PDA

View Full Version : Prime Brisket Point & Chili

SirPorkaLot
02-27-2019, 05:17 PM
I have a prime point that my wife picked up for me and I am contemplating using it for a non-sanctioned chili competition this weekend.
This is the 3rd annual and I won the first one and came in 2nd on the 2nd one.
Used chuck (non-smoked) both times

Thinking about switching it up a bit and smoke the point before adding the it to the chili.

Whatís your thoughts?
Smoke it whole and chunk it up into chili?
Cut it into cubes ala burnt ends and smoke it?
Donít smoke it?

Mike in Roseville
02-27-2019, 06:02 PM
I'd smoke it as usual, then do a standard dice on it when its finished. That way you get some barky bits and standard delicious point meat.

I have done chili like that many times (usually with the flat and it is awesome)! The point would be off the charts good!

KevinJ
02-27-2019, 06:21 PM
No better way to make Chili than with smoked brisket imo, the last brisket I cooked was just so I'd have leftover batches for Chili, I say smoke it whole.

dadsr4
02-27-2019, 06:22 PM
Smoke if you have the time, but stew beef is the only use I have for brisket, outside of corning. I do enjoy it after it is corned, though.

Theswimmer
02-27-2019, 06:48 PM
Smoke if you have the time, but stew beef is the only use I have for brisket, outside of corning. I do enjoy it after it is corned, though.

Another brisket apostate !
Welcome to the club 😎

16Adams
02-27-2019, 08:55 PM
I grew up on hamburger soups stews and chili. Grilled hamburger. Tacos enchiladas taco salads-- hamburger. We had chili year round several times per month. So when I think of chili I think ground beef ground venison ground buffalo. Etc

I love to add brisket point to my chili. Usually 75/25 burger to brisket. I like to smoke as normal and chop the point into small squares. Smaller than a caramel. Time permitting I like to pan fry and get just a light crisp on those cubes. If I've captured enough juices during brisket cook I'll use those in chili as well. I love brisket in chili but honestly all brisket all chuck all tri tip is not my preference. I mean I wouldn't knock it away I just preferr predominantly ground meat. A product of my environment

Smoke on Badger Mountain
02-27-2019, 09:23 PM
IMO there is no better way to make chili than with smoked brisket. For me it just usually happens to be leftover brisket. Good luck!

Stlsportster
02-27-2019, 09:34 PM
Smoked Chuck Chili here. Love it. Do brisket the same way.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266240

KevinJ
02-27-2019, 09:53 PM
Smoked Chuck Chili here. Love it. Do brisket the same way.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266240
I've smoked Chuck for Chili and it's Brisket >>>> Chuck all day everyday and it's not even close.

Stlsportster
02-27-2019, 09:55 PM
I've smoked Chuck for Chili and it's Brisket >>>> Chuck all day everyday and it's not even close.

Good because around here brisket is cheaper than chuck anyway. :crazy:

KevinJ
02-27-2019, 10:00 PM
Good because around here brisket is cheaper than chuck anyway. :crazy:Not where I live but I like my Chili to be the best it can be. :grin: