PDA

View Full Version : Old Country Smokers in Michigan?

ChetPunisher
05-02-2019, 02:07 PM
Does anyone know if there is a retailer that sells Old Country Smokers in Michigan?

bschoen
05-02-2019, 02:19 PM
Is there an Academy Sports in your area? They carry Old Country.

ChetPunisher
05-02-2019, 02:20 PM
No. No Academy in Michigan. Closest is 5 hours away in Indiana.

Displaced Texan
05-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Unless I am mistaken, Old Country is made exclusively for Academy. I tried to find one elsewhere and have failed miserably. I did find several articles about them "teaming" with academy to make new smokers though. Let me know if you find one. I am interested in one as well.

WilliamKY
05-02-2019, 03:38 PM
No. No Academy in Michigan. Closest is 5 hours away in Indiana.
https://media.tenor.co/images/773db8535cc2635ec5f9e301b3cf215d/raw

ChetPunisher
05-02-2019, 03:40 PM
Trying to decide if shipping would be cheaper. 9 hour round trip.

Capt
05-02-2019, 04:45 PM
At 5 hours for the trip I would call ahead make sure they have a few in stock and make the trip! I drove 3 hours each way to pick mine up and let me tell ya if you have never been to an academy they are a treat! They have good prices on just about everything you could want.

stepheneleven
05-03-2019, 01:55 AM
Make the trip so you can pick out a good one. I just had a Brazos shipped and the left side of the door was so out of round, I could stick my pinky thru it. A good quarter inch gap along 8 inches of the left side. I just sent it back on Wednesday and am not having it replaced. I will never order something like this again without seeing it in person first

SmittyJonz
05-03-2019, 02:19 AM
Academy and Bucees is 97% of Old Country’s Business. They sell a few models in 3/16” and 1/4” to places ( mom n pop Ag stores and Hardware stores in Texas n Oklahoma) who retailed Old Country before he got the Academy Account and Now Bucees Travel Centers.

Wolverine
05-03-2019, 04:19 AM
If your in Holland short ride to Shipshwanna,Wellspring smokers, they have lots of cookers

Czarbecue
05-03-2019, 08:19 PM
I always find myself looking at the Kingsford stick burner at Home Depot. It’s pretty solid. Only thing I don’t like is the exhaust location.

gambler
05-03-2019, 09:14 PM
Make the trip so you can pick out a good one. I just had a Brazos shipped and the left side of the door was so out of round, I could stick my pinky thru it. A good quarter inch gap along 8 inches of the left side. I just sent it back on Wednesday and am not having it replaced. I will never order something like this again without seeing it in person first

I've researched the Brazos as well. There is a channel on YouTube called Mad Scientist Bbq and the guy has a video where he rates the Old Country Bbq Pits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m2Z8A6hf7s

But Like stepheneleven said, it's better to go down there and pick out the best one. From my research I've found that the quality control isn't the best, and they vary from one to the other. But if you find a good one, they are an excellent deal.