PDA

View Full Version : Added the Weber Ranch Kettle to the stable

Czarbecue
02-27-2019, 09:35 PM
I still canít believe the kettle laid unclaimed for weeks in the buy/sell section from brethren Demosthenes9. So I bit. I said Iíll buy it if it was still available mid Feb and it was! Just a 7 hour drive north of Atlanta. Road trip, anyone?

I changed positions at my job so Iím moving back to a 9-5, M-F schedule, which I loathe. Last weekend was my last one that included weekdays so I took the opportunity to grab the kettle. Wife wanted to come along so we dragged the kids along too. Left Atlanta at 11pm on Wednesday night and arrived in Louisville around 7am. Had a pit stop for a chicken and cheese crispito somewhere near Manchester, TN. At 3 am, it was damn good.

Wife said I was crazy to spend this amount of money on a grill. But she thinks I can get the same kind at Walmart. So I said fine, buy your purses at Walmart too. I havenít heard anything since.

Just got the vortex in today. The medium barely cleared the grates.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190228/0b47fb606662148e57b652e674577252.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190228/72304947a413bc3237217a9b6551053c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190228/93bd0a8e9dd68a3b87d3e58b2652c729.jpg

Stlsportster
02-27-2019, 09:37 PM
You should mount that on the Bandera Wagon!

Smoke on Badger Mountain
02-27-2019, 09:38 PM
Sure is pretty!

Czarbecue
02-27-2019, 09:41 PM
You should mount that on the Bandera Wagon!

That actually crossed my mind! Who needs a spare tire? But seriously, I probably couldnít do it without extending the tongue a couple feet.

rwalters
02-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Awesome!!! Very much look forward to seeing you fire that bad boy up and see her in action. Wanna hear whatcha think!

pjtexas1
02-27-2019, 09:48 PM
She could buy a lot of purses at walmart with that kind of money!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ulc
02-27-2019, 09:49 PM
That thing is huge! How do you plan to use it? Do you regularly entertain and cook for large parties? Seems like overkill for small family cooking.

HogGrog
02-27-2019, 10:13 PM
Congrats!

I have always thought the Ranch would be fun to cook on.

sudsandswine
02-27-2019, 10:22 PM
Ive always wanted one of those, congrats. Cant wait to see some cooks.

pjtexas1
02-27-2019, 10:39 PM
That thing is huge! How do you plan to use it? Do you regularly entertain and cook for large parties? Seems like overkill for small family cooking.I agree... says the guy with a shirley trailer that he uses to cook 2 racks of ribs or 1 brisket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SmittyJonz
02-27-2019, 11:45 PM
That thing is huge! How do you plan to use it? Do you regularly entertain and cook for large parties? Seems like overkill for small family cooking.

https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259858

16Adams
02-28-2019, 04:39 AM
Brethren is going to need Long tongs

Stingerhook
02-28-2019, 07:15 AM
Nice addition.

16Adams
02-28-2019, 08:10 AM
That particular unit gets seen in background shots quite often. Don’t guess I’ve ever seen one in action. Looking forward to some cooks.

Robert
02-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Ive always wanted one of those, congrats. Cant wait to see some cooks.
I've got one for sale in similar condition 4 hours south of you that has been cooked on once. Just sayin'.

Asking $700 OBO

Robert

sudsandswine
02-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Unfortunately for me, the nexus of one being available nearby and having properly funded fun money has yet to intersect :becky:

WilliamKY
02-28-2019, 09:37 AM
I'm in the same city and I eyeballed it a few times but it came down to not having room for it. Nice score. Looking forward to seeing your cooks on that beast.

charrederhead
02-28-2019, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the club!

I don't use mine very much and have never "needed" it, but looking at it makes me smile, every time. It's just sooo freaking cool.

Big George's BBQ
02-28-2019, 09:42 AM
Very Nice Congrats and Enjoy Now you need to get it dirty

tom b
02-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Congratulations! A RK is on my short list of wants.

qnbiker
02-28-2019, 11:30 AM
I think about a Ranch once in a while, but I'm not there yet. Right now, I'm lusting over a 26" kettle. Baby steps.

rwalters
02-28-2019, 11:38 AM
I think about a Ranch once in a while, but I'm not there yet. Right now, I'm lusting over a 26" kettle. Baby steps.

Unless you are cooking LARGE amounts of food, the 26.75 kettle is a fantastic everyday grill! Out of all the charcoal grills I have ever owned, itís been my overall favorite :)

Czarbecue
02-28-2019, 12:18 PM
This replace my need/want for a Caja China box (Cajun microwave). I just need to get a spit jack set up or something so I can roast whole sheets of pork belly over the RK.

Demosthenes9
02-28-2019, 01:14 PM
I still can’t believe the kettle laid unclaimed for weeks in the buy/sell section from brethren Demosthenes9. So I bit. I said I’ll buy it if it was still available mid Feb and it was! Just a 7 hour drive north of Atlanta. Road trip, anyone?

I changed positions at my job so I’m moving back to a 9-5, M-F schedule, which I loathe. Last weekend was my last one that included weekdays so I took the opportunity to grab the kettle. Wife wanted to come along so we dragged the kids along too. Left Atlanta at 11pm on Wednesday night and arrived in Louisville around 7am. Had a pit stop for a chicken and cheese crispito somewhere near Manchester, TN. At 3 am, it was damn good.

Wife said I was crazy to spend this amount of money on a grill. But she thinks I can get the same kind at Walmart. So I said fine, buy your purses at Walmart too. I haven’t heard anything since.

Just got the vortex in today. The medium barely cleared the grates.

This replace my need/want for a Caja China box (Cajun microwave). I just need to get a spit jack set up or something so I can roast whole sheets of pork belly over the RK.

I'm glad it all worked out and that you like the RK. I had some tire kickers nosing around. Even had one guy who really wanted it, but wanted me to meet him half way between Louisville and Nashville. Seems that 3 hours each way was just too far.

I love that you had the entire family packed in the van. That was just classic awesomeness. Most guys seem to have to convince their wives to get approval to purchase something like this and to make a road trip by themselves. Your wife just jumped right in and was along for the ride. Even did some of the driving IIRC. Again, awesomeness !!

I too await seeing some cooks on this beast. Love the idea of adding a roti to it. I might have to look into that myself. I know someone that has the capabilities for rolling metal/steel. Not sure that they'd be able to put a rolled or bent lip on it though for the structural support and to line up with the lip of the lid or bowl. Will have to look into it. That or just skip the ring and get a free standing roti set up that can be put in place.

dadsr4
02-28-2019, 01:48 PM
I too await seeing some cooks on this beast. Love the idea of adding a roti to it. I might have to look into that myself. I know someone that has the capabilities for rolling metal/steel. Not sure that they'd be able to put a rolled or bent lip on it though for the structural support and to line up with the lip of the lid or bowl. Will have to look into it. That or just skip the ring and get a free standing roti set up that can be put in place.
My ring is made from a damaged road sign and is far from air tight. I put 3/4" slices of AL tubing on the inside of the lower set of bolts holding the pieces together. The tubing pieces sit on the rim of the kettle.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1074&pictureid=11156

Czarbecue
02-28-2019, 01:55 PM
Replacement lid from Weber just arrived. They wasted no time.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190228/fabee5a2001656de543c6432f1c80301.jpg

gtr
02-28-2019, 01:59 PM
Congrats! You will love that cooker! I don't use mine all the time, but when I do use it, it comes in super handy. Very versatile and obviously capacity is a big plus.

I've used the medium vortex on mine, but found that it doesn't really burn long enough to get a large batch of wings all the way done, so I got a large. The grate kinda sits on it a little - not too crazy though - and it gets the job done.

One thing about those big grills is the big fires - it gets farking hot! Reaching across the grate can be quite a thing as well.

Demosthenes9
02-28-2019, 10:28 PM
My ring is made from a damaged road sign and is far from air tight. I put 3/4" slices of AL tubing on the inside of the lower set of bolts holding the pieces together. The tubing pieces sit on the rim of the kettle.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1074&pictureid=11156Nice. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

cookingdude555
03-01-2019, 03:16 AM
Welcome to the ranch club.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvaPJpGp6wCJxgU0Ag27W2FfmYoS

dadsr4
03-01-2019, 08:26 AM
Nice. Thanks for the info.

Remembered to grab a picture.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1074&pictureid=12560

dadsr4
03-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Now build a Performer:becky:
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/18/ae/d5/18aed53ccb6dceafd1d7c2cf309ba4ce.jpg

Inthewoods
03-03-2019, 02:02 PM
.... jealous....

Baby Back Maniac
03-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Replacement lid from Weber just arrived. They wasted no time.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190228/fabee5a2001656de543c6432f1c80301.jpg

So much "wow" in this picture.

Stlsportster
03-03-2019, 04:53 PM
So much "wow" in this picture.

Guest video from Czarbecue’s place? See if you and TRoy can fill up all his smokers and that RK?

Mikhail
03-03-2019, 05:25 PM
I have no need for one of those at all, but I still want one. Y'know...just in case a crowd comes over. Love 'em.

Richard_
03-03-2019, 06:50 PM
Time to do a roto pig !

Demosthenes9
03-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Now build a Performer:becky:
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/18/ae/d5/18aed53ccb6dceafd1d7c2cf309ba4ce.jpgHoly **** that is badass!!!

m-fine
03-05-2019, 06:43 AM
The Ranch is the best Weber grill. You don’t need to be grilling for a huge crowd to benefit from the size. A small fire on one side gives you the best direct/indirect cooker in the kettle world.

We use ours often for “crowds” of 10 or fewer, and also for 20+.

rwalters
03-05-2019, 06:53 AM
The Ranch is the best Weber grill. You donít need to be grilling for a huge crowd to benefit from the size. A small fire on one side gives you the best direct/indirect cooker in the kettle world.

We use ours often for ďcrowdsĒ of 10 or fewer, and also for 20+.

Cooking for a minimum of 9 people each day, I have often wondered if the Ranch would be overkill. How many chimneys of charcoal does it require just to bring it up to temp as a nice 2 zone cooker? Whatís the cleanup like compared to my 26.75 kettle? The 26.75 does meet my daily needs more often than not... but there are definitely times where it takes more than one round, especially if we have another family or two over.

Sevengoals
03-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Wow, what a beast.

Congratulations!

Demosthenes9
03-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Cooking for a minimum of 9 people each day, I have often wondered if the Ranch would be overkill. How many chimneys of charcoal does it require just to bring it up to temp as a nice 2 zone cooker? Whatís the cleanup like compared to my 26.75 kettle? The 26.75 does meet my daily needs more often than not... but there are definitely times where it takes more than one round, especially if we have another family or two over.

I often run my Ranch on a 1/2 chimney or so to cook 2 Ribeyes. Directly over the coals to start with, then I move the ribeyes just outside of being directly over the coals for some indirect. Or I'll start them that way, then finish with a hot direct sear.

When doing a good amount of chicken, I'll still only use a full chimney dumped and spread out in the area just under the flip up grates. Single layered. Put the chicken down to mark one side. Lid down for a bit. Lid up to flip, then back down. Once marked on both sides, I'll move the chicken over to the middle for indirect. Obviously, if seriously loading it up, it would take more coal. Or if wanting to do a large number of direct cook items. But overall, it really doesn't use that much coal.

Cleanup is kind of one downside. I remove both grates and use a home made scooper. Either part of a cut off 2 liter bottle, or a hard plastic gallon jug with a handle and the bottom cut out of it. Weber used to make a nice shovel, but it's been discontinued.

rwalters
03-05-2019, 01:20 PM
I often run my Ranch on a 1/2 chimney or so to cook 2 Ribeyes. Directly over the coals to start with, then I move the ribeyes just outside of being directly over the coals for some indirect. Or I'll start them that way, then finish with a hot direct sear.

When doing a good amount of chicken, I'll still only use a full chimney dumped and spread out in the area just under the flip up grates. Single layered. Put the chicken down to mark one side. Lid down for a bit. Lid up to flip, then back down. Once marked on both sides, I'll move the chicken over to the middle for indirect. Obviously, if seriously loading it up, it would take more coal. Or if wanting to do a large number of direct cook items. But overall, it really doesn't use that much coal.

Cleanup is kind of one downside. I remove both grates and use a home made scooper. Either part of a cut off 2 liter bottle, or a hard plastic gallon jug with a handle and the bottom cut out of it. Weber used to make a nice shovel, but it's been discontinued.

So is the Ranch your daily driver? If I were ever to do this, it would have to replace my 26.75 kettle as I just donít have room for both.

dadsr4
03-05-2019, 02:22 PM
I used to use a scoop like that on my 22" daisy wheel kettles. Every time I hit a vent, I lost half the ashes out of the scoop. Then some kind person left an empty plastic vodka bottle by my mailbox.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1074&pictureid=11123

Cut the bottom off and it worked so much better. Fits the shape of the kettle well. An empty salad dressing bottle works almost as well. I use it to move the ashes into the center of the bowl, then use a empty coffee can to scoop up the major portion of the cold ashes. I then use the vodka bottle to put the rest into the coffee can. It scrapes grease off the bowl well, also.

m-fine
03-05-2019, 05:31 PM
So is the Ranch your daily driver? If I were ever to do this, it would have to replace my 26.75 kettle as I just donít have room for both.

The Ranch is our daily driver in the summer. It doesnít take much more charcoal than a 26 or 22 if any more really. When we first got the first one, we figured it needed proportionally more charcoal and ended up creating a massive backflash and mushroom cloud! I learned quickly not to do that again.

Demosthenes9
03-05-2019, 09:01 PM

I bounce back and forth between the ranch, the miniRK and SSP. A man's gotta have options.

Could/would I use it as a daily driver ? Yes.

rwalters
03-05-2019, 09:56 PM
I bounce back and forth between the ranch, the miniRK and SSP. A man's gotta have options.

Could/would I use it as a daily driver ? Yes.

The Ranch is our daily driver in the summer. It doesnít take much more charcoal than a 26 or 22 if any more really. When we first got the first one, we figured it needed proportionally more charcoal and ended up creating a massive backflash and mushroom cloud! I learned quickly not to do that again.

This place is DANGEROUS! Now youíve both got me thinking as this would absolutely eliminate my occasional grill real estate issues. Would be soooo nice!

Demosthenes9
03-10-2019, 12:01 AM
This place is DANGEROUS! Now youíve both got me thinking as this would absolutely eliminate my occasional grill real estate issues. Would be soooo nice!It absolutely would. If you just need the extra space a couple of times a year, I don't know that I'd pay anywhere close to retail for one. Unless you are just absolutely flush and it's no big deal.

But if you could snag one for a good price and have the room for it?? Absolutely!

Mike in Roseville
03-10-2019, 12:53 AM
This place is DANGEROUS! Now youíve both got me thinking as this would absolutely eliminate my occasional grill real estate issues. Would be soooo nice!

Being your neighbor...and all...I'll gladly give you a bit of advice. I had a Ranch. I don't regret one bit selling it and getting second 26"

As much as you love your 26.75"...get another and don't look back.

You're welcome! :clap:

Demosthenes9
03-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Being your neighbor...and all...I'll gladly give you a bit of advice. I had a Ranch. I don't regret one bit selling it and getting second 26"

As much as you love your 26.75"...get another and don't look back.

You're welcome! :clap:
Why not both? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190311/71dfaa7e4078739daa85efedb1db2cb9.jpg

Czarbecue
03-19-2019, 11:29 AM
Hereís what the Slow ĎN Sear XL looks like in a Ranch Kettle. Smaller than expected. I may need another one!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190319/ae73300de8c115267fa29be07a2a557f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190319/6c2d814a67c069c1935277ce05e9c44e.jpg

Demosthenes9
03-19-2019, 12:48 PM
NIce. Do they still make and sell the RKE SnS ?

Monte Cristo
03-19-2019, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the pic...I've been wondering about that.

Czarbecue
03-19-2019, 10:42 PM
NIce. Do they still make and sell the RKE SnS ?

Itís twice the price of the XL and have been discontinued. Iím sure there wasnít much demand for the product but surely someone have it second hand to sell? Itís 3 inches deeper and hugs the curves of the RK a lot better.

m-fine
03-20-2019, 06:44 AM
That XL looks like it will hold more charcoalthan I need for most Ranch cooks. I would try it out before chasing something bigger or getting a second one.