PDA

View Full Version : DigiQ question

GA1dad
04-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Been two weeks thinking on which controller to buy. I'm struggling to make up my mind. Money wise I "can" afford most any controller I want,, but barely. I really like the Fire Board for it's probe quantity and the ability to operate the fan at variable speeds.

On the other "cheaper" side of the coin is the DigiQ. For a little more than the cost of the Fire Board, I can buy two DigiQ's and have one for a backup. I know they have been used for years with no problems. But "I" don't have any experience using one. So I wanted to reach out and ask,,,,, for those that use one,,,, does the DigiQ do what you need of it? Can you depend on them in a competition setting?

Home Farm BBQ
04-17-2019, 08:34 PM
DiqiQ is very dependable. I’ve had two of them. Never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IamMadMan
04-17-2019, 08:35 PM
I've used a Digi-Q II for 6 years with no issues of any sort. One of the features that I like about it, is the ramp feature. When the ramp feature is enabled, and the meat begins to approach the finish temperature setting, it ramps the temperature of the cooker down to prevent over-cooking if you are not paying attention.

Burnt to a T
04-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Get a digi q to control the fan pit temp and 1 meat temp and a signals from thermoworksthat has 4 more channels for meat temps or 3 for meat 1 for another pit temp. It also has wifi if you want it.

With the digi q I have multiple meat and pit probes with color bands on them. I plug unplug to have 4 meat probes and 2 pit probes with one controller. Not the most efficient but works. You can have as many this way you want. Like I said just not the most convenient way.

GA1dad
04-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. Another question. This controller will be used on a Deep South Small Single Chamber model. They list both the medium Pit Viper and and the larger Pit Bull. My thoughts are to go ahead and buy the bigger one in case I ultimately get a bigger cooker,, however,,, the Pit Bull isn't too much fan for the small gravity fed cooker is it?

Dubs
04-17-2019, 09:54 PM
I just purchased the DigiQ DX3. It works perfect. It has settings for various smoker sizes which I really like and some other features I have not turned on due to my needs. The ramp feature that was mentioned is something I turned off as I want a continual temp. I had the CyberQ WIFI but found it to be a pain and really used it without the WIFI.

As for the fan - I have a Backwoods Chubby and the Pit Viper Medium. I would buy that for a smaller to medium sized smoker. Plus the new damper is easier to use.

KB BBQ
04-17-2019, 11:44 PM
I have 2 Digi Q's and they are rock solid. Highly recommended.

Happy Hapgood
04-17-2019, 11:49 PM
I have the little Brother, the PartyQ (battery only) and it's been Great on my WSM for overnight gigs.

cheez59
04-18-2019, 05:08 AM
I’ve had 3 DigiQ’s for many years. They are easily the best bang for the buck and are totally dependable.

ebijack
04-18-2019, 06:58 AM
I bought my DigiQ used.
Lasted a few weeks then stopped working correctly. And lost signal from even new probes.
Back to old school self control. Once set, they run steady till the coals are gone, or you shut them down. No more failures in the middle of the night for me.

Big George's BBQ
04-18-2019, 03:13 PM
I have a DigiQ and love it They also have a CyberQ which you can use Wifi with If you are wondering about which fan call them They have great customer service

smokeacholic
04-18-2019, 08:25 PM
My DigiQ got damp and hasn’t worked since. Prior to that it worked great.

patrickd26
04-18-2019, 08:50 PM
I own both. You're not going to go wrong either way. If you like to play with charts, view temps while away, and just like gadgets, then go FB.

I don't think you should worry about having a backup device. They are both great products and backed by great support. My recommended setup is the BBQ-Guru fan (sized for your cooker) and the FB w/ Drive cable. It works great!

ChrisBarb
04-19-2019, 07:00 AM
I bought my DigiQ used.
Lasted a few weeks then stopped working correctly. And lost signal from even new probes.
Umm, used?

Blue Kettle
04-19-2019, 07:29 AM
I have the little Brother, the PartyQ (battery only) and it's been Great on my WSM for overnight gigs.

How is battery life on the PartyQ?

ebijack
04-19-2019, 07:30 AM
Umm, used?
Yep, after buying a new flameboss that would not work. I tried a different brand used. Cheaper and out alot less money.
Don't expect I'll buy any brand again. Confidence in my cookers.
Adding electronics added more time baby sitting than when burning pure wood in any of my cookers.

dward51
04-19-2019, 03:51 PM
I've been running a Digi-Q II since they first came out with that model in 2006 or 2007 (can't remember). 100% reliable and I'm still using the original probes and fan. Basically it will hold the set temp as long as there is fuel to burn. Body of the unit is metal and durable. No problems with the buttons wearing out or the display over the years I've had mine. I run a 10cfm Pitviper fan on a WSM and have never had an issue at all. I would not hesitate to buy or recommend the Digi-Q units. And yes I have used it in competitions (but I don't compete much and only locally). I have 100% confidence in the unit hold temps and I've done the 4 butt smoke in the WSM so many times, I don't even worry about it any more once the meat is on. I thought about their wifi model when it came out, but I'm so confident in the non-wifi, there was really no need to spend the extra money IMO. Still using that original one.

A Digi-Q will make a smoker about as set and forget as it can be (for anything other than electric).

twoguns
04-19-2019, 08:14 PM
I have both and haven't used guru scene I got fireboard 2 years ago. Guru is great but fireboard is in it's own league with the drive cable and guru fan.

Happy Hapgood
04-20-2019, 01:01 AM
How is battery life on the PartyQ?

With 4 AA (New) batteries, 3 16 hour cooks easily. On the 4th may fail half way through.

DanB
04-20-2019, 07:33 AM
I have both and haven't used guru scene I got fireboard 2 years ago. Guru is great but fireboard is in it's own league with the drive cable and guru fan.

:thumb::thumb:

GA1dad
04-20-2019, 02:57 PM
Well, I sucked it up and ordered the DigQ 3 this morning,,, with the medium fan. Thanks for all the input, it was enough to get me through the tough decision. As usual,,, the Brethren are the best!!!

pduck
04-21-2019, 09:29 PM
Is anyone using a Digi-Q on an offset smoker?