PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Oil for seasoning; any issues with allergies?

Lake Dogs
05-13-2019, 10:38 AM
In the past I'd used Canola Oil (gave off a funky smell) and Lard (crazy messy) when seasoning my smoker(s). I'm seriously considering using Peanut Oil, so I'm curious:

If you've used Peanut Oil in seasoning your smoker, did you ever have anyone with a Peanut allergy have an issue?

upStomp
05-13-2019, 12:32 PM
As long as it's refined Peanut Oil and not some crafty boutique stuff, you should be fine.

Disclaimer: IANAD

Nuco59
05-13-2019, 01:09 PM
I would not think there'd be a problem with the peanut besides the price.

I've seasoned one or two- the store brand veggie oil in the spray can- seems to work fine.

Canola has a "funky smell"? Lard is a "crazy mess"? /shrug ok - I'll have to go with your experiences.

jimstocks53
05-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Once you've cranked up the heat to 'season' the smoker there should not be a problem. The heat will denature any of the proteins to which someone might be allergic. Just to be sure warn someone with a serious nut allergy (anaphylaxis/epi pen) for the first couple of cooks - then ignore it. But please understand that peanut oil cannot be purified enough to not cause reactions. If you have family or friends at risk - lose the peanut oil.

Big N Hot
05-13-2019, 07:32 PM
I, too have experienced an off smell from Canola. For a second, it smells like I'm cooking fish.

BillN
05-13-2019, 08:24 PM
Saw this...

*Highly refined peanut oil is not required to be labeled as an allergen. Studies show that most people with peanut allergy can safely eat this kind of peanut oil. ... But avoid cold-pressed, expelled or extruded peanut oil—sometimes called gourmet oils.

Peanut Allergy | Food Allergy Research & Education
https://www.foodallergy.org/common-allergens/peanut-allergy

Mike in Roseville
05-13-2019, 09:06 PM
I, too have experienced an off smell from Canola. For a second, it smells like I'm cooking fish.

I’ve noticed that with some non-dairy margarines when I used it in my rib wrap. I switched to a different brand and the smell was gone.

SmokinAussie
05-13-2019, 11:03 PM
Go Keto and try coconut oil. It has a pretty high smoke point like Peanut Oil and less chance of a reaction.

guero_gordo
05-13-2019, 11:29 PM
ftr, high smoke point is no real advantage for seasoning

Lake Dogs
05-14-2019, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys! I'd used lard in the past with great success, but yes, warmed up and doesn't go through a sprayer, it has to be sorta "mopped" on with a rag. As I'm talking about a LARGE smoker (ala. a Lang 84), I end up getting lardy myself... I'd used canola before, and even after the burn off, it still had a peculiar smell. I guess there's just no reason to risk it with peanut oil. I may use it (peanut oil in a spray bottle) on the outside, like on the firebox to keep it from rusting...

BTW: There are people who are "super tasters". Another old brethren, landarc, is a super taster, as am I. For BBQ, when eating it, I can tell you what wood(s) were used to smoke and I can tell you pretty much the make-up of the rubs (if left on) and the sauces.