PDA

View Full Version : My UDS, done! First cook tonite!

keale
05-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Well, I'm finally done...almost, I'm working on a lid, using another barrel, I can't find a weber cover, thats what you get for living on a island!
I want to STATE tha this was done my someone who is "Mechanically Disabled". No welding, or torch was used, ( I probably would have burned myself or the house down). I used a jigsaw, drill, grinder, file, pliers, and thats about it.
So no excuses, for whoever wants to build one...If I can, really anyone can!
Its not the prettiest, I know, but I really got a kick out of building it!:-P
As for the color, my daughter helped me pick it, I wanted something different, and that would stand out...I couldn't find Hot Pink...so...
My first cook is tonite, 3 butts, ribs, and maybe a chuck roast,(can't find brisket over here) So people, start sending the advice! I know the food cooks quicker, what is the time range for butts, and when does the ribs go in...I want to be brave and start @ night be ready for lunch/brunch...

I want to thank these guys for helping, sorry if I missed anyone....
SMOKIN GATOR, BIGMISTA, DEEZ, TONY, THIRDEYE, MODELMAKER, I PMed them to death! Thanks guys...

keale
05-18-2007, 06:05 PM
sorry the pics are so huge, add computer disabled to that list...
whats a Firt?

motley que
05-18-2007, 06:10 PM
looks good. go to any auto parts store and find engine/caliper paint if you want funky colors. heck some walmarts even have them. they are for up to 500 so you should be ok

Lakeside Smoker
05-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Looks great man! Nice job. Please post some food pics of the first cook.

Mike

Single Fin Smoker
05-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Keale your a UDS stud!!!

Congrats man! Food pics to follow please!

Norcoredneck
05-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Reminds me of.......

http://www.beyondtherainbow2oz.com/pic07tin-man.jpg

Cook on brother!

keale
05-19-2007, 05:13 AM
Started the fire about 11:30pm..., its almost 12:30, my temps are low, very low, had it about 230, put on the meat, and temps down, I know its common, but I'm gettin a hard time bringing it back up, all nippples open, even took off the ball valve... I know everyone is crashed out, but any advice would be great, I took off the lid for a little while to get the coals on fire again...will keep you posted

ROY

swamprb
05-19-2007, 05:38 AM
Try giving the coals a shake, the ashes may be building up and not getting enough air circulation. That usually does it for me.

Brian

jv431
05-19-2007, 05:53 AM
Good job on the UDS. I hope your cook has done OK. I think generally shaking the build up of ashes out like swamprb said will get your temps up. Also if you are using just the thermometer in the lid like it is in the photos, you know the temp will be higher at the cooking level. You may be using a digital thermometer at grate level to get your temp, if not I would suggest that. I would personally mount one at grate level. I like your drum and color. Nice job.

tony76248
05-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Yes give the coals a shake or stir and that will bring the temps way up. You did a nice job. Those butts may take up to 15 hours depending on how big they are and what temps you can maintain. You also might finish them in the oven if you get to that. Also, if you are looking you aint cooking. The ribs I would go with the 3-2-1 method. Three hours with smoke, two hours wrapped in foil, then final hour smoke. Adjust those times accordingly, they are based on 225 degrees. I would take them off when the meat draws up on the bone about 1/2-3/4" or when you can give a bone a twist and it pulls right out.

Have a catfish cookoff today with DeeZ, wish us luck and I will check your post when we get home. I will tell DeeZ if he hasn't already seen your post.

keale
05-19-2007, 06:00 AM
Thanks Tony, The temp is going up slowly, I'm tired! its 1:00 am!
I got crazy and said , my first cook will be at night!
Good Luck on you contest! Sound interesting! I have pics of my other lid, made out of another barrel...will post later....

Smokin Gator
05-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Roy,

As long as you are over 200 you are alright. When you put that much on the drum it seems to take a while at first. My theory is there is so much moisture at first that the coals have a hard time igniting. Yesterday I did 5 beer can chickens. I knew it would be a tight fit so I used more briqs in the chimney to start and let the temps get hotter than I normally would before I put the birds on. It seemed to work... I didn't get as much of that temp struggle right at the beginning.

PM me your number when you get up... I'd like to know how it is going.

icemn62
05-19-2007, 07:05 AM
I used a jigsaw, drill, grinder, file, pliers,

I don't even have those tools. I am still the most mechanically challenged brethren member.

The is a good lookin Drum smoker. I would keep it that color if possible.
Hope the cook came out okay, looking forward to the finished report and pics.

keale
05-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Thanks Gary, even if doesn't work, at least it looks nice!:rolleyes: Just like when I play golf, I play crappy, but at least I look good, well...Thats just my opinon anyway, I'm going to bed its 2:20am!
Will send pics, need to go by my office later to do it...

Scrooge Fan
05-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Looks like good work, Keale. Nothing more fun than building your own cooker. Then, after your first cook you get to tinker with it. You know, like a hook or two to hang grilling tools. Maybe you could cut a piece off a broom stick, cut it in half, and screw it on both sides of your handle to diffuse the heat. If there's room. If your sabre saw hasn't completly rusted away. Wow! That salt air is not kind to tools.

Although I haven't done it yet myself, I think a home built cooker should have a name and picture on it. You know-personalize it. I'll bet you can get some wild suggestions from this group.

It's hard to see your firebox in the pictures. Did you just make a basket from expanded metal?

Let us know how your firt cook came out. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

ModelMaker
05-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Keale,
I knew you could do it !! Nice job.
You might want to add a few more holes to the lid I think I have 8 spread around mine. They are always open during a cook. Also, how much charcoal did you start with. Lately I've been starting with around 8-10 lbs and using around 25 pcs of those fired up (Minion Method) in the middle of the firebox. Mine is up to operating temp 235*ish in about 20 min.
ModelMaker

keale
05-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Ok, temps are driving me MAD! Lack of sleep does it to ya!
Temps at top of lid is about 180, too a temp on the grate 230ish after 5 min. Hot air rises, what gives.
I started the fire over, piled the coals higer, added more... its working Thanks Smokin!

Meat temp is about 150...put the ribs on

Good night! Drat, I have to my sons and daughter fundraiser! I'm screwed, I don't trust this cooker to leave it alone...

keale
05-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks to fellow brethens, everything is going great!

A BIG Thanks to SmokinGator, who even called me in Hawaii to give me a helping hand

tony76248
05-19-2007, 06:53 PM
All must be good! Trust it!

Smokin Gator
05-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks to fellow brethens, everything is going great!

A BIG Thanks to SmokinGator, who even called me in Hawaii to give me a helping hand

OK you farker... how does it taste????

Don't make me call you again!!!

Dovid
05-19-2007, 10:21 PM
A very good looking UDS! Did you do anything special to fit the upper extension to the main drum?

outside ed
05-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Hang in there it will get better. I am trying to work the kinks out of mine. Ed.

keale
05-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Somebody roll me over, not to be biased but, it tastes great...:-D
Will post pics later, I can't move right now... My transplant buddy from N.C, just hit the 26 mile wall, thirds!! He came over and made "Sweet Tea"
Dang thats good stuff.

Brent, thanks again for the call, amazing! It was like talking to a long lost buddy! Now thats the true meaning of a brethen!

I need to go shred the other 2 butts, its payday for all the people who helped me out.

Blutch
05-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Sounds like your cook went just like mine did the other night. Look for the thread - Briskets in the Drum. Same nightmare. Food was farking incredible though.

Good work!

B

Norcoredneck
05-20-2007, 01:31 AM
I'm here at work. 62 miles from home. Got brisket on in drum cruising at 220 Deg. Will check when I get home. Only thing better would be Spicewine chugging along and a cooler full of, wait 1/2 full of beers, and being at home. Oh well gotta pay the bills. Thank god for drum since I work alot.

keale
05-20-2007, 01:40 AM
One day, I'll be comfortable like that! Thats awesome! Well I actually left for 2 1/2 hours today without checking temps, and it was holding nicely.

tony76248
05-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Glad your first cook went well. You will learn to trust the drum. It is just like any other smoker. When I got my Stumps I had to relearn a few things but patience is everything. Now I have a few options and I don't even think about how I am cooking. My Komodo has become my simple favorite, but my drum should be finished soon and then who knows.

You might want to invest in a Stoker, it is like an insurance policy, it will help you trust you equipment with less worry. Just a thought.

Oldbob
05-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Great Job on the Drum Brother !! and Great Post too !! Thanks for the Pictures !!