PDA

View Full Version : Ground Bison questions

Pig_Farmer
02-19-2019, 06:55 PM
A coworker gave me 4#s of bison. 2 packages of 2#s each. I have never cooked bison, but I couldn't pass it up. He may be bringing me more if I like it. So, I have searched the forums and found a few threads regarding ground bison. Now I am just more confused. :wacko:

With 1 package I was wanting to do some burgers. Should I grill them on the kettle or do smash burgers on the BS? 100% bison or mix it with something (10-15% pork) for some moisture? if I mix, do I regrind with the pork or just mix by hand? Is there such a thing as over grinding meat?

With the other package I want to do a smoked meatloaf. I was thinking of a 50/50 of pork/bison. Does this sound about right? Cook to what temp? Do I take it to around 165*? That is when I usually pull off my meatloaf.

Signed,
Baffled by Bison

Norm
02-19-2019, 07:08 PM
I'd do them on your BS.

Unless it's really lean looking I'd try it straight up the 1st time. If they look to lean I'd grind a fatty meat of your choice and hand mix it in. I've never had good luck doing a double grind. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Pig_Farmer
02-19-2019, 07:12 PM
I'd do them on your BS.

Unless it's really lean looking I'd try it straight up the 1st time. If they look to lean I'd grind a fatty meat of your choice and hand mix it in. I've never had good luck doing a double grind. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Great idea!! Why didn't I think of a fatty. (Don't answer that)

DerHusker
02-19-2019, 07:19 PM
Ground Bison makes a fantastic burger. I've made what is known as a Buffalo Buffalo Burger a few times and it is my very favorite burger. In fact I've labelled it "The Best Burger Ever!" Here's a pic and a link in case you want to give it a try.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4334/36836666796_7fd9166af2_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Y88xEL)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251367

mytmouz
02-19-2019, 07:27 PM
I grill mine to no more than medium, otherwise they tend to be dry. If doing a meatloaf, just top with bacon, no real need to regrind, IMO...

Pig_Farmer
02-19-2019, 07:30 PM
DerHusker, that looks great. Thanks for the link also. Did you use 100% bison?

DerHusker
02-19-2019, 07:35 PM
DerHusker, that looks great. Thanks for the link also. Did you use 100% bison?
Mixed in some diced onion and Blue Cheese crumbles because it's a "Buffalo Buffalo Burger".

ebijack
02-20-2019, 03:44 AM
I made 10 bison/ground brisket meatloafs. 15lbs bison, 12 lbs ground brisket. Brisket for the fat and flavor. Smoked at 250* to IT of 165* Worked great.

Pig_Farmer
02-20-2019, 06:32 AM
I made 10 bison/ground brisket meatloafs. 15lbs bison, 12 lbs ground brisket. Brisket for the fat and flavor. Smoked at 250* to IT of 165* Worked great.

That's a lot of meatloaf. Did thr beef drowned out the taste of the bison.

ebijack
02-20-2019, 12:49 PM
That's a lot of meatloaf. Did thr beef drowned out the taste of the bison.
No, I made those for one of my daughters wedding. There request was to have a "game meat meal".
Since there were going to be lots of kids there also. I went this way instead of pure bison. Those of us who like bison, enjoyed the meatloaf. All the other folks just said it was the best meatloaf they have ever had. And alot of kids liked it also.
You could always change the ratio. I was just guessing with my ratio when I mixed it up.