PDA

View Full Version : Making Pastrami.....

smokingmeats
03-11-2019, 03:55 PM
And Im wondering if its worth corning my own brisket and going through that whole process, or just buy a corned beef brisket?

Thoughts Pastrami experts?

Pedro7
03-11-2019, 04:04 PM
I've done both. It's cool to do it yourself, but it's much easier to just buy it pre-corned...

I'm not expert tho. I've only done it a few times, so i honestly couldn't tell you which one is better than the other.

SirPorkaLot
03-11-2019, 04:10 PM
I cheat

Love this time of year, corned beef brisket is plentiful and cheap

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190311/09b25e0e328b91881403770504f32882.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190311/5228f6254e364cbdf7f08fc22438f7c8.jpg

kfdvm
03-11-2019, 05:37 PM
Wait until St. Patrick’s day is over. Then go to Sams and buy a bunch. I use a lot for corn beef hash.

legendaryhog
03-11-2019, 06:00 PM
I prefer making my own. The store bought pre-corned stuff is like 35% solution of water, salt (and other various sodium products and tenderized with papain. You cook it and it becomes about half it's size. You are basically paying for at least a third of the weight in weird solution they inject to corn the piece of meat and make it last longer on the shelf. They are so, so salty. Also papain gives it a weird texture I think...but each to his own.

Corning a brisket (or anything for that matter) is really easy. The most expensive thing you will need is a clean bucket or big container. Other than that it's just spices and cure (pink salt or you can use tender quick too).

I did corn pork spare ribs once and smoke them...they were weird...

Home Farm BBQ
03-11-2019, 06:03 PM
I’ve been buying corned beef. Soaking for a day to remove the salt and brine. Then doing a quick rub and onto smoker. I’ve done it very simple. Grilling addiction rub. Pecan and cherry wood. Running 275 until good color and bark. Then wrapping in foil. I have two soaking that I’ve going to try steaming in pan with beef broth. Meat will sit on tray above beef broth and covered loosely. Might let the bark darken more before wrapping this time.

I just ordered some pink curing salt #1 to do my own though. I’ve done with tender quick in the past. Most videos I’ve seen suggest this is better. I tend to like the process of these types of things. Lots of good videos out there. Check out allthingsbbq, Malcom reed and meathead from amazing ribs. All good pastrami videos.

This weekend I’m going to mix up a traditional pastrami rub with coriander. Makes great sandwiches.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190311/7f6d7b5269708f8a3076cdd3c81b23cc.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190311/c03f556edef35049fc27902e7d9e8e27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJJBBQ
03-11-2019, 06:04 PM
I went with the corned beef route last weekend and was very pleased with the results. Might try from scratch sometime in the future just to give it a try.

Sooner21
03-11-2019, 06:20 PM
Has anybody used the point only for pastrami? Like most here, I prefer the point, but Malcolm's site says the point is too fatty for pastrami.

Home Farm BBQ
03-11-2019, 06:32 PM
Has anybody used the point only for pastrami? Like most here, I prefer the point, but Malcolm's site says the point is too fatty for pastrami.

I would think it would work fine. Especially if chilled and used for sandwiches when slicing. I’ve seen a lot of fatty pastrami and some claim it is better that way. I assumed it was the point or point/flat not separated.

TravelingJ
03-11-2019, 08:52 PM
I've only used the already corned beef briskets. The last round I did one point, and one flat. We loved the point-and I'm normally a 'cut the fat off my steak' kinda guy. I plan to stock up with this 'holiday'. It's good to know that Sam's is the place to stock up, so thanks for that tip!

cowgirl
03-11-2019, 09:29 PM
I prefer home made too. It's easy to make, just takes a few days of sittin' in the cure, then you're ready to smoke.
Corned pork pastrami, beef and venison are mighty tasty. imo

ShadowDriver
03-11-2019, 09:53 PM

Pfffffffft. Whatever, Malcom. A bit of fat doesn't hurt anybody, and it probably tastes better that way.

I drive to Wally World in search of a pre-corned brisket point specifically for this purpose.

Back to the original thought - As a great way to get your foot in the door, I highly suggest the pre-corned option with varying time in a fresh water bath to help with some of the extra sodium. Once that's done, I'd suggest making the decision on which way you'd like to go on a more frequent basis - homemade vs. pre-corned.

I'll continue to promote Thirdeye's Blog about Pastrami with excellent rubs and finishing options (of which I think I've tried most all).

Lots of excellent pastrami-related posts here on the forum, just a search function away.... including pastrami'd ribs, pastrami'd beef tongue.... and More!

Have fun! Let us know what you decide to try and show us how it goes for the next batch of pastrami virgins!

Norm
03-12-2019, 12:13 PM
I agree with Marc especially ignoring the part about the point having too much fat via Malcolm. Soaking helps but if it's been injected by the company doing the corning you're only going to get the surface salt out. I like to corn my own brisket and use a full packer. Nothing wrong with buying the pre-corned ones but I'm salt sensitive so that's why I'm corning my own.

Thirdeye has some very good info on how to as plenty of other folks here. Good luck!

jermoQ
03-12-2019, 12:55 PM
No expert here! I just buy the corned beef from the store. Usually the points, but the flats make a good pastrami too. Soak it first. I do 4 hours then change water, 3 or 4 times. Then I use Meatheads pastrami rub to season, and let sit o overnight or two before smoking.

DanB
03-12-2019, 02:05 PM
Hi All Forgive me for hi jacking this thread, but I'd like to find a recipe for Pastrami from scratch. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks DanB

BuffaloDave
03-12-2019, 02:07 PM
I make pastrami all the time and would advise to try doing it from scratch at least once. It's extremely easy & you'll know the quality of meat you have from the beginning. I absolutely use the point as well, along with the deckle it's the best bite!

For me the biggest reason to do it from scratch is you can leave more fat on.... a nice layer of fat on pastrami is very desirable while it is unappealing for corned beef. Boiled cured fat is gummy and gross but wonderful smoked!

BuffaloDave
03-12-2019, 02:11 PM
Hi All Forgive me for hi jacking this thread, but I'd like to find a recipe for Pastrami from scratch. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks DanB

amazing ribs site has a nice easy recipe.

EdF
03-12-2019, 03:32 PM
Thanks DanB

I'm sure there's at least one here. https://kosherdosher4.blogspot.com/p/just-pastrami.html (the pastrami king from what I can see).

I've made pastrami both with store-bought corned beef and from scratch. I prefer from scratch, and it's really not that much more work. I'd still eat the pastrami based on store-bought too. Guess it's a matter of how ambitious you're feeling.

DesertRaider
03-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Last year I tried making pastrami for the first time and used store bought. Then I realized I had a lot to learn, from curing my own to smoking it properly. This year for pastrami I'm going to again try the store bought, because they're cheaper mistakes:wink: But, I am going to try curing my own corned beef. If I get that part right, there's potential for scratch made pastrami in my future.

Smoking Piney
03-12-2019, 05:24 PM
I cheat

Love this time of year, corned beef brisket is plentiful and cheap

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190311/09b25e0e328b91881403770504f32882.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190311/5228f6254e364cbdf7f08fc22438f7c8.jpg

Agree.

John, that looks incredible! :thumb:

I give my corned beef a couple of days of soak before I smoke for pastrami.

smokingmeats
03-12-2019, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys. This is all very helpful

BuffaloDave
03-13-2019, 07:26 AM
Here's a point I have curing 2 days in. Flat is curing in another container.

BuffaloDave
03-13-2019, 07:40 AM
not sure why it's sideways but oh well.

Here's my method of making pastrami that has worked very well for me. I did a charity event last fall with 20 local chefs and it got rave reviews.

I use a whole packer and cure the point whole and the flat separated into 2 totaling 3 roughly equal sized pieces. Sometimes I pastrami short ribs. I cure at least 7 days (longer for shorties), rinse then desalinate in water for at least 8 hrs. After that the rub is applied and I leave it in the cooler unwrapped for at least 1 full day. Seems like overkill but it makes a difference. Then I smoke to 150 i.t. been using cherry as it mingles nicely with the coriander (i go heavy heavy coriander)

After this you could steam up to temp, but I opt to sous vide at 149 for 36 hrs. I use a searzall to crisp the bark back up. Final product is unreal.

If I had a nice big offset I would probably give a whole packer a go and do it straight through, but curing time would def increase.

Ron_L
03-13-2019, 10:00 AM
not sure why it's sideways but oh well.

This explains picture rotation issues...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263284

Bacchus2b
03-13-2019, 06:28 PM
Thanks DanB

Basic Pastrami Recipe

Corned Beef Brine - (Recipe Follows)
Packer Brisket - Whole
Coriander Whole - 2 oz.
Black Pepper, Whole - 2 oz.

Method

Trim external fat to 1/16" thick, and inject/pump Brisket with 10% of it's weight in brine and cure for three days in remaining brine. A large meat lug works well for this. A ten pound Brisket would be injected with one pound of brine (10% of its weight). Flip the brisket over once per day, and don't worry if it's not completely submerged in brine.

Rinse Brisket well and pat dry. Lightly toast whole peppercorns and Coriander, then grind in a blender or food processor to a medium fine consistency and rub all over the brisket.

Cold smoke for two hours or longer (I use an Amazin smoke tube), then crank the heat up and smoke at 185F to an internal temperature of 155F. Chilling the Pastrami at that point will make it easier to slice, and you can steam slices to reheat. You can also cryovac and freeze after slicing and reheat sous vide. I also separate the Flat and the Point to remove excess fat before slicing.

Brine Formula

1.5 Gallons Water
1.0 lbs. Kosher Salt
5 oz. Sweetener (Granulated Sugar, Dextrose, Honey, etc.)
3.5 oz. TCM (AKA Instacure, Tinted Curing Salt, PP#1)
3 Cloves Peeled Garlic (Puree in blender with brine)
1 Tablespoon Pickling Spice (Puree in blender with brine)

Brine Method

Dissolve Salt, TCM, and Sweetener in a non-reactive plastic container. Hot or warm water makes it easier to dissolve, but the brine must be chilled before injecting into the brisket. Lightly puree the garlic and pickling spices in some brine and add back to the rest.

Hope that helps!

dubob
03-19-2019, 01:07 PM
I have used this method on elk, antelope, deer, ducks, and geese. I have no doubt it will work just fine on beef. Some folks like the Cure#1 salt better than Tender Quick but I've not seen any difference. Let me know if you use it and it works out okay for you. Open the attached file for the specifics.