PDA

View Full Version : Best PBC kit?

SmokyDick
03-11-2019, 06:24 PM
Are there any better kits to get than the original PBC?

I know this could probably be built cheaper by myself - but i'd rather just get a kit.

Servo
03-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Better kits? No. But hey, that's just my opinion...

Cheaper? Sure, I think the knock-off company that came out with the Barrel Smoker sells it at a lower price point.

Also, there is Pit Barrel Jr which many members here use as a 'side cooker' as it can handle most anything for a small household, just doesn't do big parties.

Stlsportster
03-11-2019, 06:42 PM
The PBC is a rock solid cooker with great fit and finish. There are a few knockoff competitors that you can probably get for less....and as you said building one is cheaper too.

But I know you won’t be disappointed with the original.

JackBBQ
03-11-2019, 07:33 PM
Get the PBC. You won't be disappointed.

Open the box, unpack it, start the fire, and hang the meat. It's that simple. I've got other smokers, but if I had to choose just one, it would be my PBC.

pharp
03-11-2019, 07:34 PM
I use mine 3-4 times a week. Get it!

SmokyDick
03-11-2019, 08:30 PM
Lots of glowing reviews - I guess the PBC it is!

Speeed
03-11-2019, 08:47 PM
I keep looking at the PBC and keep telling myself NO.
Keep us posted once you get it.
Seems like a really good deal for the price and haven't really heard anyone talk bad about them. Quite the opposite in fact. Heard called a "rib machine" from many different people.

Compared to what we spend on everything else the PBC is a bargain.

pjtexas1
03-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Not the same but they always seem to be on sale.
https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=333914739

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SergeantSmoke
03-11-2019, 11:13 PM
I went round and round trying to decide between the PBC and a treager jr for almost a year. For me it really came down to taste and capacity. I love the flavor charcoal gives meat and capacity wise the PBC wins out. 2 years later I don't regret me decision one bit.

Purchase a kit and while you're waiting for it to arrive watch all of their videos and do a little reading.

drunkenmeatfist
03-12-2019, 12:29 AM
PBC doesn't sell kits, unless you consider buying a complete product buying a kit. You should research the topic before asking uninformed questions.

Sorry, I was just trying to make a SmokyDick type response to SmokyDick.

smoke ninja
03-12-2019, 08:40 AM
PBC doesn't sell kits, unless you consider buying a complete product buying a kit. You should research the topic before asking uninformed questions.

Sorry, I was just trying to make a SmokyDick type response to SmokyDick.

I would consider a kit to be something you build yourself like a big poppa smokers kit. the pbc is a commercial available uds.

I bought the bhc "knockoff" for $90 and really like it

Smo Kin Dave
03-12-2019, 10:21 AM
I agree with everyone else here, get the PBC and you'll never regret it. I have many smokers and the PBC is one of the best. It makes very good ribs and great chicken.

jermoQ
03-12-2019, 11:03 AM
The PBC is awesome and puts out awesome food! I dont have one, but I have seen it in action, and had the food, from a fellow brethren. Another kit that I know of, for a bigger barrel, to look at would be one of the Big Poppa Kits. I believe it is cheaper than the PBS but you still have to purchase a drum and build it..so that wouldnt work for you if you dont want to build.

happyappy
03-13-2019, 02:42 PM
Not the same but they always seem to be on sale.
https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=333914739

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip! The Barrel House Cooker 18C is on a national markdown with walmart for $45. I picked up the last one at my local walmart this morning.

Sounds like there is a preference for the PBC here, but for 45 bucks, I figured I couldn't go wrong with the BHC.

Looks like I'll be cooking ribs this weekend.

SmokyDick
03-13-2019, 02:47 PM
No sales on the BHC around me.

smoke ninja
03-13-2019, 04:46 PM
what's your budget?

brands like hunsaker and gateway are considered the Cadillac of drum smokers. you can even buy parts and build your own. these things are very slick, high end with great design features and fit and finish

WilliamKY
03-13-2019, 05:12 PM
If you want to do it yourself you might check out Big Poppa Smokers. I had my own drum and bought their hardware kit. I love my UDS. They also sell the drum and kit in stages from pre-drilled to complete.
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/bps-drum-kit-parts

SmokyDick
03-13-2019, 05:13 PM
~$300 - hunsakars are way more than that are they not?

Blythewood BBQ'er
03-13-2019, 05:34 PM
It's a great smoker, some of the best chicken I ever ate came off one. Oh I know a place you might be able to get one for a measly 5 bucks
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269378

Joshw
03-13-2019, 05:50 PM
~$300 - hunsakars are way more than that are they not?

If you buy them built they are $800, but they sell an unpainted one for $600 and DIY kits, that range from $375 to $200, depending on which one you buy.

LloydQ
03-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Just my 2 cents, but an 18.5" WSM with a $50 Gateway hanging kit is a very versatile setup. Can do everything the PBC can do, plus run with or without water in the pan for conventional smoker use.

jermoQ
03-13-2019, 11:55 PM
Just my 2 cents, but an 18.5" WSM with a $50 Gateway hanging kit is a very versatile setup. Can do everything the PBC can do, plus run with or without water in the pan for conventional smoker use.

This would be may second recommendation. Good cooker, two racks, and more versatile than the PBC