PDA

View Full Version : Jambo Backyard vs Shirley 24x42 Patio vs LSG 20x42

rawcalls
04-24-2019, 11:30 AM
Currently have a Yoder Santa Fe Offset Trailer and, while it works ok, I am not really happy with the way it drafts and it's fairly difficult to keep even temps in the swirling winds we have in western Nebraska. I admit that I am pretty much a newby when it comes to fire control on an offset but I don't think my Santa Fe drafts well even on super calm days. I see it reverse drafting even with the slightest little breath of breeze or when there is zero breeze at all.

If you had the money to spend on one of the 3 pits mentioned in the title, what would you get and why? What upgrades would you get?

Most of the time I only cook for 2-4 people so I never really need anything bigger. Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Big George's BBQ
04-24-2019, 02:50 PM
I would prob pick Jambo if nothing else because of the name and reputation All 3 have great reps

jdtTX
04-24-2019, 03:34 PM
Jambo.

I prefer traditional flow, so Shirley isn't my thing. The LSG is significantly cheaper than the Jambo so you could add some options, but it's still smaller (even with the creative shape).

SmittyJonz
04-24-2019, 04:17 PM
I would go with the Shirley or LSG. If I was buying right now I’d probably just order the 20 x 42 Lonestar grills because you would have it in a few weeks and I just like the size and style of it - esp with off-road package. :heh:
Nothing wrong with the Jambo but I’ve cooked next to them a few times at my buddies Memorial day barbecue bash last couple years - wasn’t nothing special.......

rawcalls
04-24-2019, 04:31 PM
Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. I appreciate your input.

rawcalls
04-24-2019, 04:34 PM
SmittyJonz,
The one thing I really like about the Jambo is it comes with an insulated firebox. Any idea if that option is available on the LSG?

SmittyJonz
04-24-2019, 04:49 PM
SmittyJonz,
The one thing I really like about the Jambo is it comes with an insulated firebox. Any idea if that option is available on the LSG?

Not Sure. Insulated fireboxes on offsets help but it’s not a Major difference, except for paint lasting.......I mean they’re better and if it was an option on a pit I was considering I would probably get insulated depending on the cost -but I don’t know that it helps enough for me to pick one pit over another because one has insulated firebox option and one doesn’t - if everything else on the pit was right. Of course now I’m in Texas or we don’t have harsh winters - but I know most of y’all aint gonna be running a stick burner in your harsh winters........... y’all have “barbecue season” —— down here barbecue season is year-round .

As far as draft -nose up /nose down can make a difference on a pit. Wind will affect almost any pit -sometimes all you got to do is turn your pit 90*or 180° . other times it’s good to have a wind block......

ruger35
04-24-2019, 04:54 PM
I didn't consider Jambo but included the other two options you have listed. I went with the LSG even after owning a Shirley. I would love to own another Shirley someday, but I didn't feel like waiting and the LSG is traditional/top flow so that is what intrigued me.

I have also owned a 24x48 LSG and one of their IVS. Top notch quality, which is why I decided to go with LSG again. A lot of rambling but in summary: little to no wait, even cooking temps, great QC, little duel use, cheapest option.

rawcalls
04-24-2019, 05:17 PM
Not Sure. Insulated fireboxes on offsets help but it’s not a Major difference, except for paint lasting.......I mean they’re better and if it was an option on a pit I was considering I would probably get insulated depending on the cost -but I don’t know that it helps enough for me to pick one pit over another because one has insulated firebox option and one doesn’t - if everything else on the pit was right. Of course now I’m in Texas or we don’t have harsh winters - but I know most of y’all aint gonna be running a stick burner in your harsh winters........... y’all have “barbecue season” —— down here barbecue season is year-round .

As far as draft -nose up /nose down can make a difference on a pit. Wind will affect almost any pit -sometimes all you got to do is turn your pit 90*or 180° . other times it’s good to have a wind block......

Haha, you're right. We do have a "barbecue season" but I'm not smart enough (or I'm too stubborn) to wait around for that. I barbecue year round as long is the wind isn't howling. If it's too bad, I use my BGE to get my fix.

Stlsportster
04-24-2019, 05:35 PM
I run my Lang year round. Did a cook last year when it was 11F. Thick steel. Once it got hot it ran like a champ with mildly increased wood usage. No insulated firebox.

I’m a fan of reverse flow and love the Shirley models but the wait is long unless you can find used.

Lots of guys I respect on this forum like the LSG line and say the folks are great to work with.

pjtexas1
04-24-2019, 06:00 PM
LSG's new design has me staring at their site way too much. That's what I would pick if I didn't want to wait. I got my Shirley when it was only a year wait. I love insulated fire boxes. I doubt LSG will add that option. I'm not a big Jambo fan. No reason. Just not for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ToOTHroTT
04-24-2019, 06:14 PM
You can get the insulated fire box on the LSG. When I got my 20X42 built I did not spend the extra cash for the insulated box but I live in California so we can Q all year round without snow :-D I can say the pit is built like a tank and if you plan to roll it around I would get the upgraded wheels. The pit is awesome and I can not be happier.

Pappy Q
04-24-2019, 06:30 PM
Jambo. If you ever sell it, you’ll actually make money on it.

WilliamKY
04-24-2019, 06:38 PM
The LSG and the SF are beautiful cookers but I'm leaning towards a Shirley IF the lead time really is 3 weeks or so as Paul said. I like those big wheels on the patio model and the reverse flow cabinet. I never imagined choosing a cooker would be so difficult.

4ever3
04-24-2019, 07:09 PM
I do t get the big deal on the insulated fire boxes on an offset, that being said... My list is Jambo, LSG, shirley...

DBBQ
04-24-2019, 07:15 PM
I also keep staring at the LSG Site 20x42 with the offroad package. I have bought too big of a smoker several times, and this seems ideal for moving it around and actually getting it my backyard.

rawcalls
04-24-2019, 07:34 PM
You can get the insulated fire box on the LSG. When I got my 20X42 built I did not spend the extra cash for the insulated box but I live in California so we can Q all year round without snow :-D I can say the pit is built like a tank and if you plan to roll it around I would get the upgraded wheels. The pit is awesome and I can not be happier.

Actually you can't. I asked LSG today and the insulated firebox is only available on the 24" models, not the 20" models. I would definitely get the off-road package if I go with a LSG.

BBQ Freak
04-24-2019, 08:16 PM
all are great smokers but I would not worry about a insulted firebox and the only reason I bought them was to save the paint because I liked my smokers looking new . If anything I would buy a 1/2" firebox to last longer and is what I am getting on my next Shirley .

pjtexas1
04-24-2019, 08:39 PM
I bought a used offset that was 3/16". The original owner left it outside under a patio for 15-20 years. I left it uncovered outside for 10. Firebox still had a lot of life left when I sold it. My point is 1/4 will last forever even if you don't really take care of it. Any thicker isn't necessary. If you are really worried you could get the bottom of the fb in 1/2" as that's the only part that will really wear out or an ash pan. Insulated fb is to save the paint or little ones that might get too close.

jdtTX
04-24-2019, 08:39 PM
Yeah, to me the insulated firebox on the Jambo doesn't really matter. My brother has a J5 and it's a badass pit. Phenomenal draw.

rawcalls
04-24-2019, 08:42 PM
all are great smokers but I would not worry about a insulted firebox and the only reason I bought them was to save the paint because I liked my smokers looking new . If anything I would buy a 1/2" firebox to last longer and is what I am getting on my next Shirley .

Are insulated fireboxes not much more efficient? The only reason it is any concern is because where I am at in western Nebraska, there aren't many trees and almost zero hardwoods. I have to drive almost 3 hours to northern Colorado to buy my splits. It isn't cheap either so any efficiencies there would be kind of important to me.

jdtTX
04-24-2019, 08:46 PM
Are insulated fireboxes not much more efficient? The only reason it is any concern is because where I am at in western Nebraska, there aren't many trees and almost zero hardwoods. I have to drive almost 3 hours to northern Colorado to buy my splits. It isn't cheap either so any efficiencies there would be kind of important to me.
I think this depends on what you're willing to cook and how. Some (Franklin most notably) shy away from an insulated firebox because that's just residual heat cooking the meat vs heat from the burning wood.

rawcalls
04-24-2019, 08:58 PM
Also keep in mind that probably 40% of my cooks are done when it is below 50 degrees outside (some even below 30 degrees outside lol). Would an insulated firebox not help in those situations? Not trying to argue at all. These are serious questions because I really don't know.

jdtTX
04-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Also keep in mind that probably 40% of my cooks are done when it is below 50 degrees outside (some even below 30 degrees outside lol). Would an insulated firebox not help in those situations? Not trying to argue at all. These are serious questions because I really don't know.

It definitely would.

SmittyJonz
04-24-2019, 09:02 PM

I'd think 10-20% Fuel Savings at Most.....I dunno.....I've cooked on a cpl of other guys pits with insulated fireboxes a few times but Never owned one.
you are Not gonna use half the wood that non insulated would..........they use a little bit less wood, have smaller temp swings/tighter temp range and react a lil faster to intake changes or adding wood.

pjtexas1
04-24-2019, 09:11 PM
I use splits that are half or 1/3 the size of the full splits I used in my little 24x36. The insulated fb is pretty efficient in my 24x55 elevated straight back. Wood is cheap fuel for me.

SmittyJonz
04-24-2019, 09:14 PM
I'll always have both a charcoal smoker and a stick burner BUT if I lived where wood splits were Expensive or Hard to get I'd only Have a Charcoal Smoker insulated cabinet - or 2.

them Myron Mixon H2O 's are Fully insulated stick burners and use less wood................

rawcalls
04-24-2019, 09:21 PM
I'll always have both a charcoal smoker and a stick burner BUT if I lived where wood splits were Expensive or Hard to get I'd only Have a Charcoal Smoker insulated cabinet - or 2.

them Myron Mixon H2O 's are Fully insulated stick burners and use less wood................

I know that's what I should get but I LOVE traditional stick burners and the whole process of cooking on one and maintaining the fire and just becoming a true pitmaster. Lol, that probably sounds silly but that's where I am at.

SmittyJonz
04-24-2019, 09:31 PM
I use splits that are half or 1/3 the size of the full splits I used in my little 24x36. The insulated fb is pretty efficient in my 24x55 elevated straight back. Wood is cheap fuel for me.

Well that Would be 50% wood savings but they are not same pits...........

Paul, Do you think the Same pit -one with 1/4" Firebox and one with insulated firebox would that Big a difference in wood used.?
I ccoked on a cpl of Muscrats with insulated firebox and he swore by them but didn't seem to use half the wood. A buddy has a homemade one with insulated firebox and it seems to use about what I use in BoomShuckaLucka - but she's a direct firebox vertical.........

pjtexas1
04-24-2019, 10:42 PM
Well that Would be 50% wood savings but they are not same pits...........

Paul, Do you think the Same pit -one with 1/4" Firebox and one with insulated firebox would that Big a difference in wood used.?
I ccoked on a cpl of Muscrats with insulated firebox and he swore by them but didn't seem to use half the wood. A buddy has a homemade one with insulated firebox and it seems to use about what I use in BoomShuckaLucka - but she's a direct firebox vertical.........I think it saves at least 30% but how the heck can you really measure? I'm going by the fact that I never used to re-split wood on my little offset to run at 300. I have to split it twice or 3 times on my shirley. The little fb was hot... you could feel the heat from a good distance and splits would ignite on the fb lid. You gotta get right up near the insulated to feel heat. To get a split to ignite while preheating on the shirley it has to be in the fb and sometimes it doesn't ignite.

Direct heat is definitely different. Maybe we can do a side-by-side at the next bash with hotch's shirley after we finish cooking? His is smaller and not insulated. Should put an end to this debate or stir the pot. :heh:

marvda1
04-24-2019, 11:55 PM
you will burn more wood when it rains on a non-insulated firebox.
take a look at the rockin w smoker, he has a unique way of avoiding wind problems and stopping cold air from hitting your fire, there is a chamber that pre-heats the air before it hits the fire. he developed these while competing in -20 degree temps in alaska.

http://www.rockinwsmokers.com/pit-details

offset1968
04-25-2019, 07:52 AM
The question regarding an insulated firebox is all related to how you like to run your fire as a pit master.

Some like a 'running' fire the whole time.
I am in this camp and in this case as mentioned by others and a la 'Franklin' you do not want (or need) an insulated firebox.
Outside temperature has very little to do if you as a pit master run your fire in this manner.

Some like to get to the point where you have a thick coal bed and a very slow smoldering fire with perhaps one big split at a slow burn.
In this case an insulated firebox is going to help.
Outside temperature can come into play here as a pit master.

In some cases with a pit that is poorly designed you are forced one way or the other.

Given my preference of fire management style you would known that I am not a reverse flow person, so my vote would be Jambo and then LSG.

Lastly, Jambo pit designs have proven themselves as Grand Champions over and over again.

Shagdog
04-25-2019, 10:42 AM
If you are having wind trouble, none of the pits listed will run any better or worse than your current pit. You need to figure out how to address that problem separately. Turn your firebox away from the wind, hide it behind a wind break, something to keep the wind out of your firebox. There isn't a stickburner out there that would solve that problem.

And buy a Shirley. They're the best.

Honestly all of those pits are great. You can't go wrong with any of them. Paul's charitable giving toward veterans pushes me toward SF even if they are all even otherwise. SF resale is just as good as a jambo.

SmittyJonz
04-25-2019, 11:52 AM
I would call all three and whoever is willing to put a Camo paint job on it - that’s the one I would pick

hdbrs
04-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Nice to hear opinions on the firebox argument. When I get to the top of the line that is the one issue I'm struggling with the most. Half inch to me seems plenty stout to last forever but then it's the "what's another cpl bucks at this point" thought that keeps popping up.

pjtexas1
04-25-2019, 12:56 PM
Nice to hear opinions on the firebox argument. When I get to the top of the line that is the one issue I'm struggling with the most. Half inch to me seems plenty stout to last forever but then it's the "what's another cpl bucks at this point" thought that keeps popping up.Would you like to make that a large drink and fries for only $.50 more?

KingRanch450
04-25-2019, 04:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAqt9oCjOE

Rockinar
04-25-2019, 05:37 PM
I currently have an insulated firebox. I don't know how much wood it saves (I would not agree with 50%) but I like that it saves your hand or arm if you touch it. My uninsulated Klose radiated a ton of heat and if you touched the firebox with your hand, you're going to the hospital. My insulated I can hold my hand on the top of the firebox with a ripping fire going for probably 2 solid seconds before I have to remove it, no burns just a really warm hand.

Id go with insulated if it's an option. I don't think you will regret it. Worst case is you will decide "Eh, did not really need it."

If you go with LSG, I personally would opt out of the firebox grill top. I had one on my Klose and hated it. Small and kinda useless. It's taking the heat so the paint will start to peel in all those corners after a couple months, it will leak a little bit, it becomes more maintenance you would not have with a flat top.

marvda1
04-25-2019, 06:16 PM
if you look at the back of the firebox of the rockin w backyard smoker the air has to go around the plate over the intake so you don;t have to turn it away from the wind.

jdtTX
04-25-2019, 06:48 PM
if you look at the back of the firebox of the rockin w backyard smoker the air has to go around the plate over the intake so you don;t have to turn it away from the wind.

Jambo does the same

pjtexas1
04-25-2019, 07:23 PM
More firebox discussions. Damn I miss peeps! :heh:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D207224&ved=2ahUKEwiXxvXEuuzhAhUO7awKHVN1AK8QFjALegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1pco0qiO8AfuHTFptZJlLy

rawcalls
04-26-2019, 04:19 PM
Just wanted to tell everyone thanks for all of the advice and opinions. I placed my order today with LSG. Went with the 20x42 with the off-road package, 1/2" fire grate, charcoal basket and 2 probe ports. Now the tough part begins - the 6 week wait haha.

In the end, what really sold me on the LSG was their customer service and option to add the off-road package which will allow the pit to be a lot more mobile. I really, really like the Jambo Pits and I spoke with Jamie about adding an "off-road" package to his pit. He said they could probably do it for me but I just couldn't justify the cost he quoted me. He also wouldn't budge on putting a chrome stack on the backyard model for me haha. Said if he did one then he would have to start doing a bunch.

Anyway, just wanted to give an update on what I decided and tell everyone thanks again.

Springram
04-26-2019, 05:00 PM
I currently have an insulated firebox. I don't know how much wood it saves (I would not agree with 50%) but I like that it saves your hand or arm if you touch it. My uninsulated Klose radiated a ton of heat and if you touched the firebox with your hand, you're going to the hospital. My insulated I can hold my hand on the top of the firebox with a ripping fire going for probably 2 solid seconds before I have to remove it, no burns just a really warm hand.

Id go with insulated if it's an option. I don't think you will regret it. Worst case is you will decide "Eh, did not really need it."

If you go with LSG, I personally would opt out of the firebox grill top. I had one on my Klose and hated it. Small and kinda useless. It's taking the heat so the paint will start to peel in all those corners after a couple months, it will leak a little bit, it becomes more maintenance you would not have with a flat top.

Agree 1000%.

SmittyJonz
04-26-2019, 07:11 PM
:clap2: I’m Jealous.........

jermoQ
04-26-2019, 10:36 PM
Havent looked at all of them, but by name, Jambo would be my first.