PDA

View Full Version : You guys dun did it!!!!

BKING!
04-07-2019, 01:08 PM
I’m not going to mention any names *looks at rwalters* but some of you have been trying hard to get me to buy a griddle. Well, unfortunately or fortunately (I’m not sure yet) I’m beginning to think I need one and will most likely buy soon. Im looking at camp chef or black stone. I want a super large cooking surface and so far the camp chef 900 is winning me over the most. Are there any others worth looking at for under a $1000???

It seems my kettle with a griddle top ain’t cutting it anymore due to lack of temp control.

Joshw
04-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Dude you can cook a lot of food on a 36" griddle. I'm sure you could get something awesome for $1000, but I think that is where the rule of diminishing returns comes in. I paid $200 for my Blackstone, and it is a very good cooker. To give you an idea of space, these are 1/4 lb sausage patties.

BKING!
04-07-2019, 01:48 PM
Dude you can cook a lot of food on a 36" griddle. I'm sure you could get something awesome for $1000, but I think that is where the rule of diminishing returns comes in. I paid $200 for my Blackstone, and it is a very good cooker. To give you an idea of space, these are 1/4 lb sausage patties.

I know I could but I feel like I’d regret not going bigger. It’s only my wife and I but I do cook for HUGE gatherings throughout the year. I’m talking a 15-20 pound pan of fajita meat and veggies.

Joshw
04-07-2019, 02:03 PM
I know I could but I feel like I’d regret not going bigger. It’s only my wife and I but I do cook for HUGE gatherings throughout the year. I’m talking a 15-20 pound pan of fajita meat and veggies.

I hear you. Just giving you an idea, of what a 36" could do. I cranked out 30 lbs of patties (120) in less than an hour. Literally by the time I put the last patty down, I was flipping the first. Good luck on your shopping.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=162359&stc=1&d=1533493919

BKING!
04-07-2019, 02:08 PM
I’ll do some more research in that case. Cooking 30 pounds of food in less than hour sounds reasonable.

rwalters
04-07-2019, 03:11 PM
Wish I could say that I am sorry for pushing you toward a stand alone griddle... but I’d be lying to do so. Between the 3 cookers I have, my griddle by far and away is my most used cooker...
-For sheer convenance
-For ease of use
-For incredibly tasty results
-For the massive amount of food (whole meals) that can be banged out like child’s play
-For the insane sear/crust/bits-o-char that are put on the food cooked

As much as I loved my Blackstone 36, I LOVE the Camp Chef FTG900. Since buying the Camp Chef a few months ago, I actually find myself “grilling” differently than I used to. It used to be that I’d “always” grill proteins and veggies on my kettle or MAK, then serve the food(s) and watch people cut into bite size pieces and enjoy. Nowadays, I often precut certain things, season it, and proceed to cook on the griddle. This method, unlike traditional grilling puts a crust/sear on every single bite. Most of what comes off the griddle is just so stinkin’ good that it’s been kind of hard to return to the traditional way of grilling for those items that excel on the griddle. Example... buy a simple package of skinless chicken thighs at your grocery store. Cut into small bite size pieces and season heavily with your favorite taco seasoning. Put a good splash of olive oil on your hot griddle and cook up them lil morsels of seasoned chicken. Just toss and turn til done. Sooooooo darn good. The crust and flavor is unbelievable. Some of the best tasting taco, burritos or nacho meat ever! This one example we do probably 3x/mo and every time I just cannot believe how easy and good it is.

I could go on and on... lol.

BKING!
04-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Wish I could say that I am sorry for pushing you toward a stand alone griddle... but I’d be lying to do so. Between the 3 cookers I have, my griddle by far and away is my most used cooker...
-For sheer convenance
-For ease of use
-For incredibly tasty results
-For the massive amount of food (whole meals) that can be banged out like child’s play
-For the insane sear/crust/bits-o-char that are put on the food cooked

As much as I loved my Blackstone 36, I LOVE the Camp Chef FTG900. Since buying the Camp Chef a few months ago, I actually find myself “grilling” differently than I used to. It used to be that I’d “always” grill proteins and veggies on my kettle or MAK, then serve the food(s) and watch people cut into bite size pieces and enjoy. Nowadays, I often precut certain things, season it, and proceed to cook on the griddle. This method, unlike traditional grilling puts a crust/sear on every single bite. Most of what comes off the griddle is just so stinkin’ good that it’s been kind of hard to return to the traditional way of grilling for those items that excel on the griddle. Example... buy a simple package of skinless chicken thighs at your grocery store. Cut into small bite size pieces and season heavily with your favorite taco seasoning. Put a good splash of olive oil on your hot griddle and cook up them lil morsels of seasoned chicken. Just toss and turn til done. Sooooooo darn good. The crust and flavor is unbelievable. Some of the best tasting taco, burritos or nacho meat ever! This one example we do probably 3x/mo and every time I just cannot believe how easy and good it is.

I could go on and on... lol.

That’s up my alley because I’ve always preferred an all over crust on food. After watching some vids it seems the camp chef can get hotter than the black stone but can’t hit a lower temp like the black stone. Is that right?

WilliamKY
04-07-2019, 03:34 PM
I was in Walmart a couple days ago and they had a big stainless Blackstone with what appeared to be a metal cover for the griddle area. I dont recall the price but I'd never seen it before so I think it may be a new model.

gtsum
04-07-2019, 03:35 PM
I have the ftg 600 in route. :). I’ve had camp chef stoves in the rv for many years and they very well

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BKING!
04-07-2019, 03:42 PM
I was in Walmart a couple days ago and they had a big stainless Blackstone with what appeared to be a metal cover for the griddle area. I dont recall the price but I'd never seen it before so I think it may be a new model.

I’ve seen that one. The black stone products I’ve seen in person were pretty impressive. I’ve never seen the camp chef griddles in person but they look impressive as well .

mike243
04-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Blackstone has some super nice new models out with doors and doors and covers, you need a cover to keep down the rust and dust imo I am going to make me 1

BKING!
04-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Blackstone has some super nice new models out with doors and doors and covers, you need a cover to keep down the rust and dust imo I am going to make me 1

Mine would be stored right beside my Mak in the basement. Dust would probably be the only issue for me

BKING!
04-07-2019, 04:22 PM
I just looked at the 36 in black stone at Walmart. It’s a lot bigger than I remembered....

rwalters
04-07-2019, 05:57 PM
That’s up my alley because I’ve always preferred an all over crust on food. After watching some vids it seems the camp chef can get hotter than the black stone but can’t hit a lower temp like the black stone. Is that right?

Yes, the CS tends to run hotter on low than the BS’s. That was a concern of mine at first, but after having cooked on the CS for a couple I have gotten used to it and it’s proven to be a non-issue.

Smokie185
04-07-2019, 06:22 PM
I’ve seen that one. The black stone products I’ve seen in person were pretty impressive. I’ve never seen the camp chef griddles in person but they look impressive as well .

I have a Camp Chef and it seems to be a bit sturdier than the Black stones I have seen. That is why I chose the Camp Chef.

mike243
04-07-2019, 06:30 PM
My Blackstone is meant to fold down for easy transport, it stays in the carport on concrete , haven't noticed it was flimsy in over a year I have owned it but haven't raced it yet lol

dward51
04-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Well if you want big, look at the Camp Chef 900. It's a 6 burner griddle, at about 72,000 btu output. Runs just under $590 normally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqUdo9u7uBE

KB BBQ
04-07-2019, 07:11 PM
Stop it. I've spent enough money lately!

mike243
04-07-2019, 07:43 PM
You all buying new big griddles, don't jack around with a 20lbs tank go ahead and get the 30lbs you can thank me latter :wink:

bschoen
04-08-2019, 06:53 AM
Yes, the CS tends to run hotter on low than the BS’s. That was a concern of mine at first, but after having cooked on the CS for a couple I have gotten used to it and it’s proven to be a non-issue.

How low is low on the Camp Chef? I like to do pancakes at 350-375 F, which is probably as low a temp as I would need.

rwalters
04-08-2019, 07:30 AM
How low is low on the Camp Chef? I like to do pancakes at 350-375 F, which is probably as low a temp as I would need.

Not 100% sure about the smaller Camp Chef flat tops... but the big boy which I have (FTG 900) tends to run 425°ish on low. Kind of freaked me out when I first saw that with my IR gun. That said, in the 2 months I have had it I have had no issue cooking things that used to be cooked at 350-375° on my old Blackstones. Things cook faster for sure, but pancakes for example, come off the griddle every bit as good as they did on my Blackstones.

SweetHeatBBQnSC
04-08-2019, 09:53 AM
I haven't really paid much attention to flat tops outside of seeing more of them in stores.
What are most people using them for, and what is their main appeal to cooks?

rwalters
04-08-2019, 10:14 AM
I haven't really paid much attention to flat tops outside of seeing more of them in stores.
What are most people using them for, and what is their main appeal to cooks?

Here’s some food for thought...

https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/griddles-vs-grills-comparison/

bschoen
04-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Any brick and mortar places that carry camp chef? I have seen up close and personal the Blackstone and Blue Rhino 36 inch four burners, the Outdoor Gourmet (Academy Sports) five burner. Before I put down the bucks, I would like to see the Camp Chef 6 burner (FTG900).

rwalters
04-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Any brick and mortar places that carry camp chef? I have seen up close and personal the Blackstone and Blue Rhino 36 inch four burners, the Outdoor Gourmet (Academy Sports) five burner. Before I put down the bucks, I would like to see the Camp Chef 6 burner (FTG900).

I have a hunch you’re gonna be hard pressed to find a FTG 900 in person. Perhaps a call to Camp Chef and they could help you track down a dealer that may have them in stock. In my opinion, you’ll have an easier time finding the FTG 600, which would give you a good idea of what you’d be getting with the 900.

BKING!
04-08-2019, 04:42 PM
The higher temps on low are mainly just a concern for me with things like pancakes and eggs. Have you done these before rwalters on your camp chef?

Joshw
04-08-2019, 04:45 PM
The higher temps on low are mainly just a concern for me with things like pancakes and eggs. Have you done these before rwalters on your camp chef?

The way I do eggs on my Blackstone, is I leave the last burner off, and that is where the eggs go. There is enough heat transfer to give you a perfect sunny side up egg.

qnbiker
04-08-2019, 04:56 PM
I LOVE threads like this! Somebody else besides me lusting after some new equipment so I can live vicariously through them! Works great...usually. I loved following you guys in the pooper thread to keep me from buying something else, then....:tsk:

BKING!
04-08-2019, 05:03 PM
The way I do eggs on my Blackstone, is I leave the last burner off, and that is where the eggs go. There is enough heat transfer to give you a perfect sunny side up egg.

Good idea!

rwalters
04-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Good idea!

Yep, that method works great. That said, I have had no issue with pancakes with all 6 burners turned to low. Also, scrambled eggs are done in about 2 mins if I have all the burners turned to low... super quick and they turn out great.