PDA

View Full Version : 36 hours ok?

FireBrewer
05-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Hello Brethren,

I'm planning on smokin' some baby-backs and a butt on Saturday and I have to work tomorrow (24 hour shift). If I wait until Saturday morning the rub will only have 4 hours tops on the meat. Is it ok to put the rub on tonight, probably about 36 hours in the fridge?

Thanks!

Plowboy
05-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I think less is more on ribs. You don't need a lot of time for the rub to penetrate. I don't hardly rest mine at all anymore.

Four hours should be fine on the pork and the ribs. I wouldn't do 36 hours personally.

big brother smoke
05-17-2007, 10:38 AM
It depends on what type of rub you are using. A high salt base will leave your ribs hammy (cured). The butts are not as much of a concern with the extended time the rub is on them. You can inject your butt and apply the rub on the ribs right before cooking. .02

swamprb
05-17-2007, 10:38 AM
I would not do it if the rub has salt in it. Only because I've done it a couple times before and they came out tasting Hammy like Norco says.

Brian

SP
05-17-2007, 10:39 AM
I agree with Todd. Less time is better than too much.

nmayeux
05-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Hell, the rub won't hurt anything. I ususally soak my butts in marinade for 24 hours or so (at least overnight), and then pat dry and rub down for the next day. A couple of times a cook has been put off due to the weather, my wife, lack of bourbon, etc., but the meat has always turned out pretty damn good. I think you should be fine. However, I always go light on the ribs with the rub, and I don't marinade them either. The cuts are too thin.

FireBrewer
05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
You can inject your butt and apply the rub on the ribs right before cooking.

That's the problem, I won't be home the night before. Leave at 5am tomorrow morning, back 8am Saturday morning.

Just has "salt to taste" per the recipe...so only a little bit. Still ok?

Thanks guys. :-D

nmayeux
05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
That's the problem, I won't be home the night before. Leave at 5am tomorrow morning, back 8am Saturday morning.

Just has "salt to taste" per the recipe...so only a little bit. Still ok?

Thanks guys. :-DYou'll be fine. If you are worried, then do the butt now, and the ribs on Saturday. Then you will know you will be safe.

Norcoredneck
05-17-2007, 10:49 AM
36=hammy

Sawdustguy
05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
I would think that 36 hours with rub on them they would start to cure because of the salt in the rub. I would think they would start to taste funny.

Bigmista
05-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Ain't pork grand? Awfully hard to mess it up.

Mooner
05-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Firebrewer, rub on ribs need no time at all. I usually put the rub on about an hour before I throw them on the smoker. This gives just enough time for the rub to set and the meat to warm to room temp. 4 Hours is plenty and probably too much, you'll be fine.

nmayeux
05-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Ain't pork grand? Awfully hard to mess it up.These guys seem to think its pretty easy...

kickassbbq
05-17-2007, 11:56 AM
I have put on rub days in advance. I now put on my rubs on right before I put my meat on the smoker.
I have done it both ways and I can't tell the difference AT ALL.
So, put your rubs on right before your smoke.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know if it's the right way, it's just the way I do it.
Smoke On!!!!!!

bbqbull
05-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I rub my ribs and butts and let them rest about an hour as well. Then into the smoker.
In the past ive rubbed them and cooled them all nite. We couldnt honestly tell the difference.
Good Luck Firebrewer and be safe!

Bull

Dovid
05-17-2007, 04:18 PM
I heard somewhere (Alton Brown?) that the salt draws out moisture first for a few hours and then later pulls it back in, bringing flavor deep into the meat. 36 hours though I agree with the others could be pushing it!

bertkemtncurs
05-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I'd go with less time for both the ribs and butt. I don't leave my rub on pork for more than about an hour tops before it goes in the cooker nowadays. I like the results. I guess its just what your preference is!

CajunSmoker
05-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Most times I just cut the package open, rub it down and throw it on the grates. I've done the overnight bit with the rubs and wrapped in plastic and all and I can't tell any difference. May be because of the beer intake during the cook though.:biggrin: The only thing I always do is get that damn membrane off the ribs.

FireBrewer
05-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Sounds good then, will put it on the second I get home. Gotta teach the wife how to do this so she can back me up when I'm at work. :biggrin:

Thanks again!!

JohnMcD348
05-17-2007, 09:55 PM
I usually rub my meat right after I light off my coals. I used to rub it early but found it to sometimes(not always) have an offtaste probably from beginning the curing. When I put it on just prior, I haven't noticed a big difference in taste or quality. If I have time to do it a little early like maybe 3 hours or less, I'll rub it down good and put it back in the fridge until I get the cooker going.