PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Smoke on the Shirley Fab Vets appreciation cook

InThePitBBQ
05-26-2019, 07:51 PM
Every year over the Memorial weekend we host a cook at the house for all the Vets in our family and those we know in the community it's always a pleasure to give something back and I really look forward to it every year.

They always want my homemade Kielbasa and smoked corn so this year we did it again and had a great time seeing everyone.

Started with just the corn and some bacon for the beans for the first hour.

https://i.imgur.com/t0GryEel.jpg

Got a couple pounds of bacon ready to go into the bean pan and the sausage is on.

https://i.imgur.com/yYLQtfgl.jpg

Sausage and beans are ready!

https://i.imgur.com/rMBBJhDl.jpg

Corn is smoked and some of it is getting served Elotes style.

https://i.imgur.com/sbHNSrcl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kuxfaa4l.jpg

Big thanks from our family to the veterans and active duty men and women in uniform we love and appreciate all of you!

WilliamKY
05-26-2019, 08:03 PM
Heck yeah.looks excellent. Next Memorial Day if you need an assistant I could probably venture up I-65. I'm all about honoring our service members and vets and maybe get a few Shirley pointers too. :-D

cowgirl
05-26-2019, 08:08 PM
Great that you do this Bob, very kind of you!
Everything looks delicious!

InThePitBBQ
05-26-2019, 08:08 PM
Heck yeah.looks excellent. Next Memorial Day if you need an assistant I could probably venture up I-65. I'm all about honoring our service members and vets and maybe get a few Shirley pointers too. :-D

I'd love to have you if you can make it! This cook used to be a whole lot bigger than it is these days, we lost so many Vets the last 10 years it's sad to think about it but new faces are welcome anytime and the food is usually pretty good.

My better half made a beautiful cake with white truffel frosting topped with blueberries and strawberries that stole the show and I didn't grab a pick before they cut it up but that was really a nice way to top off the meal.

Kitchgator
05-26-2019, 08:12 PM
Thank you for honoring our vets. Especially with your homemade sausage, I know that was a labor of love.

Hoss
05-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Thank YOU. Wonderful that we still have folks like you around.I am sure they all appreciated your kind gesture,I know that I do.God Bless you and yours.

InThePitBBQ
05-26-2019, 08:30 PM
Great that you do this Bob, very kind of you!
Everything looks delicious!

Thanks Jeanie, I'm always humbled and it's a pleasure to hear from you I hope your enjoying the weekend!

Thank you for honoring our vets. Especially with your homemade sausage, I know that was a labor of love.

It really is, no one I'd rather make it for.

Thank YOU. Wonderful that we still have folks like you around.I am sure they all appreciated your kind gesture,I know that I do.God Bless you and yours.

Thank you and God Bless you and your's enjoy the weekend!

PatAttack
05-26-2019, 08:40 PM
Way to roll, Bob!

ruger35
05-26-2019, 09:31 PM
Awesome job showing the vets some much needed appreciation. Care to elaborate a little more on the corn process?

tom b
05-26-2019, 09:36 PM
food looks great, thank you for the effort

InThePitBBQ
05-26-2019, 09:44 PM
Way to roll, Bob!

Thanks Pat hope you guys are enjoying the weekend!

Awesome job showing the vets some much needed appreciation. Care to elaborate a little more on the corn process?

Corn soaks in cold salt water for a couple hours then goes on with the pit in the 275-300* range two hours is usually about right.

When it's done cooking we brush on a coating of heavy mayo aka food service mayonnaise as it holds up better over time without separating when it comes into contact with warm or hot food.

For basic seasoning a light coating of chili powder and Parmesan cheese is hard to beat.

food looks great, thank you for the effort
Thanks Tom hope you guys have a great weekend!

Norm
05-27-2019, 04:19 AM
Thank you Bob, folks like you make us all proud to be an American.

Dweverett
05-27-2019, 05:24 AM
Great job and for a great cause!

Taylormade
05-27-2019, 05:43 AM
Fantastic all around!

ruger35
05-27-2019, 06:18 AM
Thanks Pat hope you guys are enjoying the weekend!

Corn soaks in cold salt water for a couple hours then goes on with the pit in the 275-300* range two hours is usually about right.

When it's done cooking we brush on a coating of heavy mayo aka food service mayonnaise as it holds up better over time without separating when it comes into contact with warm or hot food.

For basic seasoning a light coating of chili powder and Parmesan cheese is hard to beat.

Thanks Tom hope you guys have a great weekend!

I keep seeing all this talk about mayo on corn and I'm not sure I can bring myself to eat it lol. I think I will have to try it though.

Stingerhook
05-27-2019, 06:34 AM
Great thing to do Bob, the food looks pretty fantastic to.

DanB
05-27-2019, 08:00 AM
Good job taking care of our Vets!!!:thumb::thumb:
DanB

Big George's BBQ
05-27-2019, 08:13 AM
Awesome Thank you for doing that

InThePitBBQ
05-27-2019, 09:30 AM
Thank you Bob, folks like you make us all proud to be an American.

Likewise my friend, you and your's are as good as they come and we appreciate you!

I keep seeing all this talk about mayo on corn and I'm not sure I can bring myself to eat it lol. I think I will have to try it though.

I know, I considered it an affront to salted butter until we tried it last year at the request of a customer for a catering gig and people were lining up for 3rd's and 4th's we had to go after another load of corn and we've been doing it ever since.

This was the first year the Vets have had it and the ones that tried it really liked it and I'm partial to it myself now.

Great thing to do Bob, the food looks pretty fantastic to.

Thanks Marty, it's modest compared to most things you'll see me cook but that's what they want and all they want I used to do brisket and bunch of sides and no one touched it.

But that corn, sausage and pit beans get's eaten or hauled home in to go containers without a morsel left every year and we like that.

~Hope you guys are having a great weekend!

cfrazier77
05-27-2019, 08:36 PM
Thank you for doing this, the food looks good too.

Hoss
05-27-2019, 08:42 PM

Mayo instead of butter on grilled cheese bread rocks too,try it.