PDA

View Full Version : Smoke daddy heavy d pellet grill diffuser

Huskres
02-25-2019, 04:04 PM
Has anyone used this? Not a huge fan of the shape of the diffuser on my blaz’n. Wondering if the wood will produce thin blue smoke or does it smolder when using chunks. Thanks

Smoking Cajun
02-25-2019, 06:02 PM
Has anyone used this? Not a huge fan of the shape of the diffuser on my blaz’n. Wondering if the wood will produce thin blue smoke or does it smolder when using chunks. Thanks

I would be concerned with several things. The first is that it will burn hotter than planned, and this may cause the controller to stop feeding pellets. the second is the heat flow, it looks like it may restrict the flow of the heat from the burn pot to a much narrower flow, and this may cause uneven cooking or cause the sides of the pit directly across from the channels to get too hot. May not be an issue with the Blaz'n since it is double walled. It think that it will smolder, giving it too much white smoke.

I have heard of people putting wood chunks on top of the diffuser plate to get some more smoke.

stan5677
02-25-2019, 06:13 PM

I have one with my pellet pro but have yet to use it.

RCAlan
02-26-2019, 07:00 PM

I posted this on another forum site “last year”... I hope the info is informative and helpful.

This is going to be along post, sorry, but I hope the info helps... I’ve been looking for some extra smoke flavor for a while... Saw the OP a while back and watched the video and did some research. I also watched the video of the JenUwineJerry stick burning heat diffuser and thought it was a good design also... hard choice, but I went ahead and got myself the Heavy D stick burning heat diffuser from SmokeDaddyinc.com last week and fired it up for the first time today. I have a Pitboss Austin XL which is a Non-PID controller pellet grill... I had some concerns with the possibility of abnormal temp swings because of the extra heat being produced. Its design is a much better heat diffuser then the stock one which is designed for direct flame grilling. I experienced no wild temps swings at all.. Didn’t need to prop/crack the lid at all and temps were within 10* degrees +- all day for a Non PID controller Pit Boss.. Now for the added smoke flavor... I used Hickory wood chunks and lump charcoals in the “Heavy D”, mostly the Hickory Chunks.. The added wood flavor was great true wood flavor.. I could truly tell the difference because of the size of the chunks and the amount of wood that can be added. The chunks will burn for a couple of hours and then the wood pellet smoke will kick in after the chunks have burned out, but that 2 plus hours of wood smoke is huge. Pellet smoke is nice, but those who miss that “Extra” that only true wood can produce, this is the direction you should go.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and always... Semper Fi

drunkenmeatfist
02-26-2019, 07:45 PM
Well after reading this thread and googling I found out that the rapper Heavy D died in 2011. RIP.

mrjamessaitta
02-26-2019, 09:07 PM
The SMOKE DADDY HEAVY D PELLET GRILL died in 2011. It was the past. You can buy a new pellet grill is this list: https://www.bbqqueens.com/best-pellet-smokers-reviews/

RCAlan
02-27-2019, 02:08 AM
The SMOKE DADDY HEAVY D PELLET GRILL died in 2011. It was the past. You can buy a new pellet grill is this list: https://www.bbqqueens.com/best-pellet-smokers-reviews/

The Original Poster was referring to this... https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/

And not a Pellet Grill...

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Norm
02-27-2019, 10:57 AM
Are you the owner of the review site James?