PDA

View Full Version : Oh my my Umai

bbqwizard
05-19-2019, 10:08 PM
My wife bought me some Umai bags for my birthday. Needless to say I was pretty excited about it. So, I went out and bought a small rib roast. I'll let the photos do the talking. Ok, well with some commentary :wink:

The first post of photos is during the process. We ended up trimming it today instead of the 18th as written.

bbqwizard
05-19-2019, 10:12 PM
Throughout the process you can smell the subtle differences as it aged.

When I broke the seal the VERY mild aroma was that of aged cheese. The texture was also similar to a nicely aged cheese.

Joshw
05-19-2019, 10:14 PM
Looks great, I find myself looking at the charcuterie bags quite often. One of these days, I am going to give them a try.

bbqwizard
05-19-2019, 10:17 PM
We decided to invite my in-laws over to help enjoy this awesome thing....

I fired up the cooker got the skillet hot, and threw in some smoked beef tallow I had made the day before. I added some garlic herb butter just before serving.

I encourage everyone to try this method the first chance you get. I WON'T be my last!

ShadowDriver
05-19-2019, 10:24 PM
Great walk-through, Phillip.

I need to join the crowd now that we have some extra fridge space in the garage.

Great shots of those in the skillet, especially with the herbed butter at the end.

Have a great week!

bbqwizard
05-19-2019, 10:41 PM
Looks great, I find myself looking at the charcuterie bags quite often. One of these days, I am going to give them a try.
Do it! A very fun process, start to finish.
Great walk-through, Phillip.

I need to join the crowd now that we have some extra fridge space in the garage.

Great shots of those in the skillet, especially with the herbed butter at the end.

Have a great week!
Thanks brother! You definitely do. I'm not going to lie. This could get quite addicting.

Happy Hapgood
05-19-2019, 10:50 PM
Think you just pushed me over the edge of trying it.

Thanks!

bbqwizard
05-19-2019, 11:54 PM
Think you just pushed me over the edge of trying it.

Thanks!
I think you'll be glad you did. It's a little un-nerving watching an expensive piece of meat age like that, but after literally one day and we could see the process was working, I was hooked.

Capt
05-20-2019, 05:39 AM
What a great process! Thanks for sharing!

jasonjax
05-20-2019, 06:32 AM
I've been very happy with the UMAI dry bag aging process. The only PITA part is getting the vacuum sealer to vac-seal the bags properly. Otherwise the process is straight forward and created some amazing beef.

Big George's BBQ
05-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Sounds amazing That is something I would like to try

EdF
05-20-2019, 09:53 AM
We just took out a pancetta on Saturday. 4 weeks. Came out great!

Pedro7
05-20-2019, 09:54 AM
I've been very happy with the UMAI dry bag aging process. The only PITA part is getting the vacuum sealer to vac-seal the bags properly. Otherwise the process is straight forward and created some amazing beef.

That was the only issue I had too. I got it sealed, but it was a pain. I'm going to do the water/zip ties method next time.

I also couldnt be happier with the results.

bbqwizard
05-20-2019, 11:52 PM
What a great process! Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure!
Right on. I think it was tricky. I can't remember, but, if I recall I had to try it twice.
We just took out a pancetta on Saturday. 4 weeks. Came out great!
Awesome! Photos?

EdF
05-23-2019, 01:37 PM
My pleasure!

Right on. I think it was tricky. I can't remember, but, if I recall I had to try it twice.

Awesome! Photos?

Unfortunately I'm on a road trip at the moment.