PDA

View Full Version : chicken wing cut preference

ironmanerik
03-13-2019, 07:15 AM
How do you prefer your wing? Seems like most people have a preference of eating the drummy or flat. I always cook them separate, if whole wings are all that's available they get cut precook.

jacobp
03-13-2019, 07:45 AM
Separated, every time. Normally I'll buy them whole and do the cutting/trimming myself.

Norm
03-13-2019, 07:50 AM
I like mine separated, seems like they cook a little better that way.

Bklmt2000
03-13-2019, 07:56 AM
Separate wing and drummy. Tips go in the trash unless I'm saving for stock.

smoke ninja
03-13-2019, 08:44 AM
I prefer the flat. so does :becky:

if I separated she would leave me only drummies. there has since been a referendum on parted wings, take one you get both

lunchman
03-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Since I've started doing Buffalo Chicken Wings, drum and flat separate, wing tip tossed.

As an aside, not sure what other parts of the country are experiencing, but lately I am having a heck of a hard time finding chicken wings here in the northeast. And when I do manage to find them, they're priced ridiculously high. Is Buffalo Wild Wings cornering the market on wings these days?

Jrogers84
03-13-2019, 09:53 AM
I cant be the only person who likes just the tip removed.....

toymaster
03-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Never cooked chicken wings before I started competing. Thought it was too much work for not enough meat (and too expensive). I cut the tip off and found I can get 8 in a turn in box. Now I stuff them with sausage jambalaya. It added to the work but made it worthwhile to cook.

BobBrisket
03-13-2019, 10:58 AM
I'm good with any of those styles. But mostly they are separated and the tips are used to make stock. Since I prefer frying to grilling or smoking, I get more consistency doing the flats and drums in like batches.

Bob

Tannhauser42
03-13-2019, 11:27 AM
My lazy butt just throws the whole thing on the grill. Although I really should try removing the tips for making stock.

jermoQ
03-13-2019, 11:47 AM
IF, I am cooking wings (I prefer to eat meat, not bones) I keep them whole to smoke or grill. I like to eat them alright, but dont make them very often.

Whisky
03-13-2019, 12:01 PM
Fried = separate

Smoked/grilled = whole

Never saved a wing tip in my life.

BuffettFan
03-13-2019, 12:11 PM
I've gotten spoiled since my local Kroger started carrying 5lb bags of frozen Tyson flats.
The flats seem to be moister than the drummies typically, and these are larger than average flats.
Not that I turn up my nose at a drummie.

EricD
03-13-2019, 12:17 PM
I voted separate, but that's not entirely true. I used to throw the whole thing on the grill, but lately I've been separating the pieces and cook them. I think I like that better. But, If I'm frying them, they stay whole.
@lunchman... my local Stop and Shop has the big Family Pack of whole wings readily available. I forget the price, but no shortage.

Stlsportster
03-13-2019, 01:14 PM
Costco here carries a wing pack with six cryo sections each with 10 parts (flats and drums only). My go to wing selection.

Although I have the same problem as Ninja. We both like the flats. Which means I end up eating mostly drums.

tom b
03-13-2019, 04:11 PM
^^^^ I get those cosco packs also, I like the drummies best

Norm
03-13-2019, 04:23 PM
I cant be the only person who likes just the tip removed.....

Heck no! I buy them separated or if I can't get them I buy whole ones. They're good that way too!

WilliamKY
03-13-2019, 04:31 PM
Something about twisting the drummy from the flat makes me cook them whole. I'm going to toss the wing tip regardless (after I nibble on that little portion of skin)

icky
03-13-2019, 04:52 PM
I have cooked separate in the past but recently have been cooking whole and like them much better.

scp
03-13-2019, 05:39 PM
Wing tips are tossed in the freezer..until I have a bunch...then made in to broth

Oh yeh..I like the flats the best.

ronbrad62
03-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Drummettes because they take less effort to get the full reward of good chicken.

Music Junkie
03-13-2019, 07:42 PM
Separated, every time. Normally I'll buy them whole and do the cutting/trimming myself.

Ditto.

BobBrisket
03-14-2019, 12:37 AM
Little tip....inject the flats with some hot sauce and butter mixture. Cool for grilling and smoking, be careful if frying as the mix will seep out and cause splatter, but I have done it. The drummette will hold injection too. Quick way to get more flavor and heat into the wing parts themselves.

Bob

Czarbecue
03-14-2019, 05:46 AM
I prefer the flat. so does :becky:

if I separated she would leave me only drummies. there has since been a referendum on parted wings, take one you get both

Kroger sell frozen bags of flats for about $12. I think it’s a 3.5 pound bag. I can’t tell the difference from fresh and I have no waste like tips or drummies.

16Adams
03-14-2019, 05:53 AM
Flats. They remind me of rattlesnake. A little more work for better meat. When your teeth are bumping cartilage & bone it always tastes better. Same with spare rib brisket. Caveat: IMHO

Robert
03-14-2019, 06:04 AM
Wasn't an option for saving the wing tip so I voted some other way. I prefer the flat, wife the drummy so I usually buy the 10 pound Tyson bag with pieces separated. I rarely buy the whole wing. Got an idea while reading the responses: after making stock with wing tips, what about throwing them on the smoker in heavy smoke and then a quick coating of flour and a quick trip through some hot oil? Or skip the smoke and fry or smoke only?

Robert

ModelMaker
03-14-2019, 08:11 AM
I remove the tip and cut the web so the drum and flat just pull apart. The most fun is to hold the flat and pull the little knuckle and both bones then you can just pop the whole thing up to your fingers and chow it.
Ed

Ron_L
03-14-2019, 10:32 AM
I separate them, but don't throw the wing tip in the trash. They go into the freezer for my next batch of bone broth.

So, I chose 'some other way' in the poll :-D

Cat797
03-14-2019, 11:20 AM
I've gotten spoiled since my local Kroger started carrying 5lb bags of frozen Tyson flats.
The flats seem to be moister than the drummies typically, and these are larger than average flats.
Not that I turn up my nose at a drummie.

Since you are in my neck of the woods, I'm going to have to check that out......

I screwed up many years ago and turned my son on to the beauty of the flat...Now he don't want to eat drummies if he has a choice either! :biggrin1:

If I'm cooking them (we prefer smoked and grilled or GFC), I always separate the flat and drummy, and throw the tip in the trash......

Ed

BuffettFan
03-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Cat, The EP Kroger usually has them in a bunker freezer by the lunchmeat section. Very generic looking bags, no big Tyson logo. ~$13 IIRC.
Got a couple in the freezer, I'll try to remember to post a pic.

BTW, I was downtown last week and headed to El Mexicano for a couple of lengua tacos but got called back to work before I could get there.
So close!