PDA

View Full Version : What was Weber thinking?

dadsr4
03-02-2019, 04:34 PM
I've been cooking on Weber kettles for a long time, and was using the hook under the lid for most of that time to store the lid while it wasn't in use.
Picked up a $40.00 One-touch on clearance from Walmart and put it together. Went to hang the lid and they've relocated the hook 90 degrees.:roll:
What was once an easy one handed move now takes a steadying second hand to snag the kettle rim. Even when it's hooked, it's not as secure as my other two kettles. So I've ended up using one of my wife's plant stands as a place to set the lid.

What are other people doing?

WilliamKY
03-02-2019, 05:05 PM
Since the grill is on clearance I have to ask, is this an approved relocation or a factory mistake?

Nuco59
03-02-2019, 05:06 PM
Not sure why they'd jack up the placement - probably an automation requirement- makes the line run faster yadda yadda.. But that 1/8 inch of the hook they took off adds up over time. So- it's the bean counters.

If anyone tested the new setup who's had as much "time over kettle" as you've had, they would have complained about both. It's the little things that can collectively piss you off.

They've managed to foul something up that's been damn near perfect for generations.

4ever3
03-02-2019, 05:47 PM
Like Nuco said, prolly the farkin bean counters...

robert-r
03-02-2019, 05:51 PM
I've been cooking on Weber kettles for a long time, and was using the hook under the lid for most of that time to store the lid while it wasn't in use.
Picked up a $40.00 One-touch on clearance from Walmart and put it together. Went to hang the lid and they've relocated the hook 90 degrees.:roll:
What was once an easy one handed move now takes a steadying second hand to snag the kettle rim. Even when it's hooked, it's not as secure as my other two kettles. So I've ended up using one of my wife's plant stands as a place to set the lid.

What are other people doing?

Bought one of those, too. Haven't assembled it yet. Any other surprises?

dadsr4
03-02-2019, 06:00 PM
Since the grill is on clearance I have to ask, is this an approved relocation or a factory mistake?
They are all like that. If you think of the handle pointing at 12 and 6 o'clock, the hook was always at 12 when you pick the lid up. Kind of like a shield, the handle provided leverage. Now the handle is on the 3 to 9 o'clock axis relative to the hook, it's awkward to obtain leverage to orient the hook
The only thing I can think of is that the introduction of the lid thermometer prevents the original orientation. And since the thermometer reading bears only slight relation to the temperature at grate level, which is the important value, it seems a poor decision.

WilliamKY
03-02-2019, 06:17 PM
They are all like that. If you think of the handle pointing at 12 and 6 o'clock, the hook was always at 12 when you pick the lid up. Kind of like a shield, the handle provided leverage. Now the handle is on the 3 to 9 o'clock axis relative to the hook, it's awkward to obtain leverage to orient the hook
The only thing I can think of is that the introduction of the lid thermometer prevents the original orientation. And since the thermometer reading bears only slight relation to the temperature at grate level, which is the important value, it seems a poor decision.
Yeah that is weird. I use a 26 now with no hook but I still have my old 22 lid (2004ish). The hook is mounted on the same rivet as the exhaust vent.

dadsr4
03-02-2019, 06:25 PM
Yeah that is weird. I use a 26 now with no hook but I still have my old 22 lid (2004ish). The hook is mounted on the same rivet as the exhaust vent.
Jumping from two Weber daisy wheel kettles, 1979 and 1993, it's somewhat of a shock.
The 26" has the bale, so you don't have to use the hook. I will be fabricating something to hang the lid from, just don't know what. The Slide-a-side is still available on Amazon, just seems wrong that you need to buy something extra to solve the problem they designed in.

Mikhail
03-02-2019, 06:30 PM
Write them about it. Whenever I hear 'Walmart' I hear a bean counter mod that was done to get the cost per unit down to the buyer's spec. Wally, as good as they are for many people, has screwed up a lot of products made specifically for them.

ironmanerik
03-02-2019, 07:08 PM
Write them about it. Whenever I hear 'Walmart' I hear a bean counter mod that was done to get the cost per unit down to the buyer's spec. Wally, as good as they are for many people, has screwed up a lot of products made specifically for them.

I've heard this before. It would be interesting to see if anyone has the same model purchased directly from Weber whether the hook is the same on both.

dadsr4
03-02-2019, 07:23 PM
I've heard this before. It would be interesting to see if anyone has the same model purchased directly from Weber whether the hook is the same on both.
From Weber's current website
https://product-images.weber.com/Grill-Images/Charcoal/14401001AC_REV.png?fit=fill&h=950&w=1000&trim=color&trimtol=10&bg=0FFF&pad=50
How it used to be

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/05ZVZOY5A-k/maxresdefault.jpg

Czarbecue
03-02-2019, 07:48 PM
From Weber's current website
https://product-images.weber.com/Grill-Images/Charcoal/14401001AC_REV.png?fit=fill&h=950&w=1000&trim=color&trimtol=10&bg=0FFF&pad=50
How it used to be

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/05ZVZOY5A-k/maxresdefault.jpg

I donít see the difference?

gtr
03-02-2019, 07:53 PM
^^^the new way, the handle is parallel to the ground. The old way, the hand is perpendicular to the ground. It's easier to just slide the lid back to rest without having to rotate 90 degrees, which is necessary with the newer orientation.

Smoke Dawg
03-02-2019, 07:55 PM
Or...…. The new way the handle is horizontal and the old way the handle is vertical, which is the way we cook - vertical most of the time!

Czarbecue
03-02-2019, 08:00 PM
My bad. I thought you guys were talking the angle of the lid itself.

Dweverett
03-02-2019, 08:20 PM
I'd have to go outside and check mine (which I think is two years old) but I think it's in the new orientation. I'm basing that more on the orientation of the thermometer which is opposite the vents like in the current pic above. I've also found it somewhat awkward to catch the hook and this would help explain why.

I'd prefer the layout of the copper kettle shot for the therm placement as well. Being opposite the vent means it's directly over the coals on offset cooks (given that I want the vent over the meat to draw the heat/smoke across it). It was never going to be a super accurate measure but that makes it completely useless.

charrederhead
03-02-2019, 08:21 PM
It was a deliberate and VERY BAD design change.

I have a new 3 qt sauce pot with the same bs. My 1950s RevereWear pot's handle is narrow and "tall", vs my new pot's wide and flat handle. Pouring out of the old pot is much easier. Course, I'm old, so....:sad:

Imo, Weber also screwed up the ash pot. I find the old design easier to remove and re-attach. Not as big a deal, but it's another non-improving improvement.

I say find a One-Touch Gold on CL or FMP. Less $$, better kettle!

pjtexas1
03-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Mine has the original orientation and it is 3-4 years old. The new way would be a little awkward.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dadsr4
03-02-2019, 09:49 PM
It's like using a coffeepot with a horizontal handle, or a charcoal chimney.

lunchman
03-02-2019, 10:02 PM
I'm failing to see the issue here, maybe it's just the way I have my 18" kettle from 2002 oriented. My handle's at 12 to 6 with the vent and hook at 9. When I remove the lid I hang it at 3 o'clock. Works perfectly for my grilling needs.

Is the hook on your lid not on the same side as the vent?

dadsr4
03-02-2019, 10:12 PM
I'm failing to see the issue here, maybe it's just the way I have my 18" kettle from 2002 oriented. My handle's at 12 to 6 with the vent and hook at 9. When I remove the lid I hang it at 3 o'clock. Works perfectly for my grilling needs.

Is the hook on your lid not on the same side as the vent?
That's one of the reasons I never liked the 18" kettle. Didn't realize they had changed the 22". If you were used to the old 22" style, you would realize how awkward the redesign is.

Bob C Cue
03-02-2019, 10:24 PM
I think I read somewhere that more and more people are cooking from 3-9 o'clock instead of 6-12 so they changed the hook orientation to accommodate them. Isn't that the dumbest thing you've ever heard?

Mikhail
03-03-2019, 07:35 AM
Interesting. Not sure I see where the savings would be in manufacturing, but then I don't know much about how they do it. I wonder if it just makes a visually neater lid?