PDA

View Full Version : Pastrami ~ Fine Tuning The Pressure Finish

thirdeye
04-21-2019, 12:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ypppSOm.jpg

A friend of mine is a chef, graduating from the CIA some 35 years ago. He can make ice sculptures, knows how to make all of Auguste Escoffier's 5 mother sauces and has a toque blanche.... but he doesn't have a smoker. Long story short, one of his daughters turns 30 this weekend and he asked me to make some pastrami for the birthday party. I'm usually pretty particular about food I cook, a little more picky when I give things away, and real picky when I give food to my buddy.

I smoked the pastrami until 155° then did a pressure finish for 37 minutes at 13 psi, then allowed a natural release which takes about 15 minutes. I didn't feel the tenderness I wanted, so I pressured back up for 7 minutes and allowed a second natural release. The level of tenderness was in the top 5 list (and I've done hundreds), and I can't help but wonder if the two stages of finishing, and two periods of natural release works better than a single finishing step. I'm so curious that for the next few cooks I'm going to shorten my finish time and intentionally process them a second time.

https://i.imgur.com/X5fl4Zb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wPC6QML.jpg

Big George's BBQ
04-21-2019, 02:53 PM
That looks amazing. Lucky friend

Moose
04-21-2019, 03:00 PM
That's some fine looking pastrami, Wayne!

My version of pastrami is different in that I fully smoke the meat, then steam it cold after it's been deli style sliced. It's much easier to get the meat sliced thin when it's cold.

However, you have me thinking...maybe I should give your two step pressure cook a try, then chill it till the next day and slice then a light steam to heat the meat.

MisterChrister
04-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Thank you for sharing this. My pastrami is decent, but yours always looks WOW! When you talk pastrami, I listen, when you're "fine tuning", I'm taking notes! Thanks for always sharing your passionate pursuit of perfection with us, you're a tremendous asset to this site!

campdude
04-21-2019, 04:09 PM
Very fine looking meat. I don't have a pressure cooker but that sounds like a great ides.

thirdeye
04-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Thank you for sharing this. My pastrami is decent, but yours always looks WOW! When you talk pastrami, I listen, when you're "fine tuning", I'm taking notes! Thanks for always sharing your passionate pursuit of perfection with us, you're a tremendous asset to this site!

Thanks for the kind words. Barbecue, as all things in life is a journey not a destination. A little fine tuning always helps.

-Chris-
04-21-2019, 09:09 PM
Those look incredible. Why 37 minutes? I am trying to understand your formula so I can try this myself.

Thanks,
Chris

thirdeye
04-21-2019, 10:32 PM
Those look incredible. Why 37 minutes? I am trying to understand your formula so I can try this myself.

Thanks,
Chris

It's all trial and error. Years ago I started with 30 minutes and that wasn't quite enough time. I went to 40 and that was good, but a tick over. In a pressure cooker every 2 minutes is like 10 minutes in the oven.

-Chris-
04-21-2019, 10:39 PM
Cool, now I get the logic. So what is your elevation? I wonder what temp you are getting at 13 PSI?

I pulled my pressure cooker out an hour ago and will go buy a corned beef tomorrow!

Chris

KClandcruiser
04-22-2019, 08:50 AM
That looks amazing! I think I need a pressure cooker in my life

Charny
04-22-2019, 09:49 AM
Thank you for the update, and for your efforts to improve and share the recipe. I know you have been working on it for many many years, always trying to get it just a bit better. I have smoked a few converted corned beef pastrami's lately using your recipe. I have some in the fridge right now, and I'd say it is 50-50 whether it is still there for breakfast hash tomorrow.

I can imagine how "twice exercising" the meat could improve texture. Almost like tempering chocolate, or multiple sets of exercise ;)

Beyond the great flavor, there is something special about the mouth feel of biting through a really tall stack of pastrami when the texture is right. It's tender, but not fall apart or mushy. And of course it doesn't require particularly thin slicing.

I steam finish and am looking forward to trying the pressure finish. The "black box" aspect of the pressure cooker makes me a bit nervous. But your success with the two step shows you can just sneak up on it.

thirdeye
04-22-2019, 09:51 AM
Cool, now I get the logic. So what is your elevation? I wonder what temp you are getting at 13 PSI?

I pulled my pressure cooker out an hour ago and will go buy a corned beef tomorrow!

Chris

I live at 5400', which means water boils at 203° instead of 212° at sea level. So, I can't take advantage of that 9° when doing a standard braise in the oven. In a pressure cooker, an increase in pressure yields an increase in temperature, and I believe at 15psi (the maximum for my pressure canner) the boiling point of water is 230° to 250°. I use 13 psi as it's the recommended pressure for canning at my elevation, and I have modified my jiggle weight to rock at 13.5 pounds. When I temp roasts after the pressure cooker cools down I can often see 205°, but the natural release time can be 15 minutes.

It's interesting to note that I will get some additional darkening which I never get when braising in the oven. And the broth is very tasty since it's contained. I will start with 1 cup of broth and 3 or 4 cups of water (enough so the level is above the trivet rack), but you need to look in your manual for liquid recommendation for your pressure cooker.

thirdeye
04-22-2019, 10:14 AM
Thank you for the update, and for your efforts to improve and share the recipe. I know you have been working on it for many many years, always trying to get it just a bit better. I have smoked a few converted corned beef pastrami's lately using your recipe. I have some in the fridge right now, and I'd say it is 50-50 whether it is still there for breakfast hash tomorrow.

I can imagine how "twice exercising" the meat could improve texture. Almost like tempering chocolate, or multiple sets of exercise ;)

Beyond the great flavor, there is something special about the mouth feel of biting through a really tall stack of pastrami when the texture is right. It's tender, but not fall apart or mushy. And of course it doesn't require particularly thin slicing.

I steam finish and am looking forward to trying the pressure finish. The "black box" aspect of the pressure cooker makes me a bit nervous. But your success with the two step shows you can just sneak up on it.

You are very welcome, and I agree with finding the perfect combination of texture and flavor.... that suits you. I also like your term of "twice exercising" because that's exactly what's happening.

I've been around pressure canners my whole life, my Grandparents had a root cellar full of canned meats and vegetables. In addition to cooking roasts of all kinds, or smoking roasts and finishing them in a pressure cooker, I still pressure can my own corned beef, chicken breasts, country spare ribs, trout, salmon and steelhead. I have one regular stovetop pressure cooker, and a small pressure braiser. Safety-wise I've never once had any event. My canner has a gauge, a jiggle weight, and a rubber pop-off. I has to be 30+ years old and there is still parts support. I buy new gaskets every 2 or 3 years. My stove top cooker operates at only 10 or 11 pounds, and has a built in vent. My braiser is likely the safest and it boasts 5 safety systems and a colored gauge, it's designed in Switzerland and is very heavy duty.