PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Pork portioning help!

Diamond D'z
05-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Got a request to do a party for 140. They want pulled pork. Famous Dave's quoted 37lbs........anyone chime in on how many pounds they will need....

Don't trust Famous Dave's calculations or they may be right.

Yakfishingfool
05-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Is that cooked or raw weight? I'm guessing to serve 6oz per person with sides and the like. Just a guess on my end though. So 140 x 6oz = 840 oz, divided by 16 = about 50 pounds. Just a guess. S

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Rule of thumb is that it will cook down by about 50%, and you will need from 1/4 lb to 1/3 lb of cooked pork per serving. It is tough to get more than a 1/4 pound on a regular hamburger bun if sandwiches are being considered.

tony76248
05-21-2007, 08:24 PM
It would depend a lot on how much they are willing to pay and whether or not they are willing to pay for any additional leftovers. What else is being served? If it is only pork sandwiches then I would up that a bit. If there will be full sides such as beans slaw and potato salad 6oz is probably ok.

I would probably ask them how many pounds they want and try to make them lean towards the high end that way at least you won't run out. Also are you gonna have to serve the food. That would definitely cost something as well. Also who will be paying one person or all of the folks who will be eating. I cooked three pork butts and two briskets for 40 people and we had plenty left over. Then again we had all of the sides.

There are a bunch of folks here that will be able to offer you their opinions. That said, I can eat a pound of bbq by myself....if it is good I mean....:razz:

Diamond D'z
05-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Is that cooked or raw weight? I'm guessing to serve 6oz per person with sides and the like. Just a guess on my end though. So 140 x 6oz = 840 oz, divided by 16 = about 50 pounds. Just a guess. S

Cooked weight...I already charged 1.79 per side per person x 2 sides...just need to make sure how much cooked pork to provide.

thanks

SoEzzy
05-21-2007, 08:51 PM
http://www.bbq-review.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10 is my catering planner, download it and use it, it is a freebie, if you don't have a copy of Excel, there are links to a free office suite too!

I like to offer a 5.33 Oz /portion serving of PP, this is 3 servings / lb of cooked meat and you'd need 85 lbs to have the 47 lbs cooked weight needed.

If you want to go with smaller you can do the same at 4 Oz /portion, this is 4 servings / lb of cooked meat, and you'd need 64 lbs to have the 35 lbs cooked weight needed.

These figures are with a 55% yield and are about what I average...if you average more or less you can alter the yield figures to suit your averages.

Bentley
05-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Cooked weight...I already charged 1.79 per side per person x 2 sides...just need to make sure how much cooked pork to provide.

thanks

I woulds say if you are serving two sides, 6oz sandwich, if you are serving 3 sides 4 oz/sandwich. So if you are figuring 50lbs of cooked meat you need 100lbs of raw.

jbrink01
05-21-2007, 10:10 PM
and it is an even split of men to women and there is another meat option, then 35#. If pulled pork is the star of the show, then 50#.