PDA

View Full Version : Pastrami Sous-Vide-Cue

KClandcruiser
04-10-2019, 10:21 AM
I made pastrami for the first time this weekend. I used the sous-vid-cue recipe from amazing ribs. 30 hours in the sous-vide at 155 then into an ice bath and the fridge to completely cool and then onto the smoker with the pastrami rub for a couple hours until it got up to 135. I was really happy with how it turned out and the meat was incredibly tender. I think I might focus on getting the whole spices a little more crushed next time. Overall, very happy with the results. Nothing quite like a pastrami on rye with some spicy brown mustard and a pickle on the side
https://i.imgur.com/32kdCXmh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aQN9WMHh.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/gauRSQvh.jpg

Big George's BBQ
04-10-2019, 11:00 AM
YUM Very Nice Love Pastrami :hungry::hungry::hungry:

m-fine
04-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Sous Vide pastrami is heavenly!

Bigjohnb20
04-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Looks great. I tried to do a brisket flat in a similar manner. Sous vide at 155 for 24hrs, ice bath/fridge chill then rubbed and smoked for a few hours. Was able to develop a nice bark but IT had somehow climbed up to around 190 so the end product was pretty tender but much drier than I was hoping (thats what I was trying to avoid in the first place). Anyway, its good to know the process CAN work, I just need to fine tune the finishing smoke.

mcyork28
04-10-2019, 11:32 AM
Has anybody tried this the other way around? Smoke till you get a nice bark and then into the sous vide.

Woody Butthrie
04-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Looking good with the pastrami. Makes me want a pastrami Rueben now. I tried store bought corn beef twice with the sous vide. First time did 36 hours at 150, cooled in fridge overnight, then smoke. It ended up very nice, but a little crumbly for me. Did 24 hours at 150 for the next and it was better for me. I have a London broil that I brined for a week and did 24 hours at 150. It will be smoked today.

Woody Butthrie
04-10-2019, 11:38 AM
Has anybody tried this the other way around? Smoke till you get a nice bark and then into the sous vide.
I have thought about this, but was worried the sous vide after would make the crust/bark too soft.

Woody Butthrie
04-10-2019, 11:39 AM
Looks great. I tried to do a brisket flat in a similar manner. Sous vide at 155 for 24hrs, ice bath/fridge chill then rubbed and smoked for a few hours. Was able to develop a nice bark but IT had somehow climbed up to around 190 so the end product was pretty tender but much drier than I was hoping (thats what I was trying to avoid in the first place). Anyway, its good to know the process CAN work, I just need to fine tune the finishing smoke.

I think that meat that is already cooked with the sous vide can climb IT temperature quicker because of the precook.

thirdeye
04-10-2019, 11:43 AM

I'm thinking along the same lines... flavor first, then cook tender. But what do I know about French cooking techniques... heck, the closest thing I have is a Julia Child cookbook :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/f806000f.jpg

sudsandswine
04-10-2019, 11:46 AM
At least, when it comes to pastrami, it's usually steam finished anyway so I don't think you're really gonna get crispy brisket bark on it.

Woody Butthrie
04-10-2019, 11:47 AM
I'm thinking along the same lines... flavor first, then cook tender. But what do I know about French cooking techniques... heck, the closest thing I have is a Julia Child cookbook :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/f806000f.jpg

Remember to save the liver!

KClandcruiser
04-10-2019, 11:48 AM

Mine came out very tender, but was still moist. I think you ended up cooking yours twice basically. I would have liked to get a little better bark on mine. I think I'll do a slightly lower temp in the smoker so I can let it go a little longer. I ended up spritzing it with some water after I put it on the smoker. I used a corned beef point that I got on sale after Paddy's, so I'm sure the extra fat content helped with moisture too

KClandcruiser
04-10-2019, 11:51 AM
I have thought about this, but was worried the sous vide after would make the crust/bark too soft.

My biggest concern would be with the juices in the bag washing the rub off. I think if you smoke first, then the traditional steaming may yield a better result than sous-vide. I'd say it's definitely worth a try though

Dovid
04-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Using a pressure cooker to steam the pastrami is a good method!

thirdeye
04-10-2019, 11:57 AM
My biggest concern would be with the juices in the bag washing the rub off. I think if you smoke first, then the traditional steaming may yield a better result than sous-vide. I'd say it's definitely worth a try though

I do a pressure finish on mine and after 40 minutes the bark is wet, but hangs on during the finish, and it sets up just fine. I do use a rack to keep some of it out of the broth, but I get over a quart of broth, great for dunking, stock for a Reuben soup or for reheating later.

https://i.imgur.com/ltcXBRm.jpg

Big George's BBQ
04-10-2019, 12:12 PM
Never thought of saving the juice for dunking etc Will have to remember that

SonnyE
04-10-2019, 12:18 PM
Love Pastrami!
Never made my own,
But I love Pastrami.

Something to add to my Bucket List....

thirdeye
04-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Never thought of saving the juice for dunking etc Will have to remember that

Often delis will either give you a little cup of beef broth (for your brisket sandwich) or pastrami broth.... and I think there is an ordering term of "wet" if you want them to dunk your sliced meat before building the sandwich. I was at a deli in St. Louis that served meats on crunchy hard rolls, and they would toast the roll on the flat top, then dunk it in broth.

pmad
04-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Remember to save the liver!

I just love that.

https://youtu.be/eSxv6IGBgFQ

jermoQ
04-10-2019, 01:21 PM
Glad you had good food! I like making pastrami! I havent thought to do that the way you did but I haven't done sous vide. I would want plenty of smoke in it, so I would have to smoke then bath.

EdF
04-10-2019, 02:25 PM

I've smoked before, but not to the bark point. Then SV, then a final smoke. Not big bark, but good enough.

KClandcruiser
04-10-2019, 02:46 PM
I've smoked before, but not to the bark point. Then SV, then a final smoke. Not big bark, but good enough.

That may just be the ticket. I think I might try that next time to try and get a little better bark. Did you notice much loss of the bark through the SV stage, and did you apply more rub after SV?

Woody Butthrie
04-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Ok. I think I meant spice rub/crust more than bark, like KC pointed out. Still want a nice color, but not as dark, I guess as long as you finish with smoke and spice, then you will have a outer crust. I rubbed the corned beef with rub before sous vide, and again after before smoke.

thirdeye
04-10-2019, 03:29 PM
That may just be the ticket. I think I might try that next time to try and get a little better bark. Did you notice much loss of the bark through the SV stage, and did you apply more rub after SV?

Ok. I think I meant spice rub/crust more than bark, like KC pointed out. Still want a nice color, but not as dark, I guess as long as you finish with smoke and spice, then you will have a outer crust. I rubbed the corned beef with rub before sous vide, and again after before smoke.

Are the meats in vacuum bags during the sous vide step? If so... couldn't you pull a slight vacuum on the bags which might help hold the seasonings in place?

My pastrami comes off the smoker after maybe 3 hours and the crust/bark is basically set (prior to smoking the rubbed corned briskets are seasoned and sit in the fridge for 12 to 15 hours) and I think that is why they can handle the pressure finish. Here is a photo of them right off the smoker ready for my pressure canner.

https://i.imgur.com/dODNTs2.jpg

cpw
04-10-2019, 04:38 PM
Are the meats in vacuum bags during the sous vide step? If so... couldn't you pull a slight vacuum on the bags which might help hold the seasonings in place?

My pastrami comes off the smoker after maybe 3 hours and the crust/bark is basically set (prior to smoking the rubbed corned briskets are seasoned and sit in the fridge for 12 to 15 hours) and I think that is why they can handle the pressure finish. Here is a photo of them right off the smoker ready for my pressure canner.

So can you explain your process? I just got an Instant pot and would like to try smoke then steam as to avoid a 24 hour sous vide session.

KClandcruiser
04-10-2019, 04:58 PM

https://i.imgur.com/dODNTs2.jpg

Yes, would definitely pull a vacuum on them which might be enough to cement the rub on the meat. My main concern was with the liquid released from the meat during the cooking process washing away or diminishing the rub. I think with your method the liquid drains off and doesn't stay trapped in the bag with the meat.

Also, that is some beautiful pastrami!

Woody Butthrie
04-10-2019, 05:12 PM

Yes. I put the meat in vacuum bags and ended up with some nice aujous to save. Those two pieces look very nice. What temp did you stop smoking?
Most recipes I've seen talk about 203-204F, but it sounds like you are stopping short and then pressure cooking until done inside. I have 2 Fagor pressure cookers.

EdF
04-11-2019, 01:22 PM

Applied more rub for the finish. Also rubbed for the first smoke. Didn't add any for the SV part, because absorption varies depending on the kind of spice.

BuffaloDave
04-11-2019, 04:06 PM

I've done a ton of pastrami this way. I pastramied 5 packer briskets for an event last year

Here's my method

1. cure

2. desalinate min 8 hrs.

3. rub and let sit for at least 24 hrs.

4. smoke @225 to i.t. of 150 degrees

5. sous vide 150 for 48 hours.

After that I like to hit it with my searzall to crust the bark back up, though you could easily throw it under a broiler/on a grill etc.

BuffaloDave
04-11-2019, 04:07 PM
I actually just checked on a pastrami point that I smoked to 150 then threw in a curing chamber. Pastrami charcuterie anyone?

m-fine
04-11-2019, 07:39 PM
I haven’t done it with home made pastrami yet, but guests visiting from the city have brought some who pastrami’s from Katz’s and I finished them SV. There was no issue with the bark, it held up fine. It wasn’t crispy like a good Texas brisket, but it isn’t supposed to be.

thirdeye
04-12-2019, 08:32 AM
So can you explain your process? I just got an Instant pot and would like to try smoke then steam as to avoid a 24 hour sous vide session.

Here is a direct LINK (http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html) to the pastrami article on my cookin' site.

Yes. I put the meat in vacuum bags and ended up with some nice aujous to save. Those two pieces look very nice. What temp did you stop smoking?
Most recipes I've seen talk about 203-204F, but it sounds like you are stopping short and then pressure cooking until done inside. I have 2 Fagor pressure cookers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%207/DSC04444g.jpg

I pull them from the smoker around 155 and move to the pressure cooker. When I'm doing several I use my pressure canner, which is larger and has a gauge instead of a preset release valve. I use 13 psi. You need to look in the owners manual of your pressure cookers to see what psi they are set at. Some stovetop models operate at 10 psi, so you would have to process longer than my times of 40 to 45 minutes. But... after the pressure falls you can always open the cooker and check the tenderness, and if it's not where you want it put the lid back on and get it back up to pressure and go another 5 or 7 minutes.

KClandcruiser
04-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Thirdeye, I think you have thoroughly convinced me to try rubbing and smoking first before finishing SV or pressure cooker. If mine comes out anything like yours do I will be very happy!

thirdeye
04-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Keep us posted...