PDA

View Full Version : UDS Build Question

Little Mike
03-03-2019, 05:07 AM
Hello Brethren, quick drum question. If building using a reconditioned drum, that was bought from a guy you know at a drum company, and that drum was chemically cleaned and rinsed and only had a rust preventative added do you still need to do the burn out or is prepping the inside with a wire wheel and wiping down with acetone sufficient before seasoning it with a couple of fatties? Thanks!

Nuco59
03-03-2019, 05:22 AM
Practically every response you will get will have "burn it"in there somewhere. That's really not for me.

I don't live far from a fire station- they can be a pesky lot.

The rust preventative on my drum was easily scratched- so I used one of those heavy duty scotch brite pads -the purple /brownish ones. Was not too bad- if I had a brush wheel for my drill, I'd have used that. I washed it out with some super hot water with a bit of laundry detergent in it. Rinsed with clean water and dried with an old towel. I don't believe I'd use acetone. Need to be quick with the seasoning - that mild steel rusts very quickly.
Good luck, sir.

ferincr
03-03-2019, 09:28 AM
I'm very new at this and I normally don't advise on things I don't know of, but...
The drum I bought for my UDS was previously loaded with some vaseline or petrolium jelly product (yes I did burn it off).
Then I did a seasoning, but to be honest it took a few cooks before it looked properly seasoned, so if it's going to take a few burns to be properly seasoned why not add an extra burn at the beginning and just be sure you get rid of any nasty things that might at least give off flavors to your food?
Just my $0.02
Fernando

WilliamKY
03-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Burn it just to be safe. I filled my drum with branches and untreated lumber scraps and burned blazing hot for about 2hrs. Burning sounds less tedious than scrubbing it out too. Good luck.

CptKaos
03-03-2019, 11:32 AM
If you burn it out good there will prolly more survivors willing to attend your second cook :)

Larry

Ole Man Dan
03-06-2019, 01:26 AM
Hello Brethren, quick drum question. If building using a reconditioned drum, that was bought from a guy you know at a drum company, and that drum was chemically cleaned and rinsed and only had a rust preventative added do you still need to do the burn out or is prepping the inside with a wire wheel and wiping down with acetone sufficient before seasoning it with a couple of fatties? Thanks!

Yep... Burn Baby Burn.
I use a Propane weed burner to burn em out.
I don't trust most 'Rust Preventives' It can be some nasty stuff.
I know what you mean about Fire Depts. I live close to one also.

When I built my first UDS I filled the drum with wood and burned it out.
The Fire Dept arrived about 10 minutes into the burn.
I had a Garden Hose there just in case, so I escaped their wrath with a warning.
BTW: It's easier to burn one out with a Weed Burner than with a load of wood. Acetone is something I don't use. I wash em out with Simple Green, then rinse it out several times, dried it, and sprayed it with Vegetable Oil. Built a Charcoal fire in it, and seasoned it that day.
UDS's are great smokers.

Kack
03-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Not sure why this is even a question. It's always more fun to burn stuff while drinking beer with your buddies.

Drill it, weld in your fittings and grate holders then light that sumbitch up !!

Radrob
03-07-2019, 01:19 PM
I'd go buy a few cans of easy off oven cleaner and see if that works. Soak it down and let it sit a few hours then rinse it out. You'll know if it worked when you see rust forming after sitting overnight.

It's worth a shot for 10 bucks and that could save time and labor.