PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated pizza oven versus webber insert?

FLHX
02-18-2019, 06:26 PM
so i went to a thing yesterday were a friend of mine was testing a dedicated pizza oven that a local bbq retailer wants to sell him to the tune of $3500. the thing was cool and all and easily reached temps over 700 using pecan splits. the pizza was incredible as you may imagine, (my buddy is a chef who owns a popular local restaurant, but this if for his personal use at home). sorry, I forget the name of this particular brand (there was wine)...but wow. i think that's a lot of money for a pizza oven when those ones for the webber can be had for a tenth of that price. Thoughts?

Whisky
02-18-2019, 06:53 PM
I think a dedicated pizza oven is worth it. I have 2, both better then the Kettle Pizza (which I've also owned). However they were only about $300 and $600, not 3500.

Someday I may have a real WFO but it's not on my priority list anytime soon.

Norm
02-18-2019, 07:15 PM
Watch craigslist and facefark market place for a used Blackstone pizza oven also. I never imagined a gas pizza oven turning out a decent pie, for the money they're great!

ShadowDriver
02-18-2019, 07:25 PM
UUNI 3 (recently renamed OONI) Pizza Oven.

About $300-$350. Runs on pellets (or LP gas, if you'd prefer). 800-900F in about 12 minutes.

I've had mine for over a year and I've taken it on a cross-country road trip.

Just a suggestion.

KevinJ
02-18-2019, 07:36 PM
I thought about purchasing a Blackstone Pizza Oven or the Uuni Pizza Oven but I'm maxed out on storage and patio space so I fully weaponized the Kettle to cook Pizza and it does a great job, I throw in a good size pecan stick or two on top of the coals and it taste like a great wood fire pie to me. I use baking steal and usually keep it around 600 degrees because it cooks the crust fast, I also have a SS plate that sits on top of the pizza insert so the radiant heat cooks the top of the pizza and I get an even cook.

For the price of everything it would have been slightly cheaper to buy the other two ovens I mentioned above so there is that but I'm happy.

gtsum
02-18-2019, 07:41 PM
At 3k, it was likely a small wood fired oven. There is no comparison whatsoever between those (and of course the bigger ones) and a Weber kettle insert or blackstone. Especially if cooking neo pies. Great pies can be cooked on the blackstone (and I assume the Weber insert), but a specialty oven (that can also be used to roast, grill and smoke and bake) is the better tool for the job

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Smoke Dawg
02-18-2019, 07:58 PM
I would love a wood fired oven - Maybe some day.

OKRadioGuy
02-18-2019, 08:11 PM
We used to cook pizza in the electric home oven, but now I cook all our pizzas on the gas grill. Use a 16 inch pizza pan and set the pan on three firebricks lying flat. Turn the four burners on high for 10 minutes, into the grill for 10 minutes. Wonderful pizza and so very easy. Crispy crust, browned just right. And did I mention easy. All it takes is your gas grill. Some even cook the pizza directly on the grates. We cook once a week.

FLHX
02-18-2019, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=gtsum;4140079]At 3k, it was likely a small wood fired oven. There is no comparison whatsoever between those (and of course the bigger ones) and a Weber kettle insert or blackstone. Especially if cooking neo pies. Great pies can be cooked on the blackstone (and I assume the Weber insert), but a specialty oven (that can also be used to roast, grill and smoke and bake) is the better tool for the job

yes. this is exactly what it was. and the pizza was neapolitan style. it was really very good if not excellent. the sales guy was talking about baking bread, cassaroles, basically anything you might normally do in the house oven. important for this part of the country during the summer when you want to bake something but don't want to heat up the house with the oven.

Badjak
02-19-2019, 02:04 AM
Would be great to have one, but I wouldn't be able to justify the cost. Not even if I had the money!
Meanwhile, I am very happy with the little uuni

70monte
02-19-2019, 12:14 PM
I have the Uuni 3 and the Kettle Pizza attachment and prefer the Uuni 3. I also have the baking steel for the Kettle Pizza and just can't seem to keep temps high enough as long as I can with the Uuni.

Whisky
02-19-2019, 12:17 PM
If your goal is to make NP style pizzas at home, for the money, nothing is better then this little oven from Italy. For NP style you would want the Saputo biscotto floor upgrade. It's lower conductivity allows you to cook at 900+ degrees for a true NP pizza experience. I just got one recently and have done a couple cooks so far.

oven: $594
Saputo: $66
Shipping to US: $127

Total $787 shipped, give or take.

https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/portable-gas-fired-pizza-ovens-ardore-spacesaving/

It's similar in size to the Roccbox and Ooni oven. However the heat on the side is a little nicer for more even cooking. And the ability to have a handmade Saputo floor makes it a superior oven (for NP style pizzas).

I did have a custom cut California cordierite pizza stone made for it so I can slide that in over the Saputo when I want to make different style pizzas, but I haven't got that far yet. I do wish it was a little bigger so I could do 15-16" pizzas like my Blackstone, but again it was geared more for NP style which are 12" pies.

If NP isn't your end game then the Ooni and Roccbox would be good options too (and they can work for NP also).

JacksBBQ
02-19-2019, 12:37 PM
I've got an Uuni Pro and Ive been really impressed with it. Gets up over 900 degrees pretty fast and its really easy to cook on. All the pizzas Ive cooked have been fantastic.

EricD
02-19-2019, 02:14 PM
I have a Blackstone Pizza Oven. Love it. Yes, it's worth it!
But, I still (occasionally) use the PizzaQue too.

Pulmah Finger
02-19-2019, 04:06 PM
I bought a Sole over under pizza oven/smoker (I dont think they import it anymore). Great for baking/making pie, horrible at smoking temp control is very temperamental. I am looking at the Uuni Pro as a replacement due to footprint and it looks portable so have dough will travel.

Ive done pie on a stone in oven, weber, gas grill...its just not the same as a wood fired oven.

Kind of like Domino's...its good but it aint pizza.

The Wookiee
02-19-2019, 05:38 PM
Another vote for uuni/ooni.... I have the pro and love it love it love it.

Whisky
02-19-2019, 08:13 PM
Looks like Ooni is coming out with a new oven soon. Teaser pic. Definitely something to keep an eye on. Looks like a nice bigger burner and updated exterior.

http://discover.ooni.com/coming-soon/

Zak
02-20-2019, 07:59 AM
I've tried most of the ways to make pizzas: oven, grill, BS pizza oven, and a pizza oven insert for a weber. There are pluses and minus to each way of cooking but i found that if i want a pizza, i'll cook it over charcoal and wood on the weber to get as close to a wood fired pizza as possible.

jsperk
02-20-2019, 01:34 PM
I love my black stone. Bummed they don't make them any more. Hope they get a new version out.

I would like to find another propane oven that makes 15 to 16 inch pies.