PDA

View Full Version : When/what was your first time...eating steak?

jermoQ
04-12-2019, 03:31 PM
Happy (Mike) got me thinking about this from a post he made about "what is a steak". I grew up eating hamburger helper :puke: and other easy to assemble homemade food. Steak may have happened occasionally? At the Western Sizzlin one or two times a year, mom would order everybody a medium well :fear: steak. I had a really bad experience when I decided to finally order my own. Beef tips on a kabob, when I had a lose, sore tooth :cry:, not much older than 9 or 10. Didnt care for steak a while after that.
ANYWAY, now I am smarter (sort of :suspicious:) and cook a good steak every now and then at home. Not past medium rareish is my preference.

tom b
04-12-2019, 03:38 PM
last week
https://i.imgur.com/QsUWNXgh.jpg

SlickRockStones
04-12-2019, 03:43 PM
Dad used to take us out to a place called Black Angus steakhouse in St. Pete, Fl. in the mid to late 60s when visiting my older brother at Admiral Farragut school. They had huge black angus steers out front that I would pretend bulldog. At home it was always big top sirloin grilled on a CI hibachi then slathered with Kraft bbq sauce.

tom b
04-12-2019, 04:04 PM
oops I thought you said last time, sorry about that

blazinfire
04-12-2019, 04:20 PM
oops I thought you said last time, sorry about that

Haha Tom B... with a steak like that you might as well just call it your first!! That thing looks delicious!

SonnyE
04-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Gosh, I don't know. But young, maybe 5 or 6 I'd guess.
My Dad was the type to bring home some of the oddest oddities. A Chef where he worked like to send Dad home with some off the wall jars of gourmet things.
I remember candied bees, and chocolate grasshoppers. I think the guy was a masochist. But we'd try the crap.
Now, I'm almost sworn off of beef. I use to be Mr. Steak and taters. I'd fix myself a frozen plastic steak from Costco 3-5 times a week.
Then I had a heart attack due to cholesterol. Have a stint in one coronary artery (RCA), and should have one in my LCA. But have to wait until it reaches 80% blockage. 77% isn't the magic number for my HMO. :mmph:

So the bottom line is: No more Steak and buttery tators for this guy. Now days it's Salmon, Chicken, and Pork. I've been weened.
So I tend to do a lot with those. My wife could eat chicken 8 days a week, but me, not so much. LOL!
I Sous Vide a pork Loin roast yesterday, and I've sliced it, seasoned it, and it is smoking right now.
So Salmon is my Rib Eye, and Pork is my Porkerhouse.
But I promised to try and stick around for my Grandkids. :pray:

WilliamKY
04-12-2019, 04:42 PM
I don't recall the exact moment but I'm sure I thought steak was odd (but good) the first time I had it. Growing up my mom loved liver and onions and so do I. She would always tell me it was steak. I guess to keep me from being one of those kids who hates liver even though they've never tried it.

jdtTX
04-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Seems like it was usually a Friday or Saturday night in the summer at the grandparents thing for us. Always thin, grocery store ribeyes but I couldn't tell you how they were cooked. My grandpa was one of those guys who had to eat it as rare as possible just because...

Didn't eat much steak as a teen or in college. I started doing my own after eating at Bob's here in Dallas in my mid 20s and wanting to replicate it.

blake
04-12-2019, 05:04 PM
I fathom I was around 3. In the summer time, usually on Friday or Saturday night, Dad would grill out steak. Mom made fresh from the garden fried okra or squash and zucchini, with corn from the garden too. How could I forget the fresh tomatoes on the side and then later in the evening the homemade ice cream. That lasted until I was around 9 or 10 and we quit getting 1.5-3 cows per year from my grandfather's farm.

Shadowdog500
04-12-2019, 05:16 PM
My first steak was when I was a young kid. I hated steak growing up because my mom always cooked a porterhouse steak in a black iron frying pan to leathery bone dry “well done” with worcestershire sauce poured all over it for flavor. She likes it that way, but I hated it. I finally had a good “rare” steak at someone else’s house when I was a teen and really liked it. Chris

SonnyE
04-12-2019, 05:52 PM
I do remember the first time one of the Grandson's tasted steak....
He said, "UMMM! That is some good chicken!"
:grin:

Prodrvr
04-12-2019, 05:56 PM
I started eating steak right out of the womb!!

jermoQ
04-12-2019, 09:35 PM

I dont believe that.

You live in Florida not Texas...:laugh:

Shadowdog500
04-12-2019, 09:59 PM

Baby food don’t count . :mrgreen:

https://www.gerber.com/sites/default/files/132.png

Gimmethecash
04-12-2019, 10:01 PM
I started pretty young - my dad’s always been good at grilling steaks, and it was a fairly rare treat that I would really look forward to when I found out we were having them.

mike243
04-12-2019, 10:13 PM
First time I remember I was about 10,fancy steak house and I went to shake up the steak sauce for some reason,lid wasn't screwed on and about the 2nd up stroke stuff went flying,me and 1-2 others got a sample where we shouldn't have ,was awhile afore we went out to eat in a place like that again lol

BillN
04-12-2019, 10:58 PM
Been eating steak since before I can remember. We didn't have a lot growing up but we always had a full belly. Mom would buy chuck steaks on sale and pierce the steaks with a fork, put meat tenderizer on them for several hours then dad would grill them over KBB to medium/medium rare and were they ever good. We would have steak like this several times a month.

Titch
04-12-2019, 11:03 PM
Could not tell you, I would definitely have been a Teenager, maybe older,
I bet it was cheap and overcooked.

smoke ninja
04-12-2019, 11:29 PM
I remember eating steak with my dad ever since I was a young boy. lots of fond memories from those weekend cookouts and it's how I got into grilling which eventually lead to bbq. still cook some steaks using dads 7 minute method, a coffee can of lit charcoal in the kettle.....3.5 minutes a side with the lid off.

I think that's why steak is my favorite meal to this day

tom b
04-12-2019, 11:38 PM
seriously, when I was young a steak was just the hokey puck vehicle for the A1

16Adams
04-13-2019, 04:22 AM
We seldom had steak. 4 kids-2 parents 1 income. On the rare occasion it was Tbone cooked well done plus. Usually 3 steaks split among 6. We ate lots of hamburger. Lots. Hamburgers cooked all kinds of ways. Grandad would send a a cow to be butchered and would get two roasts 4 steaks and 444 pounds of hamburger.

We lived in a town for a while with a family run butcher shop. Weekends we’d go and get a quart each of ham and chicken salad. They also had @pinwheels”?? Rolled up bacon wrapped tenderized steak on a stick. Like a meat Dairy Queen Dilly Bar. Again extra well done. Steak sauce if used would be a mix of ketchup and either A1 H57 Worcestershire as we usually had all available

I honestly don’t remember the meats so much as the crunch. Flashback to Gold foil. Mom would buy these giant potatoes and cook in gold foil- with a baking nail. Load em up with “oleo” sour cream cheese and bacon bits. Parents ate somewhere where the potatoes were wrapped in gold foil. Guess it made them better.

ModelMaker
04-13-2019, 07:47 AM
Most of our eat outs were to a small Chinese eatery and always Chow Harlock but in my early teen we started going to a small mom & pop place that had a $5 ribeye, baked tato, and salad served on tan colored Melmac dishware. The place still holds a place in my heart, I search for similar dives at 65.
Ed

WeberWho
04-13-2019, 08:19 AM
Dad never cooked but when he did it would be skirt/flank steak with a side of A1/Heinz 57. One of my favorite cuts still to this day. I don't think I've seen him buy anything other than flank steak. The last two times he's been over to the house we've had tri-tip when eating steak. He raves about it. He just knows better not to ask for any steak sauce at my house! ;) He still asks for it to get me going though. (Jokingly)

Big George's BBQ
04-13-2019, 08:35 AM
Sat was steak night at my parents house My father would cook it on his Weber or in the fireplace Usually a sirloin or a T Bone

thirdeye
04-13-2019, 11:21 AM
https://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/People/e3e23ddf.jpg

My family had a cattle ranch, so I would say I gnawed on beefsteak at a pretty young age.... BUT, the first time I had a restaurant steak would have been 1963 or 1964 at lunch with my Grandmother and she ordered T-bone's for all of us. Until then when going out with a group of parents to supper clubs, all the kids ate at home. We were seated at a separate table, drank Shirley Temples and Roy Rodgers... and if we behaved we could get something from the dessert cart.

Mikhail
04-13-2019, 11:44 AM
We would have steak for birthdays at home, but it was usually round. Tough as nails.

Wazzufan88
04-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Growing up in the 70's, my Dad was not a master of the grill. So on the rare occasion that we had steak it would be a well done cheap steak. About 1-2 times a year we would go to a Stuart Anderson's Black Angus and could have something better that was not the consistency of a meteorite. As a kid I am not sure what was better, their garlic/parmesan bread or the meat.

SonnyE
04-13-2019, 12:27 PM
About 1-2 times a year we would go to a Stuart Anderson's Black Angus and could have something better that was not the consistency of a meteorite.

LMAO!
My Mom could burn water.
We grew up with "Required Eating".
What kid doesn't love liver? When my Mom cooked Liver, it could be used for a shoe sole. But, by God, you ate it, or sat there until you did!
I still like Medium to Medium Well done for my Steak. A little pink is fine. But steak that looks like it is that time of the month, NO!

Nuco59
04-13-2019, 12:32 PM
steak? /shrug

I remember the first kiss,my first job, the first time I got to drive "solo", the first "bowchickabowwow" moment.

but "steak"? not so much.

if this was one of your "memorable" moments... /hug

jdtTX
04-13-2019, 12:43 PM
steak? /shrug

I remember the first kiss,my first job, the first time I got to drive "solo", the first "bowchickabowwow" moment.

but "steak"? not so much.

if this was one of your "memorable" moments... /hug

this is a site about cooking and full of people who love food. id sure as hell prefer to remember the stuff i actually care about as opposed to details from some ****ty job.

Nuco59
04-13-2019, 12:56 PM
if your first job was ***ty, /hug, brother :-D

it's not what you "prefer" to remember- those things are not programmed.

first steak? just not "memorable"- all I'm sayin'

hope your day gets better.

Smoking Piney
04-13-2019, 01:02 PM
My first steak was as a wee lad of 5 or 6......best guess.

I do remember my 7th birthday, though. My dad grilled steaks and I got an entire T bone. He showed me how to cut it and let me cut my own pieces. I was walking tall for a while after that. :-D

jdtTX
04-13-2019, 01:07 PM
if your first job was ***ty, /hug, brother :-D

it's not what you "prefer" to remember- those things are not programmed.

first steak? just not "memorable"- all I'm sayin'

hope your day gets better.

my day's fine. if you're not interested in discussing the actual thread topic, keep scrolling.

Prodrvr
04-13-2019, 07:36 PM
baby food don’t count . :mrgreen:

https://www.gerber.com/sites/default/files/132.png

eeeewwwww!!!!

Prodrvr
04-13-2019, 07:39 PM
I dont believe that.

You live in Florida not Texas...:laugh:

Born and lived in NYC and Long Island for 40 years, living in FL for 11.

Smoke Dawg
04-13-2019, 07:45 PM
Mom made sure we were fed and made us eat everything on our plate.

I moved out when I graduated from HS and got married three months later.

MSD is an awesome cook and she cooked me my first REAL Steak.

RDOwens
04-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Haven't a clue, but I grew up eating steak . . . rare because that is how Mom likes it. :)

Mom would prepare filet mignon with bacon around the filet. Loved it! I was about 10 when our family went out to a steakhouse. I ordered the filet mignon. When it was served, I mumbled to my father that there was no mignon on it. He laughed. Waiter asked if anything was wrong and my father explained how I thought mignon was bacon that I was used to having around the steak. Dad used to love telling that story!

Shadowdog500
04-13-2019, 10:35 PM
Haven't a clue, but I grew up eating steak . . . rare because that is how Mom likes it. :)

Mom would prepare filet mignon with bacon around the filet. Loved it! I was about 10 when our family went out to a steakhouse. I ordered the filet mignon. When it was served, I mumbled to my father that there was no mignon on it. He laughed. Waiter asked if anything was wrong and my father explained how I thought mignon was bacon that I was used to having around the steak. Dad used to love telling that story!

That is a funny story! I could see a kid saying that! Thanks for sharing. Chris