PDA

View Full Version : Seasoning Assassin 48 Question

Daddio BBQ
06-25-2019, 05:11 PM
Looking for some advice on seasoning my Assassin 48. 95. Percent of the unit has that protective coat of oil on but the top rail and the bottom of the Vpan on the side I have charcoal on is an issue. The heat just keeps burning it off as I grill more than smoke. Do I need to coat in something like Crisco instead if the Pam spray or will I just always need to be on top of due to the highheat?

SmittyJonz
06-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Just gonna keep doing it from the Heat. After cooking, as it cools brush or scrape it and spray those parts. It’ll be an ongoing thing........

BBQ Freak
06-25-2019, 06:02 PM
spray with Pam and heat up to 250 degrees for 3 or 4 hours and then bump the temps up to 325 to 350 degrees for a couple hours and then let it cool down completely . I do my grates like a cast iron skillet and sometimes I do it twice but you got to get the pam hot enough to set up . throw a couple spatchcock chickens on there to will help with the grease . I got a video I think doing my Assassin on You Tube and search BBQ Freak .

BKING!
06-25-2019, 07:31 PM
What I would do is switch sides your charcoal rests on your charcoal grate each cook. If you are grilling and have the charcoal on the left side of the charcoal grate for your two zone set up just be sure to switch to the right side next cook. Seasoning will be burned off by hot charcoal from grilling. No way around that. Works the same way for the v pan as well. The side with no charcoal will season itself next cook.

BBQ Freak
06-25-2019, 08:19 PM
I missed read what you said but I do spray my grates every time lightly with pam and even do this with my stick burners and grill before every cook .

Daddio BBQ
06-25-2019, 08:50 PM
spray with Pam and heat up to 250 degrees for 3 or 4 hours and then bump the temps up to 325 to 350 degrees for a couple hours and then let it cool down completely . I do my grates like a cast iron skillet and sometimes I do it twice but you got to get the pam hot enough to set up . throw a couple spatchcock chickens on there to will help with the grease . I got a video I think doing my Assassin on You Tube and search BBQ Freak .

I don't remember a video for your assassin but I absolutely remember the video you did seasoning your Shirley grill and I did follow your instructions. Worked great other than these small areas I am burning off with the charcoal. To clarify I have the SS rod grates so there is no issue with them it's just the Vpan and the top rail the Vpan sits on

Daddio BBQ
06-25-2019, 08:54 PM
Just gonna keep doing it from the Heat. After cooking, as it cools brush or scrape it and spray those parts. It’ll be an ongoing thing........

Thanks I was figuringwas going to be ongoing. I will start scraping and spraying after cooking on the cool down though which I have not been doing

Daddio BBQ
06-25-2019, 09:00 PM
What I would do is switch sides your charcoal rests on your charcoal grate each cook. If you are grilling and have the charcoal on the left side of the charcoal grate for your two zone set up just be sure to switch to the right side next cook. Seasoning will be burned off by hot charcoal from grilling. No way around that. Works the same way for the v pan as well. The side with no charcoal will season itself next cook.

I thought about that but then I am burning off a side that is seasoned and protected perfectly right now and just bouncing back and forth with the sides. Any long term detriment to the metal if I just keep burning charcoal on the same side?

BBQ Freak
06-25-2019, 09:20 PM
your over thinking it and smoke on .

BKING!
06-25-2019, 09:25 PM
I thought about that but then I am burning off a side that is seasoned and protected perfectly right now and just bouncing back and forth with the sides. Any long term detriment to the metal if I just keep burning charcoal on the same side?

Well eventually if it begins to rust from the heat. Just don’t let it rust. It requires a bit of tlc. I like to do what I suggested above because it allows me to keep a layer of protective seasoning on to protect from the heat. The only other alternative to keeping it well seasoned is to have someone build you a deflector and charcoal grate out of 304 stainless. You obviously can’t paint it so seasoning is your only option and you do have to reapply over time to the high heat areas.

Daddio BBQ
06-30-2019, 01:40 PM
Thank you all again for the tips I have been spraying after cooks as it cools down and that has been working great. Pic of my rib cook from yesterday right before saucing them and you can see the far right part of the Vpan where the seasoning burned off.

And BBQ Freak thank you again for your videos on the Assassin thy were a big part of my decision to go with it and I am loving it.