PDA

View Full Version : First hot and fast brisket. Any final tips?

lewisc
07-02-2019, 08:26 AM
Just about ready to sleep before waking up in 5hours to get the bbq ready for a hot and fast brisket. The brisket will be on at 6am and Hoping to serve around 2pm.

I’ve read heaps of threads (please excuse another) and quite a few that referenced bludawg’s brisket. That’s the basic plan I’ll be following.

The trimmed brisket weight is around 5.5-6kg (13pound). Not sure how you would grade it. It’s from an Aussie Costco - the packet called it a Angus Reserve Australian beef brisket. Grain fed for min 150days, Marble score 2+. Ive used it before but for a 12hour cook + 5 hour rest.

It’s trimmed (hacked) up, salt and peppered and ready to go. Any final tips?

CptKaos
07-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Can you start a couple hours earlier?
What kind of cooker?

Larry

rus_bro
07-02-2019, 09:49 AM
Can you start a couple hours earlier?
What kind of cooker?

Larry

What he said, and what is your plan for cooker temp?

8 hours is definitely doable, but you will probably be cooking over 300*F to get her ready in less than 7 hours. What would worry me, is getting enough rest time.

Just thinking about this give me anxiety... start at 4am :)

rb

The KGBBQ
07-02-2019, 11:34 AM
You will have to cook at 300-325 to have it done in time.

Wrap as soon as the bark is set. Wrapping accelerates the cooking process, so this will help you hit your time window.

Check doneness/tenderness in the flat. Dont be surprised if it needs to get to 210+ to get tender. Hot and fast briskets almost always finish at a higher temp. Ive seen as high as 218. I dont poke mine until they are 200 at least.

Rest the meat as long as you can.

Last packer brisket I cooked hot and fast on the drum was 18 lbs pre trim. It was in the cooler resting after 5.5 hrs. You have time.

lewisc
07-02-2019, 12:34 PM
Offset smoker - aiming to maintain 300degress plus or minus a bit.

Can’t sleep anyway - got about 3 hours and now super alert to get going. This always happens when the nerves kick in.

Looks like the pit will be up to temp by around 4.30am instead.

lewisc
07-03-2019, 07:56 AM
Well...I thought it was done. The flat was dry and tough - it was soft when I probed it. I got it wrong. Probably needed another 30mins. The point was falling apart tender. Looks like we’re making chilli this week with the flat.

Hotch
07-03-2019, 08:51 AM
I've had a couple of those. A quick fix is to put it in a half pan resting on top of a few 1.5" potato slices with some beef broth or a few beers at a level of 1/2'' deep. Seal the pan with foil and put it in the oven for and hour or two @ 325. Braising it will finish it. You will loose the bark but it will be moist and tender. :mrgreen: