PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy for $1,000?

controls77
04-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Hi all,

I recently sold my Viking on ebay and now im looking to replace it with a propane/charcoal combination grill. I wouldn't mind a smoker attached as well but it will not make or brake my choice. So my question is, what would you purchase with that type of budget? I was looking at the oklahoma joes longhorn combo, seems reasonable for what I'm looking to do. Just bbq on the backdeck for some family gatherings, nothing crazy, no competing. What are your thoughts? Also looked at the smoke hollow and char griller. I also don't mind buying used if I can get one from a member on here.

Thanks guys for the advice and looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

-Stone Hughes

SmittyJonz
04-08-2019, 03:01 PM
I would buy two separate- I’d buy a propane grill and a smoker. Or a propane grill and a charcoal grill that you can also smoke on like a Weber kettle 26 “. Or a propane grill and a drum smoker.

controls77
04-08-2019, 03:06 PM
I would buy two separate- Id buy a propane grill and a smoker. Or a propane grill and a charcoal grill that you can also smoke on like a Weber kettle 26 . Or a propane grill and a drum smoker.

Ok, interesting. Why would you prefer them to be separate?

rus_bro
04-08-2019, 03:12 PM

I havent done much research into it.. but from what iv seen in the past, the charcoal/propane combo grills are built like propane grills that dont have much heat retention which is better to have for a charcoal grill. ALSO, if you get a combo you lose ALOT of realestate on both grills, essentially ending with 2 half grills.

With that $1K budget, you can get a pretty decent gas grill and a kettle.

Thats where i would also lean.

rb

controls77
04-08-2019, 03:29 PM
I havent done much research into it.. but from what iv seen in the past, the charcoal/propane combo grills are built like propane grills that dont have much heat retention which is better to have for a charcoal grill. ALSO, if you get a combo you lose ALOT of realestate on both grills, essentially ending with 2 half grills.

With that $1K budget, you can get a pretty decent gas grill and a kettle.

Thats where i would also lean.

rb

Ok, maybe I should just go that route. It doesn't seem like to many folks on here with knowledge and experience prefer the combination setup. For gas grill, do you suggest a weber?

Stlsportster
04-08-2019, 03:42 PM
Ever own one of those combination screwdriver/vacuum cleaners? Me either.

They make different tools for different jobs. I buy cheap propane gassers. $200 will get you a 4 burner at Home Depot/Walmart/Lowe’s that will last for 4-5 years.

Then spend about $300 on a 26 inch Weber kettle which you can use to smoke or grill.

Then spend the other $500 on meat.

SonnyE
04-08-2019, 03:55 PM
I often find myself browsing the BBQ section of my local Lowe's Store, and the OK Joe Longhorn has brought me back several times to drool.
It is probably my next BBQ, because the dual function appeals to my style of BBQing.
Currently I'm a Gasser with a natural gas tap for my BBQ. And have two MES units, a 30, and a 40 I've resurrected and use for cold smoking Bacon, Salmon, Nuts, and anything else I can imagine smoked.
As an official Old Fart :rolleyes:, I tend to look for dual or more use out of the things I buy. Some of our extended Family prefers Charcoal/Wood Que.
When replacing my current Char-Broil Gas BBQ I think I'd like to do a dual type like the OK Joe Longhorn. (But set-up for Natural Gas)
All in one could be fun.
But when one, or the tother burns out, you may find yourself reconsidering. :icon_blush:

SmittyJonz
04-08-2019, 03:56 PM

Cuz the combos All Suck. Too Small, Crappy Built. And Heat on one side affect the other side somewhat. Ok Joe Longhorn Smokers is Decent, Bronco Drum Smoker, Bandera, But I don’t like the combos. The cook chamber on the smoker side is Too Small and the propane grill side is Cheapo. Everybody I know that had One - Hated it and replaced it with a separate grill and smoker but I’m Sure Some people Must like them or they’d quit selling them......

SmittyJonz
04-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Weber or Napoleon or Broil King Baron Gas Grills.

You could get a Weber Genesis 3 burner plus Oklahoma Joe Bronco drum smoker for $1000 -1100......... some areas you can find a Weber gas grill only 1-3 years old on craigslist for a good deal. Weber has good customer support and parts available but one that’s 1 to 3 years old would not need anything.

Prodrvr
04-08-2019, 04:10 PM
OKJ smokers = stepping stone. I bought one to learn on. If I would have done more homework, I would have bought an Old Country smoker which is much better than the OKJ and would still be within my budget for a first smoker.

SmittyJonz
04-08-2019, 04:13 PM
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Broil-King-Baron-S440-Stainless-Steel-4-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill-with-1-Side-Burner/50381182

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Bronco-Drum-43-3-in-H-x-30-3-in-W-284-sq-in-Black-Charcoal-Vertical-Smoker/1000713122

Or Order a Drum smoker kit from Big Poppas or UDSParts.com And build an Uy Drum Smoker And buy a Gas Grill........

BigThicket
04-08-2019, 04:20 PM
There's no such thing as a good "two-in-one", IMO. I agree with the poster above. You'd be better off with two modestly priced units for two types of cooking.

Bacchus2b
04-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Hunsaker Vortex Drum Smoker $799 Shipped...https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/

upStomp
04-08-2019, 04:25 PM
Humphrey's Weekender. I really want a dedicated rib cooker. I have zero use for a 2-in-1.

controls77
04-08-2019, 04:42 PM
I often find myself browsing the BBQ section of my local Lowe's Store, and the OK Joe Longhorn has brought me back several times to drool.
It is probably my next BBQ, because the dual function appeals to my style of BBQing.
Currently I'm a Gasser with a natural gas tap for my BBQ. And have two MES units, a 30, and a 40 I've resurrected and use for cold smoking Bacon, Salmon, Nuts, and anything else I can imagine smoked.
As an official Old Fart :rolleyes:, I tend to look for dual or more use out of the things I buy. Some of our extended Family prefers Charcoal/Wood Que.
When replacing my current Char-Broil Gas BBQ I think I'd like to do a dual type like the OK Joe Longhorn. (But set-up for Natural Gas)
All in one could be fun.
But when one, or the tother burns out, you may find yourself reconsidering. :icon_blush:

Great, thanks for sharing! Appreciate the input.

controls77
04-08-2019, 04:44 PM
Cuz the combos All Suck. Too Small, Crappy Built. And Heat on one side affect the other side somewhat. Ok Joe Longhorn Smokers is Decent, Bronco Drum Smoker, Bandera, But I dont like the combos. The cook chamber on the smoker side is Too Small and the propane grill side is Cheapo. Everybody I know that had One - Hated it and replaced it with a separate grill and smoker but Im Sure Some people Must like them or theyd quit selling them......

That's why I came on here, to get that information your speaking of. Thanks for sharing. I'll go with 2 separate units.

controls77
04-08-2019, 04:46 PM
Weber or Napoleon or Broil King Baron Gas Grills.

You could get a Weber Genesis 3 burner plus Oklahoma Joe Bronco drum smoker for $1000 -1100......... some areas you can find a Weber gas grill only 1-3 years old on craigslist for a good deal. Weber has good customer support and parts available but one thats 1 to 3 years old would not need anything.

Looking on craigslist for webers right now. You can find pretty good deals. Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Glad I listened because I was pretty set on the OKJ.

KevinJ
04-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Weber 26" Kettle with a Slow N' Sear which is great for reverse sears or smoking, not necessarily needed but it is a great tool that helps get the job done a Vortex is great too for cooking wings and other chicken parts. Broil King Gasser, always had Weber Gassers but when you look at them side by side the Broil King is the better built grill.

SmittyJonz
04-08-2019, 04:53 PM
But to Answer your title question - if I had $1000 Id buy a S&W M&P M2.0 9C 3.6. Plus ammo.......... :biggrin1:

Pedro7
04-08-2019, 05:05 PM
I'm also in agreement with getting two, or even three :). If you are on Facebook look in the marketplace. Fairly new Weber Spirit gassers can be had for $2-300 regularly (Or just go get an HD el cheapo special and run it for 4-5 years). Deals on Genesis' can be in the $300 range as well. Then pick a smoker. The Humphrey's Weekender or Backwoods Chubby 3400's are good if you want to spend that much. However, a $300 Pit Barrel Cooker is also great. I'd also throw in a Weber kettle which you can also find cheap. I got a 22" Kettle for free and an "almost Performer" for $150 in like new condition over the last couple months.

Long story short, go check facebook marketplace and you can get a lot of grill for your $1000 budget and have multiple tools for the job.

My ideal if bought new:
Weber Spirit gasser - $500
Pit Barrel - $300
Weber Kettle $150
Beer $50

All of this can be found used for probably $500.

LordRiffenstein
04-09-2019, 07:41 AM
And another vote to build an arsenal of cookers:

Blackstone griddle
Weber kettle
Weber Smokey Mountain

pasquale388
04-09-2019, 07:54 AM
for the price id you want a cabinet smoker i would recommend a humphreys weekender. they are great.
if you want a drum smoker i would go hunsaker vortex smoker.
if wanting a kettle i would do a weber charcoal grill.
all these are under a 1000 dollars. it is all on how you want to cook. i recommend only cooking on charcoal because you get the best favor on the market

LordRiffenstein
04-09-2019, 08:20 AM
i recommend only cooking on charcoal because you get the best favor on the market

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/51678032.jpg