View Full Version : Smoked Pit Beans

WineMaster
05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Made the Famous Beans this weekend and they were a WOW! '
Used Kevins recipie. Deleted the peppers
Things Rocked.

nmayeux
05-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Did you delete all the peppers??? That is a great recipe, but I kinda thought the peppers were pretty special... How about some pics?

tony76248
05-21-2007, 06:15 PM
where is this recipe posted? does it use canned beans or dry pintos?

nmayeux
05-22-2007, 10:34 AM
where is this recipe posted? does it use canned beans or dry pintos?
This is the original Kevin's Beans:

1 can Bush's "original baked beans" The "big boy" #10 can. About a gallon.
2 large yellow onions; chopped
2/3 cup of your favorite bbq sauce
1 entire green bell pepper - diced
1 entire yellow bell pepper - diced
1 entire red bell pepper - diced
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup "sugar in the raw"
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 cups pulled pork (save a quart back next time you cook a butt)
The pulled pork is a must include ingredient, don't skip it!
1/4 tspn fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tspn chili powder (I use fresh ground de Arbol)
1/4 lb uncooked bacon slices; cut into pieces
3 tspn texas pete hot sauce

Mix in a large pan (I use the aluminium hotel pans), and smoke for 4+ hours. I like to place the pan under a couple of butts to catch the drippings.

WineMaster
05-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Did you delete all the peppers??? That is a great recipe, but I kinda thought the peppers were pretty special... How about some pics?
Didnt have a choice. The gals at the party wouldnt even have tried them with the peppers in there. Really hard to cook and keep ALL happy without affecting the integrity of the dish but I think these were some of the best. Many people said so. ALL were happy. Could have been the 17 bottles of wine. But I think not

Cheers Dan

nmayeux
05-22-2007, 03:46 PM
WM,
All the peppers are bell peppers, and they "go away" during the cook. Maybe next time you try making it, and don't tell them what is in it. Please understand that I am not trying to be hard headed, but the peppers really do bring this dish to another level, especially after several hours in the smoke.

With that said, I'm glad your cook was a success. How about some pics of the spread?

SmokeWatcher
05-22-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm definitely going to try this recipe. Thanx.

2nd hand
05-22-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm printing this one out and will try at a memoiral day picnic. The only problem is that I don't have any leftover pulled pork. I'm smoking afew that morning but they won't be done til later unless I toss it in at the end.

nmayeux
05-23-2007, 07:48 AM
I'm printing this one out and will try at a memoiral day picnic. The only problem is that I don't have any leftover pulled pork. I'm smoking afew that morning but they won't be done til later unless I toss it in at the end.
Do a small boneless boston butt on your grill with hickory chips for about 3 hours at around 300 degrees. Wrap in foil, and finish in a 250 degree oven. This butt will not be as flavorfull as your normal Q, but works just fine in the beans.

Because of this, I always smoke an extra butt or two for beans and brunswick stew. The pork freezes wonderfully, and you are always prepared.

biffleg
05-23-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm definitely going to try this recipe. Thanx.

Second that!