PDA

View Full Version : Dare I say, Better than wings?

JU
04-12-2019, 07:30 PM
I'm from the Buffalo, NY area. I grew up on wings. I haven't ordered anything below HOT since I was eight. The idea of choosing Ranch over Bleu Cheese is something I cannot fathom. All that being said, if it's going to go on the grill... I break tradition and opt for Thighs.
I like to cut them, almost in half, so they not only resemble a wing but also have more surface area to take smoke and sauce.

Anyone else?

Dip'em. Back on. Dip'em again.
ATTACH]170052[/ATTACH]

By the way, Pro tip: soak the celery in ice water for extra crunch. Even if they're a little past prime.

pharp
04-12-2019, 07:40 PM
That is an great idea....gonna try that this weekend. BTW they look awesome!

pjtexas1
04-12-2019, 07:46 PM
I'll probably have to try that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SMetroHawkeye
04-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Married a girl from Tonawanda - made me a Duff’s lover (and their cheeseburgers!) and your approach to ranch vs. bc is the Truth!

I’ve got to try the thigh approach... looks like you’ve got this dialed in. Your sauce looks awesome - care to share what’s in it?

AKMIMNAK
04-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Dude. Those look LEGIT. wow. Share your sauce recipe? Beautiful work.

JU
04-12-2019, 07:55 PM
Married a girl from Tonawanda - made me a Duff’s lover (and their cheeseburgers!) and your approach to ranch vs. bc is the Truth!

I’ve got to try the thigh approach... looks like you’ve got this dialed in. Your sauce looks awesome - care to share what’s in it?
Awesome, hopefully she has turned you on to grilled Sahlens hotdogs and Chiavetta's chicken as well.
Ok, so, again... I love the classic which is butter and Frank's Hot Sauce. But, on the grill, I like to mix Frank's, honey, butter, red wine vinegar, a little something hotter than Frank's and Paprika just to get that Red Color.

Shadowdog500
04-12-2019, 09:25 PM
Looks like a great idea! I only eat hot wings a few times a year, but after seeing this I’m going to get some this week from a local bar that makes wings almost spot on with the Anchor Bar. Chris

JU
04-13-2019, 07:54 AM
Looks like a great idea! I only eat hot wings a few times a year, but after seeing this I’m going to get some this week from a local bar that makes wings almost spot on with the Anchor Bar. Chris

It's funny, I worked right next door to the original Anchor Bar for years but I never went in. I guess there were so many places to get wings that it didn't seem like a big deal.

lastmajordude
04-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Thighs are great and CHEAP compared to wings.....love em......great post

Big George's BBQ
04-13-2019, 08:01 AM
Nice Thighs are my favorite part of the bird

Stingerhook
04-13-2019, 08:05 AM
Looking mighty fine John.

Sooner21
04-13-2019, 08:54 AM
It's funny, I worked right next door to the original Anchor Bar for years but I never went in. I guess there were so many places to get wings that it didn't seem like a big deal.

I'm not a big fan of Anchor Bar's wings. So many better places around this area..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuco59
04-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Better? Dunno

Cheaper? Definitely

Will have to give that a whirl... real soon.

Love the chicken thighs- they are my favorite bit of the bird.

Only time I buy whole chickens is if I'm busting out a big pot of chicken and dumplings.

JU
04-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Thighs are great and CHEAP compared to wings.....love em......great post

Agreed. I know that once everyone catches on, thigh prices will ramp way up. I mean, the wings used to be pretty much free until they got popular.

JU
04-13-2019, 11:50 AM
Better? Dunno

Cheaper? Definitely

Will have to give that a whirl... real soon.

Love the chicken thighs- they are my favorite bit of the bird.

Only time I buy whole chickens is if I'm busting out a big pot of chicken and dumplings.

Be sure to NOT trim any of the skin. If you have some hanging off the thigh, wrap it around the meat. I cook them off the heat for 30 - 45 minutes. Then, move them to direct and flip constantly. Of course you want crispy skin but they burn real fast.
Good Luck

SonnyE
04-13-2019, 12:37 PM
My wife could eat Chicken 8 days a week. Me not so much.
But she made a convert out of me from Breasts, to Thighs and Legs.
Never was one for wings though. Not enough meat to skin ratio, I guess. :loco:

Smoking Piney
04-13-2019, 12:46 PM
I'm in for a big plate of these thighs.

They look great! :thumb:

HogGrog
04-13-2019, 12:53 PM
Great post and cook, thanks for the idea of splitting the thighs to resemble wangs!

I’m originally from upstate NY and miss the wings and beef on weck, Buffalo is an underrated food town!

EyeBurnEverything
04-13-2019, 01:05 PM
All that being said, if it's going to go on the grill... I break tradition and opt for Thighs.

IMO, buffalo wings belong in a deep fryer, and thighs belong on the grill. I don't know where you got the idea its tradition to cook buffalo wings on the grill.

angryelfFan
04-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Oh YEAH!!!!

SonnyE
04-13-2019, 06:51 PM
IMO, buffalo wings belong in a deep fryer, and thighs belong on the grill. I don't know where you got the idea its tradition to cook buffalo wings on the grill.

But wait...
Candice, you are in the Matrix. Everything is 1's and Zero's
So how would you know?

But you're right. Imagine that!
https://youtu.be/j3bf6NW3pb0

Titch
04-13-2019, 06:54 PM
Great looking Thighs, They are used the most in this house

EyeBurnEverything
04-13-2019, 07:40 PM
But wait...
Candice, you are in the Matrix. Everything is 1's and Zero's
So how would you know?

But you're right. Imagine that!
https://youtu.be/j3bf6NW3pb0

I just know these wings, i mean things.

Shadowdog500
04-13-2019, 08:04 PM

It’s funny how that happens. When you live near what others consider a must do, you never seem to go there yourself. I grew up in philly and never went to the historic places, and now I live near the ocean and never go to the beach.

I actually went out of my way to get wings from the anchor bar, and thought they were darn good. I was also glad I went out of my way to eat beef on weck at Schwabl's.

Chris

https://s24667.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Beef-on-Weck-at-Schwabls-in-Buffalo.jpg photo pulled from web.

JU
04-14-2019, 09:18 AM
It’s funny how that happens. When you live near what others consider a must do, you never seem to go there yourself. I grew up in philly and never went to the historic places, and now I live near the ocean and never go to the beach.

I actually went out of my way to get wings from the anchor bar, and thought they were darn good. I was also glad I went out of my way to eat beef on weck at Schwabl's.

Beef on Weck. Buffalo's hidden gem.

JU
04-14-2019, 09:25 AM

Umm?!?
Yeah. That's kinda what I'm saying here.
I am very traditional about wings. Frank's and a touch of butter. Deep fried wings. Bleu cheese and celery.
But.... if they're going on the grill, I prefer thighs.

IamMadMan
04-14-2019, 01:49 PM
I am also a transplanted Buffalo resident. I grew up near the Broadway Market so the Anchor Bar was simply a couple minutes drive, I still love Buffalo Wings to this day.

The thighs are a great idea, especially the cut that makes them resemble the whole wing. Thanks for sharing that idea with us. It is now on my list of things to do.

Whenever I fly into Buffalo, I always stop by Charlie the Butcher near the airport for Beef on Weck. But fortunately I live near a Wegman's which makes Kimmelweck rolls on a regular basis, and I can make my own roast beef sandwiches. I can also buy Chiavetta's, Shalen's, Weber's, Sargento, Heluvagood, and I can also get my CNY favorites too; Sal's Sassy Sauce, Cornell Chicken Marinade, Boss Sauce, Spiedie, and Dinosaur.

While I enjoy getting and using these items, there's something about eating the iconic foods at the landmark location that just makes it taste better, even if it is psychosomatic.

Thanks again for your idea with the thighs....

JU
04-14-2019, 02:16 PM
I am also a transplanted Buffalo resident. I grew up near the Broadway Market so the Anchor Bar was simply a couple minutes drive, I still love Buffalo Wings to this day.

The thighs are a great idea, especially the cut that makes them resemble the whole wing. Thanks for sharing that idea with us. It is now on my list of things to do.

Whenever I fly into Buffalo, I always stop by Charlie the Butcher near the airport for Beef on Weck. But fortunately I live near a Wegman's which makes Kimmelweck rolls on a regular basis, and I can make my own roast beef sandwiches. I can also buy Chiavetta's, Shalen's, Weber's, Sargento, Heluvagood, and I can also get my CNY favorites too; Sal's Sassy Sauce, Cornell Chicken Marinade, Boss Sauce, Spiedie, and Dinosaur.

While I enjoy getting and using these items, there's something about eating the iconic foods at the landmark location that just makes it taste better, even if it is psychosomatic.

So much great food in that area. We don't have Wegmans down in FL but Publix started selling Sahlen's hotdogs.
My go to food when I visit is usually a Chicken Finger Sub - shakin' in hotsauce with lettuce, tomato, onion and bleu cheese dressing. :icon_smile_tongue:

Shadowdog500
04-14-2019, 04:41 PM

So much great food in that area. We don't have Wegmans down in FL but Publix started selling Sahlen's hotdogs.
My go to food when I visit is usually a Chicken Finger Sub - shakin' in hotsauce with lettuce, tomato, onion and bleu cheese dressing. :icon_smile_tongue:

Next time you guys get up there try Dick and Jenny’s on Grand Island. The food is fantastic! It’s the same dick and Jenny who had The Dick and Jenny’s in New Orleans. They moved up to the to stay with family temporarily after Hurricane Katrina and decided to stay and open a Resturant.

http://www.dickandjennysny.com/

WilliamKY
04-14-2019, 04:56 PM
Agreed. I know that once everyone catches on, thigh prices will ramp way up. I mean, the wings used to be pretty much free until they got popular.
They already have around here. I love the boneless thighs and the price has nearly doubled over the last 5yrs.

Prodrvr
04-14-2019, 08:44 PM
Grew up on hot wings and yet have training wheels on the plate lol. The rest of that plate does look good!

SmokinAussie
04-14-2019, 09:09 PM
Back to the OP.

That sauce looks like it's gonna hurt! :cool:

Would like some more info on the ingredients. You don't have to give the whole game away... just a rough idea!

Cheers!

JU
04-15-2019, 08:57 AM
Grew up on hot wings and yet have training wheels on the plate lol. The rest of that plate does look good!

Huh?

JU
04-15-2019, 09:08 AM
Back to the OP.

That sauce looks like it's gonna hurt! :cool:

Would like some more info on the ingredients. You don't have to give the whole game away... just a rough idea!

Cheers!

All I can give you is a rough idea since I just did it on the fly.
Roughly:
1.5 cups Frank's red hot
2 T butter
2 T avocado honey (regular will work)
.5 cup red wine vinegar
1 T habanero sauce
1 t Paprika
Heat and stir

Nuco59
04-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Did a batch yesterday- could not help myself. I've had boneless thighs off the grill many times- but the trim to wing size for dunking is a winner.

I did half using a commercial hot wing sauce - and the other half using a commercial parm/garlic concoction. The hot wing sauced ones were pretty dang good. But I kept going back to the Parmesan /garlic dunked ones.

JU
04-15-2019, 05:25 PM
Did a batch yesterday- could not help myself. I've had boneless thighs off the grill many times- but the trim to wing size for dunking is a winner.

I did half using a commercial hot wing sauce - and the other half using a commercial parm/garlic concoction. The hot wing sauced ones were pretty dang good. But I kept going back to the Parmesan /garlic dunked ones.
Awesome. Sounds good. I do prefer bone in skin on for this. Its more like a wing but I guess boneless wings are also very popular.
I appreciate the feed back and ideas

SmokinAussie
04-15-2019, 05:27 PM
All I can give you is a rough idea since I just did it on the fly.
Roughly:
1.5 cups Frank's red hot
2 T butter
2 T avocado honey (regular will work)
.5 cup red wine vinegar
1 T habanero sauce
1 t Paprika
Heat and stir

Awesome. That was all I needed.

Cheers!

JU
04-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Awesome. That was all I needed.

Cheers!

Let me know how it turns out and what changes you made.

ronbrad62
04-15-2019, 05:59 PM
After seeing those pictures, who am I to argue. Thighs have always been a favorite of mine and after those amazing results, I have another way to enjoy them. Thanks for sharing.

JU
05-06-2019, 06:00 PM
Doing it again... This time I'm trying some corn starch in the rub. I've heard it makes a nice, almost Deep Fried crunch.

JU
05-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Coming along nicely.

JU
05-06-2019, 06:46 PM
Got to hurry. I'm getting that "how long is this gonna take" look.

JU
05-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Well, that was a success. I'm pretty sure I'm using corn starch a LOT more in my chicken rubs.
The crunch held up even after the sauce.

pharp
05-06-2019, 07:21 PM
Well, that was a success. I'm pretty sure I'm using corn starch a LOT more in my chicken rubs.
The crunch held up even after the sauce.

Those look so good!

Capt
05-06-2019, 07:25 PM
Also going to have to try this! Great Idea

JU
05-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Also going to have to try this! Great Idea

Hey, thanks, but just want to point out - not my idea. I'm just trying to keep up.

KevinJ
05-06-2019, 09:15 PM
Love kettle fried, awesome looking chicken John. I like to dredge them through an all purpose batter mix.

https://i.imgur.com/rEbPOJg.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/rbv0KBj.jpg?1

JU
05-07-2019, 11:45 AM
Kevin, looks good!

Czarbecue
05-08-2019, 09:15 AM
Rice flour has more crunch powder than corn starch. You should give that a try!

Smoking Cajun
05-08-2019, 09:23 AM
Those look great, I will have to try that!

upStomp
05-08-2019, 01:12 PM
I've been doing buffalo thighs for a while now. It never occurred to me to split them. Brilliant!

SonnyE
05-08-2019, 01:45 PM
My wife could eat chicken 8 days a week.
But we only eat Legs and Thighs.
I'd forgotten there are other parts to a chicken.

Growing up, all we could get was whole chickens. My Mom taught me how to part up a whole chicken and I loved getting the job to cut up the chicken for dinner.
Kinda miss those days in this world where you can buy a package of the parts you want, skin on, skin off, bone in, or boneless....

How does a boneless chicken even walk around anyway? :sad:

Charny
05-17-2019, 02:54 PM
Thanks for this suggestion. I've done it a few times now, and we like it a lot. The bone-in thighs are really easy to butterfly - one careful cut with a sharp knife and they're done. They're meaty and easy to cook indirect, very forgiving. Our Costco has thighs nicely cryovac'd in small packs for $0.99/lbs.

Very soon I'm going to use this BBQ chicken to make tacos topped with coleslaw, cilantro and other goodies. I know it's gonna be great.

Michigan BBQ Fan
05-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Looks great. Going to fire up some wings tonight. Happy Smokin'

JU
05-20-2019, 03:23 PM
Rice flour has more crunch powder than corn starch. You should give that a try!

Interesting. I'll give that a shot. Thanks

JU
05-20-2019, 03:26 PM
Thanks for this suggestion. I've done it a few times now, and we like it a lot. The bone-in thighs are really easy to butterfly - one careful cut with a sharp knife and they're done. They're meaty and easy to cook indirect, very forgiving. Our Costco has thighs nicely cryovac'd in small packs for $0.99/lbs.

Very soon I'm going to use this BBQ chicken to make tacos topped with coleslaw, cilantro and other goodies. I know it's gonna be great.

Glad to hear. I totally agree about them being forgiving. Not nearly as finicky as breast .