PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Rub recipe?

Diamond D'z
05-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I have a nice sweet rub for my ribs but looking for a lees or non sweet rub for brisket. We are going to do up a few briskets this weekend and looking for a good rub recipe. I have heard mention of the use of celery salt? Anyone got a good recipe?

Papa Hogg
05-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Brisket Texas style...salt & pepper only. I usually add some chili powder, cayenne, white pepper & dry mustard

Puppyboy
05-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Brisket Texas style...salt & pepper only. I usually add some chili powder, cayenne, white pepper & dry mustard
Do you use that at comps or just in the yard?

backyardchef
05-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Salt, pepper, garlic......a little cayenne.

Puppyboy
05-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Salt, pepper, garlic......a little cayenne.
Are you shaking that on or mixing it then rubbing it on?

Dustaway
05-15-2007, 12:37 PM
here is one of KC's Rubs

1/2 cup Brown sugar (sifted) For Brisket reduce to 1/4 cup 2 Tbsp Hickory salt 1 Tbsp Celery salt 2 Tbsp Accent 2 Tbsp Onion powder 2 Tbsp Garlic powder 1 Tbsp Chili powder 1 Tbsp Paprika 1 Tbsp Black PepperCooking Instructions:Combine all. Rub. This rub will work on anything, but is especially good on pork. Heat on this rub is quite mild. Substitute 2Tbsp of Tony C's (or Tony C's extra spice) for 1 Tbsp of the hickory salt and 1 Tbsp of the Accent to "kick it up a notch" OR Add 1 Tbsp Cayenne pepper.

D.B.Cooper
05-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Ya got that right. The simpler the better.

Salt & Paprika 50% mix
Pepper
Cayenne (my case hot NM chile powder)
Onion (optional)
Garlic (optional)

I worked in Texas for a year in the late '90s. When I was done I needed to start Q'n. After a few years I couldn't get that taste down until I used oak.

Oak & Pecan wood, a simple rub and you will have a mighty fine brisket.

Bigmista
05-15-2007, 01:15 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=134&category=*BBQ%20BRETHREN%20SAUCES,%20RUBS,%20MARIN ADES (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=134&category=*BBQ%20BRETHREN%20SAUCES,%20RUBS,%20MARIN ADES)

Got that from the RECIPE section. Link is at the top of the page.

Papa Hogg
05-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I use the simple blend in the backyard & at comps...
I feel with brisket you really want the beef flavor to be at the forefront, the spices are just subtle enhancements 8-)

thirdeye
05-15-2007, 01:48 PM
If sea salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder (sprinkled on, gut feeling/eyeball method) doesn't get it, try this.

1 c. kosher salt
¼ cup garlic powder
¼ cup onion powder
1/8 cup ground thyme
1/8 cup ground bay
1/8 cup black pepper
1/8 cup celery seed
1/8 cup Hungarian paprika.

backyardchef
05-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Are you shaking that on or mixing it then rubbing it on?

Done it both ways. Usually, I just eyeball a good mix of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper and then add a chit ton of granulated garlic (which I love) and a few healthy sprinkles of cayenne. You can add paprika, dried beef broth, dry mustard, oregano, and some sugar to this as well, depending on your mood......

Bigmista
05-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Do you shake it or rub it? Must resist. Not Woodpile...

backyardchef
05-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Do you shake it or rub it? Must resist. Not Woodpile...

A little of both....:cool:

Diamond D'z
05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Great advice guys....I think i will try a non sugar type rub for brisket....now please chime in on BUTT post please. I do want that beefy flavor from the brisket. Butt however, what do you guys think works best?

CajunSmoker
05-15-2007, 03:50 PM
A good coating of Tony Chaceres creole seasoning is my favorite on brisket

Tony's recipe

20 oz box free flowing salt (Morton')
1 1/2 oz box ground black pepper
2 oz bottle ground red pepper
1 oz bottle pure garlic powder
1 oz bottle chili powder

Brauma
05-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Great thread. I'll be doing a brisket this wknd.

Somehow I missed this the first time around.

allboy
08-25-2007, 01:40 AM
This is a proven good one:

Belly's Texas-Style Dry Rub
Recipe By: Billy Maynard

1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper -- ground (heat to your liking)
1 tablespoon garlic power
1 tablespoon onion power
1 tablespoon sugar -- (white or brown)
1 tablespoon paprika

SmokinCoyote
08-25-2007, 07:43 AM
I have a nice sweet rub for my ribs but looking for a lees or non sweet rub for brisket. We are going to do up a few briskets this weekend and looking for a good rub recipe. I have heard mention of the use of celery salt? Anyone got a good recipe?
I smoked a couple briskets 2 weeks ago and decided to try something different for a change since I have been using the same rub for quite a while. I wanted something simple so I threw this together and it worked out pretty good.

1/2 Cup sea salt
1/2 Cup coarse ground black pepper
1/2 Cup paprika
1/3 Cup granulated garlic
1 TBS chipotle powder (or to taste)

During the cook I sprayed it a few times with Dr. Pepper.

The spices in the bark didn't overpower the flavor of the meat. Had a little heat to it and a faint sweetness from the carmilized sugar in the Dr. Pepper

nthole
08-25-2007, 08:42 AM
I use a slighly modified KCs both at home and competition. Mostly because it's a great rub that he worked a long time on, and partly to permanently remember him everytime I q.

BBQ_MAFIA
08-25-2007, 09:06 AM
I did my last Brisket with Kosher Salt, Butchers Pepper, & Garlic.

It was simple and a great for a change. We are actually having the left overs for lunch today.

Chris Nickelson
08-25-2007, 09:08 AM
a good slat and peppery rub with hints of jalpeno or chili can give brisket a great flavor.

elvis67
08-25-2007, 09:12 AM
I am doing a brisket also. Used pretty much same recipe as Belly's rub. I tthrough the stuff in and taste it at the end when I think I am done with it. Then add what I think it needs accordingly. Going to do some ribs also, I sprinkled them down with Emeril's Essance never done that before thought I would try it.

Ron_L
08-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Grind it up if you don't like the large chunks.

Bigdog
08-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Grind it up if you don't like the large chunks.

But I like it chunky.:wink:
And remember fellas, this is q-talk.:razz: