PDA

View Full Version : Insulated cabinet vs. Offsets

atmosphere0284
05-30-2019, 03:37 PM
So, I'm looking to upgrade from my Pit Barrel Cooker...love it and will keep it is as long as it will last but lately I have been getting requests from friends asking me to smoke meats for them and the PBC capacity just is not there. I've only ever done BBQ on UDS style cookers so I'm a bit nervous making the switch to a different type of smoker.... again I need the capacity. By no means am I catering for a bunch of people but I'd like to be able to say throw a full packer or two on, 2-4 pork butts and maybe some ribs.

I've been looking at different manufacturers LonestarGrillz, Fat Daddy Smokers LLC, Ironside Smokers, Backwoods, Shirley, Yoder...

I ran my PBC with a CyberQ to get low and slow cooks and I liked the fact that I could get some sleep on overnight cooks because it just ran on its own. I know it boils down to fuel efficiency and it seems that an insulated cabinet smoker would be the right choice for that but I'm also liking vertical offsets (Fat Daddy smokers "Titan" or LonestarGrillz vertical offsets. Could these be ran with a Guru unit overnight or do I really only have one option in an insulated cabinet? I like to use hardwood lump charcoal with wood chunk flavor of choice so that would be my fuel source.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance... Joe.

mcyork28
05-30-2019, 04:18 PM
The LSG verticals have an optional coal basket. I don't have one but that option might let you get some sleep through the night and give you an offset at the same time. Maybe somebody that actually has one will chime in.

luv2smoke
05-30-2019, 04:34 PM
I like to use hardwood lump charcoal with wood chunk flavor of choice so that would be my fuel source.

Sounds like an insulated cabinet would be your best option. I made the switch from a stick burner to my insulated cabinet and never looked back. Best of all with my cabinet I didn't have to compromise flavor for convenience. I get the same or better results with my cabinet as I did with stick burner and better yet I don't have to search for large quantities of wood and the space to store it.

atmosphere0284
05-30-2019, 04:39 PM
Sounds like an insulated cabinet would be your best option. I made the switch from a stick burner to my insulated cabinet and never looked back. Best of all with my cabinet I didn't have to compromise flavor for convenience. I get the same or better results with my cabinet as I did with stick burner and better yet I don't have to search for large quantities of wood and the space to store it.

do the insulated cabinets allow you to form a good quality bark?

Springram
05-30-2019, 04:56 PM
My only comment is this: the flavor profile of smoked meat from my BGE's and my Weber with the SlowN Sear is different compared to that from my LSG vertical offset. The flavor profile of ribs, etc is different when I use my Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC).

It is all about personal preference. I prefer my stick burner and the favor of burning wood for large meats such as briskets and pork butts. Ribs are fantastic on the stick burner but I prefer the fat dripping on the coals in the PBC for ribs. The ease of cooking smaller meats on my Weber makes more of an everyday cooker. Getting to the point I rarely use my BGE.

wire-it-up
05-30-2019, 05:04 PM
I have a Humphrey's Weekender, and I love it. Easy to use, capacity is right for me, but I wouldn't have minded a slightly larger one. The bark on the meat it turns out is great. No complaints whatsoever with the Humphrey's.

pharp
05-30-2019, 05:06 PM
So, I'm looking to upgrade from my Pit Barrel Cooker...love it and will keep it is as long as it will last but lately I have been getting requests from friends asking me to smoke meats for them and the PBC capacity just is not there. I've only ever done BBQ on UDS style cookers so I'm a bit nervous making the switch to a different type of smoker.... again I need the capacity. By no means am I catering for a bunch of people but I'd like to be able to say throw a full packer or two on, 2-4 pork butts and maybe some ribs.

I've been looking at different manufacturers LonestarGrillz, Fat Daddy Smokers LLC, Ironside Smokers, Backwoods, Shirley, Yoder...

I ran my PBC with a CyberQ to get low and slow cooks and I liked the fact that I could get some sleep on overnight cooks because it just ran on its own. I know it boils down to fuel efficiency and it seems that an insulated cabinet smoker would be the right choice for that but I'm also liking vertical offsets (Fat Daddy smokers "Titan" or LonestarGrillz vertical offsets. Could these be ran with a Guru unit overnight or do I really only have one option in an insulated cabinet? I like to use hardwood lump charcoal with wood chunk flavor of choice so that would be my fuel source.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance... Joe.

I went from PBC to Humprheys IVC (still have the PBC and quickly picked up a second Humphrey's because they were awesome).

I actually light my Humphrey's just like I light the PBC, lit coals on top let them wick down.

Had a very short learning curve and could not be happier having both. Feel free to let me know if you have any specific questions. As far as the fuel, what you listed would work great. Good luck.

https://i.imgur.com/YbFXrEql.jpg

luv2smoke
05-30-2019, 05:06 PM
do the insulated cabinets allow you to form a good quality bark?

I can't speak for all of them but yes my cabinet produces fantastic bark.

pjtexas1
05-30-2019, 05:51 PM
I'd say my insulated cabinet can get really close to my stick burner. I'd go cabinet first since it's not such a drastic change like an offset would be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BillN
05-30-2019, 05:58 PM
Sounds like you would be happiest with an IVC...

https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/smokers/products/large-insulated-cabinet

atmosphere0284
05-30-2019, 06:01 PM
Sounds like you would be happiest with an IVC...

https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/smokers/products/large-insulated-cabinet

I have been eyeballing that IVC but I think if I go that route I would go with an Ironside Smoker... they are a couple hour drive from me so I'd be able to pick it up.

TC Smoke & Que
05-30-2019, 07:07 PM
I have been drooling over the Meadowcreek BX50 cabinet h2o smoker for a while now, I personally like the water smoke and this one will also smoke dry. Several competitors use it and are winners. I have seen it in action, good bark, controlled cook almost a set it and forget it (almost). Will hold quite a bit of meat and different types at a time. Made in America . Check it out I think you will be impressed.

atmosphere0284
05-30-2019, 07:17 PM
I have been drooling over the Meadowcreek BX50 cabinet h2o smoker for a while now, I personally like the water smoke and this one will also smoke dry. Several competitors use it and are winners. I have seen it in action, good bark, controlled cook almost a set it and forget it (almost). Will hold quite a bit of meat and different types at a time. Made in America . Check it out I think you will be impressed.

I'll take a look... thanks!

lsuillini
05-30-2019, 08:28 PM
Check out Humphreys if you're interested in an insulated cabinet. I have a pint which I love.

I find the results similar to my Big Green Egg, but with much more space.

Hoosier1960
05-30-2019, 08:37 PM
Check out T&K Smokers from Central Indiana. Todd always gets rave reviews.
https://www.tkbbqsmokers.com/?fbclid=IwAR1-8s5O54REEioBr8jRlV4EUgX8tKFZbw71vjQwlhmjxjsuSbORfv Mz9Dg

carl_694
05-30-2019, 09:46 PM
Any thoughts from owners on how these compare to kamados? I'm debating between a insulated cab snd offset. Wonder if the cabinet is a good choice for someone who already has a KJ.

W.I.T.W.A.G?
05-31-2019, 10:23 AM
Any thoughts from owners on how these compare to kamados? I'm debating between a insulated cab snd offset. Wonder if the cabinet is a good choice for someone who already has a KJ.

the biggest difference will be cooking capacity. There is alot more room in a cabinet so you also dont get as much radiant heat from the cooker itseld as you do with a KJ/ egg style cooker.

atmosphere0284
05-31-2019, 01:43 PM
Check out Humphreys if you're interested in an insulated cabinet. I have a pint which I love.

I find the results similar to my Big Green Egg, but with much more space.

I have looked at Humphreys. Nice cookers but Ironside has caught my eye for an IVC. They are also close enough to me where i can make a short drive and pick the cooker up.

atmosphere0284
05-31-2019, 01:44 PM
Check out T&K Smokers from Central Indiana. Todd always gets rave reviews.
https://www.tkbbqsmokers.com/?fbclid=IwAR1-8s5O54REEioBr8jRlV4EUgX8tKFZbw71vjQwlhmjxjsuSbORfv Mz9Dg

I'll take a look... thanks!

Big George's BBQ
05-31-2019, 02:26 PM
If you like cabinet check Meadowcreek I believe there is a dealer in IL They have 2 Both are really nice

ArnieTex
05-31-2019, 03:34 PM
I am always so surprised no one on here ever mentions Hasty Bake's? I was cooking on them since 2015, the Legacy 132 to be excact. Having had so many different grills and smokers, and still own 17 of them lol and also being a small time fabricator and built several customs for friends over the years. The Legacy is such a great all around work horse and of all the grills/smokers I have ever owned I must say the Legacy is the best all around do all backyard and even comp cooker I have personally owned.
Not as efficient and a drum or most cabinet smokers (but its basically a square drum)
However with the ability to cook direct and indirect and using the deflector gives you the whole cooking surface to smoke on it's just a great all around bbq cooker to slow smoke or hot grill, very very few or cookers can do it all in one compact package. I own three legacy's now and did compete all year 2018 on just two with great results.
The Gourmet I have not owned but plan to get one soon for the extra capacity.
Good luck whatever you decide on.

https://www.hastybake.com/

Here is a review of the stainless 132 model and several videos show the HB's cooking all sorts of meats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNBqpYtDjwQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnxOJ_Un-QF_KYqbPRAfLNw/videos?view_as=subscriber