PDA

View Full Version : Need to know about thermometers...

MTHank
05-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Looking to get a thermometer and would like to get the right one the first time… What would be the best bang for the $$? Is a dual read meter a good idea? One for meat temp and one for smoker temp. As well is a remote read meter a good idea??? And... where to get.
Thanks.... MTHank

Smokin Gator
05-16-2007, 11:53 AM
I love the NuTemp 701 that I have. It comes with one sending/probe unit and the base station. You can add up to two more sending/probe units.

I usually have one monitoring the pit temp using the probe through the potato mod and the other two into the meats. I put the base station inside the house and set it to scan the three different probes.

They aren't cheap, the range isn't that great, but for me it has been near perfect.

I'm sure others will chime in with thoughts on this one as well as other brands.

A therma pen it on the horizon though!!!

SP
05-16-2007, 12:03 PM
If you are going to cook alot of meat at once the themapen. If you are cooking one or 2 things at a time them a good probe themometer. I like the maveric et-73 but alot have had problems with it.

jtfisher63
05-16-2007, 12:11 PM
I just recently bought the maverick ET-73 and love it. I like that on the pit temp you can set alarms for high temp and low temp.

Jason