it would, just a different sort of pizza. Here's someone just doing it on a little gasser that shows the method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lBgt-dqaY

tom b
07-05-2019, 11:32 AM
I did this, Kevin J shows his in here also

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258016

Home Farm BBQ
07-05-2019, 12:24 PM
Might have to try the vortex with 180 degrees of coals. That seems like it would cook well rotating. Might have to get a couple bricks.

RandyNight
07-05-2019, 12:30 PM
in for the tips

Moose
07-05-2019, 12:54 PM
1. For starters, you'll want a quality pizza stone that can withstand serious heat over time. Most stones made for home ovens don't stand up to the test of time. California Pizza Stones will - they are rated up to 2300 degrees F.

http://www.californiapizzastones.com/

2. Another invaluable tool is an instant read thermometer. It's ESSENTIAL that you know how hot your cooking surface is. I like stone temps of 625-675 for non-Neapolitan style pizzas. This is around the surface temp of most pizzeria style ovens and will generate that nice crispy crust.

3. The biggest obstacle in cooking pizzas in grills without some kind of special equipment or modifications is achieving temperature parity between the stone temp and dome temp. In other words, without some kind of height adjustment, or isolating the heat around the pizza, the bottom of your pie will be finished far sooner than the bottom. I've seen some workable mods for Weber kettles, including using a cast iron skillet to elevate the stone so the top of the pie gets exposed to more heat, the Pizza Kettle kit( A total fuel hog), special pizza enclosures designed specifically for gas ovens, all of which with some trial and error, can crank out some pretty decent pies.

For me, pulling the trigger on a dedicated pizza oven was a game changer - I have a Blackstone, though UUni makes well reviewed ovens as well. I recovered the cost of my Blackstone oven in well under 6 months(didn't need to order take out or delivery pizza anymore as I can cook a pizza in 3-4 minutes), so the investment paid for itself quickly. This is something to really consider if you eat(or would like to eat) top notch pizza on a fairly regular basis.

Home Farm BBQ
07-05-2019, 02:27 PM
1. For starters, you'll want a quality pizza stone that can withstand serious heat over time. Most stones made for home ovens don't stand up to the test of time. California Pizza Stones will - they are rated up to 2300 degrees F.

http://www.californiapizzastones.com/

2. Another invaluable tool is an instant read thermometer. It's ESSENTIAL that you know how hot your cooking surface is. I like stone temps of 625-675 for non-Neapolitan style pizzas. This is around the surface temp of most pizzeria style ovens and will generate that nice crispy crust.

3. The biggest obstacle in cooking pizzas in grills without some kind of special equipment or modifications is achieving temperature parity between the stone temp and dome temp. In other words, without some kind height adjustment, or isolating the heat around the pizza, the bottom of your pie will be finished far sooner than the bottom. I've seen some workable mods for Weber kettles, including using a cast iron skillet to elevate the stone so the top of the pie gets exposed to more heat, the Pizza Kettle kit( A total fuel hog), special pizza enclosures designed specifically for gas ovens, all of which with some trial and error, can crank out some pretty decent pies.

For me, pulling the trigger on a dedicated pizza oven was a game changer - I have a Blackstone, though UUni makes well reviewed ovens as well. I recovered the cost of my Blackstone oven in well under 6 months(didn't need to order take out or delivery pizza anymore as I can cook a pizza in 3-4 minutes), so the investment paid for itself quickly. This is something to really consider if you eat(or would like to eat) top notch pizza on a fairly regular basis.

Thanks for the advice. Looking for the stone advice. I’m more of trying to screw around and cook something different for fun. Probably order a good stone and have wanted a temperature gauge for cooking surfaces.

Home Farm BBQ
07-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Went ahead and ordered California pizza stone along with an elevated grate from adrenaline bbq. The grate will work great for wings and extra space also.

Thanks for all the help. Planning on making some dough for Tuesday and try with old stone if new stuff isn’t here.

Dweverett
07-06-2019, 08:52 PM
If you are looking for something different when it comes to pizza and grilling then I think you should give true 'grilled pizza' a try.

Concept is you take a stretched out dough and throw it down on the grates with nothing on it to cook one side for a bit, then you pull it off, placed cooked side down on peel, top, then slide back on and brown the bottom.

The key with this method is that you are not really cooking the toppings, just heating them up, so smaller / precooked toppings work best. Cheese definitely melts so it's not like it's cold or anything, but you're not going to be able to take raw crumbled sausage and cook it through.

The dough comes out amazingly well and it something that if people haven't had before, they love and are amazed. "You're gonna throw dough directly on the grates??"

On the kettle you wouldn't want it blazing but you wouldn't use the slow / sear, you'd just have a small bed of coals burning below it.

This isn't to say that using a stone/etc in the kettle wouldn't turn out amazing too, it would, just a different sort of pizza. Here's someone just doing it on a little gasser that shows the method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lBgt-dqaY

This is a fun way to do it and can make some really good pizzas. One of the neighbors makes a bbq chicken one on his gasser that’s awesome. When I saw him throw the sheet of raw dough on I thought he was going to have a mess.

mahenryak
07-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Hello:

Most of my experience is on a Big Green Egg (BGE) and now more recently on a Bollore (Party Pizza). When I was cooking on the BGE I was using a pizza screen on top of a ceramic stone. The pizza screen takes the pressure of having to have the dough just right and also having to be skilled with the pizza peel. There were actually two ceramics involved when cooking on the BGE and the two stones were separated by an air gap (1/2" or so,). The air gap was to make sure that the stone that the pizza screen was sitting on was not over heated due to being directly over the lump, which can result in burned bottoms. When I moved to the Bollore pizza oven I began to cook directly on the pizza floor (special brick) and I learned quite a bit in a short period of time from the following website. I also pretty much stick with the '00' pizza dough (very fine grind).

https://www.pizzamaking.com

TravelingJ
07-07-2019, 01:17 AM

The video shows them flipping it over so it's placed cooked side up, and then topped, and then back on brown the bottom? That's the method I used for years when we were traveling in the RV. It was a weekly routine to grill pizzas, and it was fairly easy once you dialed in the temps.