PDA

View Full Version : "Mud" ... was watching BBQ Pitmasters Re-runs

jasonjax
06-07-2019, 07:30 PM
This was one where Dave Bouska of Butcher's BBQ was competing with Michael Character and Buzzi Hughes and one of the meats was a huge cowboy ribeye.

Dave won, and one of the things he did was apply "mud" to his steak. I'm guessing that the "mud" is a beef base which is what Myron theorized as well, but what exactly do you think it was. Definitely was dark like beef bouillon and spreadable.

Maybe beef bouillon, some form of oil, and a rub component.

Now if this is pretty close to what the stuff was, I got to wondering what the benefit(s) would be versus just a good rub and letting the beefiness of the ribeye do the talking. Maybe a more robust crust flavor?

Anyways got me wondering so figured I'd post to the brain trust here and see what you guys thought.

16Adams
06-07-2019, 07:37 PM
Vegemite

Titch
06-07-2019, 07:38 PM
Was it this stuff maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg2lxfAk20g

Smoking Piney
06-07-2019, 07:46 PM
I take anything from the BBQ Pitmasters show with a huge grain of salt...........the drama is staged, and do you really think these uber comp cooks are going to divulge their keys to the kingdom on a TV show? :-P

LYU370
06-07-2019, 09:00 PM
I actually asked him about that on the Cookshack forum after the episode was aired...

ANDYJ
5/25/15 9:04 PM
What is this BBQ Mud and will you be selling it?

TEAMBUTCHERBBQ
5/26/15 9:49 PM
Andy thanks for the post. At this time I will be keeping that in my own cabinet.

West River BBQ
06-07-2019, 09:16 PM
I saw the episode today as well. It was definitely a paste of some sort. Got me thinking about a crust.

ronbrad62
06-07-2019, 09:37 PM
I remember that episode as well and my guess is perhaps some seasonings mixed with a butter (compound) to make it paste- like and spreadable.

IamMadMan
06-08-2019, 05:04 AM
Was it this stuff maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg2lxfAk20g

Tom,

Two things that we do know are;
1) It was a brown paste applied to the meat.
2) It certainly wasn't Vegemite. (LOL)

SlickRockStones
06-08-2019, 06:04 AM
Could be a combo of his beef rubs and the grilling oil he makes.

cholloway
06-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Must have been a pretty tasteless rib-eye to begin with.
Good steaks don't need all that crap... just S&P, maybe a little garlic. (IMO)

jasonjax
06-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Must have been a pretty tasteless rib-eye to begin with.
Good steaks don't need all that crap... just S&P, maybe a little garlic. (IMO)

Competition cooking takes already great tasting meat to the next level. Can't really think like a normal food event. The judges need to be "wowed" by one or two bites. The ribeyes were SRF Wagyu so I'm sure they were pretty amazing.

hurricanedavid
06-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Looked like Beef Base to me. I always coat my Prime Ribs with it and nothing else, has an excellent flavor profile.:thumb:

LYU370
06-08-2019, 08:20 PM
Asked David if he'd share the recipe or at least give an idea of the ingredients since it's been a few years since that episode aired...

"Actually we started last week talking to a manufacture about it. SOrry but I wish to still keep it under wraps."