PDA

View Full Version : Injecting butt after cooking to temp

eap0510
04-16-2019, 07:20 AM
I was bored over the weekend so I began to channel surf and landed on some reruns of BBQ Pitmasters. The episode I was watching was one in which the contestants had to cook pork butts. What was interesting was that one of the contestants injected their butt just prior to turn in time.

Has anyone ever injected their butts after cooking them to temp? Has anyone ever tried injecting the butt after noticing that it was dry in an attempt to get moisture back into it?

sudsandswine
04-16-2019, 07:33 AM
Seems like reserving some of the juices from the meat or dunking it in some sort of au jus would be a more effective way.

eap0510
04-16-2019, 08:01 AM
Seems like reserving some of the juices from the meat or dunking it in some sort of au jus would be a more effective way.

I agree for when I dunk the meat or just simply pour the juice over the chopped the meat is very moist. The person doing the injecting was injecting the MM before they even cut into it or separated it from the butt. I believe that back when this episode was made one was not allowed to separate the MM yet.

cholloway
04-16-2019, 10:30 AM
What did the judges have to say about the sample?

Pedro7
04-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Was watching this weekend too and Dave Bouska from Butcher BBQ was reinjecting his brisket at one point during his cook. Myron said it tasted like injection/phosphates.

Honestly, I've used Butcher's before and thought my brisket also tasted like fake injection. I threw it out after that one use.

eap0510
04-16-2019, 11:06 AM
What did the judges have to say about the sample?

I do not remember exactly but I do not believe that they make any negative comments about it.

SlickRockStones
04-16-2019, 02:59 PM
Seems that injecting meat that’s cooking will drop internal temp. Maybe not, but I’m in the pan juice and rub boat.

dward51
04-16-2019, 04:20 PM
Seems that injecting meat that’s cooking will drop internal temp. Maybe not, but I’m in the pan juice and rub boat.
X2 pan juice/finishing sauce & rub for me also

ronbrad62
04-16-2019, 06:36 PM
I saw that episode as well and I think Myron and Mo both bit into pockets of injection and we're turned off by it. I had thought about doing that but will definitely approach it differently so that won't happen to me.

EyeBurnEverything
04-16-2019, 06:53 PM
What was the turn in? Pulled, chopped, or whole? I could see injecting the pan drippings if it was dry and it had to be tuned in whole. But IMO, if you can't produce a pork butt that isn't dry, you shouldnt be doing comps.

eap0510
04-17-2019, 08:42 AM
What was the turn in? Pulled, chopped, or whole? I could see injecting the pan drippings if it was dry and it had to be tuned in whole. But IMO, if you can't produce a pork butt that isn't dry, you shouldnt be doing comps.

I'm not sure what was turned in. I have been attempting to look for the episode that I was watching but I have not been able to find it. I believe I was watching either season 4, 5, or 6. I remember looking at the guide seeing season 5 information but again I cannot remember what episode I saw that they injected the pork before turn in.

The one person I am surprised has not tried this option to the best of my knowledge is Jason with Tenacious Q. He has cooked a frozen brisket before, one would think he has injected after cooking to temp.

sudsandswine
04-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Having watched most of that series, a lot of it is "YOLO" and dealing with the curveballs the show throws at them more so than it is "best practices under ideal circumstances". May have just been a desperate last ditch attempt to win $10K or whatever.

Pedro7
04-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Having watched most of that series, a lot of it is "YOLO" and dealing with the curveballs the show throws at them more so than it is "best practices under ideal circumstances". May have just been a desperate last ditch attempt to win $10K or whatever.

Honestly tho, are they really curveballs? I love the show and it's actually one of the reasons I started competing a few years back, but I'm pretty sure they know what's coming. There was one I watched this weekend where the surprise meat was Ribeyes and one competitor had a perfect roll of blue cheese compund butter ready to go....That's not something one usually brings to a BBQ comp :laugh::laugh:

sudsandswine
04-17-2019, 09:22 AM
I assume everything on TV is fake by default, but having taken a class with one of the competitors featured on that show, I don't think injecting the meat post cook is probably a "normal" thing for any of them, or anyone else for that matter. Not every curveball was related to a secret ingredient either. Sometimes they had to use cookers that they had no experience with. I'd consider that to be a curveball which could impact the outcome of the meat.