PDA

View Full Version : A Rancherís Wisdom And BBQ Analogy

16Adams
02-24-2019, 09:27 AM
I was deer hunting on The Colorado. The rancher departed saying he needed to receive some cattle at the home place. I made a stupid statement about the current low price of beef, and he told me ďthe time to buy cattle is when everyone wants out of the cattle businessĒ.

Iím thinking this may be true for BBQ. A large segment from patio to competitors seems to be gravitating to Pellet Cookers.

May be a great time to pick up steel cookers.

luv2smoke
02-24-2019, 12:08 PM
I was deer hunting on The Colorado. The rancher departed saying he needed to receive some cattle at the home place. I made a stupid statement about the current low price of beef, and he told me ďthe time to buy cattle is when everyone wants out of the cattle businessĒ.

Iím thinking this may be true for BBQ. A large segment from patio to competitors seems to be gravitating to Pellet Cookers.

May be a great time to pick up steel cookers.

Been there done that. I had convinced myself the pellets were the only way to go for some time. I had cooked on most pellet cookers known to mankind for a period of 6-7 years and had myself convinced pellets were the way to go and thought that I'd never go back to the traditional style of BBQ. I live in an area where BBQ is not all that popular and BBQ restaurants are scarce.
After 6-7 years of pellet cooking I made a trip out of state and stopped by a BBQ joint I used to frequent years before. Upon the first bite of food I noticed a remarkable difference in flavor to what I had been accustomed to with a pellet burner. I could actually taste a prominent wood flavor that had certainly been lacking with all the different pellet cookers that I had been cooking with. The BBQ joint was using mesquite for heat and he'd add some pecan for flavoring, it developed a flavor profile that I had never achieved with pellet burners.
Short story is, I convinced myself that pellet burners were the way to go but in the end I was only fooling myself. I gave away my pellet burners and have never looked back.

16Adams
02-24-2019, 12:28 PM
That "kiss of mesquite" is what a lot of people love, unknowingly.

luv2smoke
02-24-2019, 01:07 PM

Yes, and if one is honest with themselves you can't tell mesquite from Apple with pellets.

Zin
02-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Mesquite is the king of woods.