PDA

View Full Version : Why I no longer order from SRF

eap0510
02-10-2019, 08:12 AM
A while back I had ordered 8 gold briskets from SRF in the group 14-16 lbs. When the briskets arrived the heaviest one I had was a little over 15.5 lbs with most weighing under 15 lbs. Most of the flats are like the one below which I trimmed up this morning. As you can see it is extremely small and slants horribly to one side. The marbling in them was not bad but I was not impressed with it for I felt that it had about the same as their black label brand.

Then I heard about The Butcher Shoppe in Pensacola selling A9 briskets. What a difference the two companies are when compared to each other. When order from The Butcher Shoppe they go through each brisket that they have and match the best that they can to your specifications. They will send you photos of the brisket that they picked out to you so that you can confirm that it is exactly what you are looking for. Since order from them I will never go back to SRF.

Here a 14.68 brisket that I trimmed up this morning from SRF
https://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o564/eputnam1/Mobile%20Uploads/20190210_073702_zpsfm5qsu3d.jpg
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o564/eputnam1/Mobile%20Uploads/20190210_073731_zpsymdtgmdm.jpg

Now in comparison here is a 17lb from The Butcher Shoppe that I just order for a contest I am doing the first weekend in March.
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o564/eputnam1/Mobile%20Uploads/i00000111_zpsri4wvl7k.jpg

https://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o564/eputnam1/Mobile%20Uploads/i0000010_zps2waajejq.jpg

Anyone notice a difference?

pjtexas1
02-10-2019, 08:46 AM
I know which one i would take home if they were side by side in the grocery store. Did you call SRF?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Peteg
02-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Do they not have a website? All I se is a Facebook page.

cpw
02-10-2019, 09:42 AM

Send them a Facebook message or give them a call. He’s very responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Adams
02-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Curious on that beautiful thick flat brisket. What is the cost per pound shipping etc?

Ron_L
02-10-2019, 09:50 AM
I’ve never had an issue with SRF except one brisket that had a gash in the flat, and they took care of that without question!

I ordered from The Butcher Shoppe last year based on a recommendation and the briskets were great, but shipping was a killer! I wish they had better shipping rates.

Jousting Pigs
02-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Whats the price for the A9s?

I've never had any issues when ordering from SRF, that being said I now get my briskets from a local butcher. I see briskets everywhere, not just SRF, that have thin tapered flats.

RacrX
02-10-2019, 10:13 AM
Never ordered brisket from SRF, but their Kurabota pork is deelish.

patrickd26
02-10-2019, 10:57 AM
The last one I ordered from SRF for a competition was disappointing. I swear the flat was no thicker than 1/2 an inch. I guess I blamed myself for not ordering a larger one. Interesting observation, though....

eap0510
02-10-2019, 11:04 AM
I know which one i would take home if they were side by side in the grocery store. Did you call SRF?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I did not complain so I have no one to blame but myself in that regards. I have however heard of people trying to send their brisket back for the extremely small tapered flat and had a heck of a time getting SRF to stand behind their product

eap0510
02-10-2019, 11:05 AM

Call them and ask to speak with Jordan. He is very responsive and will ensure that you get what you are looking for.

eap0510
02-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Curious on that beautiful thick flat brisket. What is the cost per pound shipping etc?

I have not gotten a final price on that brisket but their briskets run 10.99 per lbs. Once I get my finial price I will let you all know the break down.

16Adams
02-10-2019, 11:27 AM
I have not gotten a final price on that brisket but their briskets run 10.99 per lbs. Once I get my finial price I will let you all know the break down.

Cool thanks. I live in the heart of cattle country so hand selection is usually not an issue. But that thing is beautiful.

jermoQ
02-10-2019, 01:05 PM
I've got no beef with SRF, nor have I ever had any of their beef, but that is the really nice part about local shopping--you get to put your hands on things.

Rockinar
02-10-2019, 01:22 PM
I've never seen the big issue with thin flats. They will puff up during cooking. And if you're doing comps the slices are not going to come from the tip of the flat anyways.

I only started hearing peopler complaining about thin flats when Aaaron Franklin mentioned it in a video. Same with cooking briskets to 205.

And doesn't Harry Soo win word Championships with brisket from Restaurant Depot?

Pappy Q
02-10-2019, 02:38 PM
I've never seen the big issue with thin flats. They will puff up during cooking. And if you're doing comps the slices are not going to come from the tip of the flat anyways.

I only started hearing peopler complaining about thin flats when Aaaron Franklin mentioned it in a video. Same with cooking briskets to 205.

And doesn't Harry Soo win word Championships with brisket from Restaurant Depot?

Which World Championship has he won?

jdtTX
02-10-2019, 04:07 PM

theyre absolutely thinner than they used to be.

Joshw
02-10-2019, 04:21 PM
The funny thing about cattle, is they don't muscle out or marble the same. Even if you take 2 from the same herd and genetics, they are going to be different. So to take one brisket from one place, and compare it to, one brisket from another, is kind of silly.

I'm sure both places are selling 100's of briskets a day, and they aren't throwing out the ones with thinner flats. So If you look around, you will probably find someone unhappy with both places.

Rockinar
02-10-2019, 04:26 PM

OK, maybe not WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. But a seriously respectable resume with 27 Grand Championship is not something to sneeze at.

eap0510
02-10-2019, 07:03 PM
The funny thing about cattle, is they don't muscle out or marble the same. Even if you take 2 from the same herd and genetics, they are going to be different. So to take one brisket from one place, and compare it to, one brisket from another, is kind of silly.

I'm sure both places are selling 100's of briskets a day, and they aren't throwing out the ones with thinner flats. So If you look around, you will probably find someone unhappy with both places.

I am sure you are correct in that you can find someone not happy with both places. For me personally both companies are well known for supply competition teams with briskets so one would assume that you would get the cream of the crop from them. Unfortunately form my personal experience SRF appears to be lacking in receiving cream of the crop briskets.

Av8er
02-10-2019, 07:05 PM
Good info considering I am real close to the butcher shoppe. Thanks!

eap0510
02-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Good info considering I am real close to the butcher shoppe. Thanks!

I am so jealous. I am about 8 hours away here in Atlanta.

Av8er
02-10-2019, 07:20 PM
I’m only about 1 hour and it’s a good excuse for a motorcycle ride.

jdtTX
02-10-2019, 07:49 PM

but when its a widespread thing, there's something systemic. i'd expect it from SRF given how much their volume seems to have increased with supplying massive amounts of beef across the US.

Joshw
02-10-2019, 08:16 PM
but when its a widespread thing, there's something systemic. i'd expect it from SRF given how much their volume seems to have increased with supplying massive amounts of beef across the US.

True, but calling SRF out, after getting one brisket from another company, that he liked better, seems a little pre-mature. First he is comparing an 18lb brisket to a 15 pound brisket. The 18 lb brisket almost certainly came from an older steer, that had more time to put on muscle. Here is a pic posted from Jason TQ of a butcher shoppe brisket. Notice anything about the flat? They very well might be better, but I would need to see more proof, before I trash talk them.

Kaptain Kadian
02-10-2019, 09:42 PM
Harry soo cooks srf briskets in comps. I have bought 2 gold grade briskets from srf. The first one I got was terrible, really thin flat and it had a divot taken out of if. I posted a thread about it here. They did replace it, but they really didn't want to. The replacement was slightly better and a little thicker. I did take home 4th place out of 80 at a comp with it though. I have actually had thicker flats on the black grades. I think they set really high expectations when you put on their website about being cut by master butchers and such and then they look worse than a Costco prime. Taste really good though

midwest_kc
02-11-2019, 09:26 AM
I've never had an issue with their briskets. Did have a ribeye that had a massive gash (almost cut in half) and I sent them an email with a pic A) Letting them know and B)stating that I still cooked/ate it and it was delicious and I didn't expect any compensation. The next day they sent me a new one anyways.

I love SRF...am intrigued by Butcher Shoppe, though. They certainly have a great reputation. For now, we're cooking our SRF Blacks.

Right on Q
02-11-2019, 10:27 AM

He may be referring to Harry's Rancher's Reserve Brisket Challenge win in 2010. Not a world championship but very respectable

No comment on what brisket he uses as I don't know

jdtTX
02-11-2019, 12:33 PM
True, but calling SRF out, after getting one brisket from another company, that he liked better, seems a little pre-mature. First he is comparing an 18lb brisket to a 15 pound brisket. The 18 lb brisket almost certainly came from an older steer, that had more time to put on muscle. Here is a pic posted from Jason TQ of a butcher shoppe brisket. Notice anything about the flat? They very well might be better, but I would need to see more proof, before I trash talk them.

yeah, it was an odd call out since each brisket is unique. i was responding more to the quoted post, though, and absolutely would expect SRF quality to dip with the quantity they're putting out now at the prices they're moving it for.

Joshw
02-11-2019, 12:51 PM
yeah, it was an odd call out since each brisket is unique. i was responding more to the quoted post, though, and absolutely would expect SRF quality to dip with the quantity they're putting out now at the prices they're moving it for.

The perfect brisket is an anomaly, not the norm. Just try going to the store and finding a perfect one. I understand when you pay $200 for a brisket, it comes with certain expectations, but if those expectations are perfection, you will be disappointed more times than not.

Burnt at Both Endz
02-11-2019, 06:35 PM
It's always good to be able to find a place that you can get "hand picked" protein, but I learned a long time ago, you better not burn bridges because it's a long BBQ season.

eap0510
02-12-2019, 05:52 AM

Just to update everyone I ended up paying $40 for shipping for the 17.5 lb brisket from Pensacola to the Atlanta area.

lantern
02-12-2019, 06:22 AM
I figured this thread would go this way. Saying something somewhat negative about certain companies on this board is like doing the same against a gun company on a gun board. LOL!

I've had similar experiences with SRF and they have done VERY well to make things right. While I hold customer service in high regard I do have to take note when it has to be used so frequently at this supposed level of quality.

16Adams
02-12-2019, 07:00 AM
Just to update everyone I ended up paying $40 for shipping for the 17.5 lb brisket from Pensacola to the Atlanta area.

Y’all playing a different BBQ game at a different level. I think it’s cool the Brethren are willing to pay total $13#, I really do. I promise I am not a cheap person, more like frugal. Cheap affects other people around you, frugality is like a background app.

Anyway we have a store that about every other month runs usda choice at 1.88#
Literally 100’s to pick from.

I’m learning however. I’ve pushed aside and walked away from many brisket with a thin tapered flat. I’ve never heard they plump up. I’ve got to know. ;-)

Your one beautiful brisket is nearly my yearly spend in brisket.

Smoke On brothers, once again my chosen hobbies are escalating in cost.

That is one hauntingly beautiful brisket.

Burnt at Both Endz
02-12-2019, 07:28 AM
…………...

I’m learning however. I’ve pushed aside and walked away from many brisket with a thin tapered flat. I’ve never heard they plump up. I’ve got to know. ;-)

………..

Some of the Jambo cooks will start them out real hot and then let the cooker settle down some. I don't know if it's the juices or air, but they will plump up quite nicely.

smoke ninja
02-12-2019, 07:31 AM
I figured this thread would go this way. Saying something somewhat negative about certain companies on this board is like doing the same against a gun company on a gun board. LOL!

I've had similar experiences with SRF and they have done VERY well to make things right. While I hold customer service in high regard I do have to take note when it has to be used so frequently at this supposed level of quality.

Online meat isn't really my thing. Still I've dealt with them a few times and will probably do so again in the future. I believe in business it's more about how you handle problems then that they happen. Not everyone can be made happen. Nor do they all want do be. Some folks are just miserable.

I'm I understanding that most of these briskets are for competition? If so I wouldn't be so worried about a thin tail on the flat. I want a good middle and enough point for ends, even poor grain direction can be manipulated. It would kill me more as a home cook from a value stand point but there should be more than enough to fill a box

16Adams
02-12-2019, 07:34 AM
Some of the Jambo cooks will start them out real hot and then let the cooker settle down some. I don't know if it's the juices or air, but they will plump up quite nicely.

Kicking myself. I’ve seen a lot of great points attached to tapered flats. 9/10 times I chop/chunk and mix it all up anyway. Dang

Burnt at Both Endz
02-12-2019, 07:39 AM
Kicking myself. I’ve seen a lot of great points attached to tapered flats. 9/10 times I chop/chunk and mix it all up anyway. Dang

Like Ninja said, most comp cooks will trim out over half of the brisket, heck time I took left overs home I would have about 5#s out of a 18# packer.:laugh:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/537/nM5GTV.jpg

16Adams
02-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Damn- that is aggressive :grin:

Burnt at Both Endz
02-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Yes sir, but I do have the best hamburgers on the block.:-D

sliding_billy
02-12-2019, 10:07 AM

...and chili I'm guessing. :laugh:

smoke ninja
02-12-2019, 10:08 AM

unless I'm cooking for a crowd and need all the meat possible I trim anything that I dont like. I grind it and have a burger as a pitmaster snack, maybe meatloaf. if it ain't gonna be good bbq brisket it goes for something else

SmoothBoarBBQ
02-12-2019, 12:18 PM
My experience with SRF has been kind of "hit and miss." I took advantage of one of their sales last year and picked up a couple racks of ribs. Unfortunately the ribs I got had no meat on them at all...according to most of the Brethren I should have just been happy buying $20 racks of ribs with no meat on them. To each their own I guess. haha

But their Black-grade wagyu briskets have been pretty good in my experience. I didn't cook the first one properly and that was totally my fault. The brisket was beautiful though and a massive upgrade in marbling from the Costco Primes I had been cooking. I did Sterling Ball's event a few months ago in Virginia where the entry fee included all the meat, and it came with a Black-grade wagyu. That brisket was also beautiful and came out very good...I ended up taking 14th place in brisket and I was very happy with that considering it was my 4th comp and the level of competition was extremely high.

I probably would never buy ribs there again, but I'm pretty content with the wagyu briskets.

smoke ninja
02-12-2019, 12:34 PM
My experience with SRF has been kind of "hit and miss." I took advantage of one of their sales last year and picked up a couple racks of ribs. Unfortunately the ribs I got had no meat on them at all...according to most of the Brethren I should have just been happy buying $20 racks of ribs with no meat on them. To each their own I guess. haha

But their Black-grade wagyu briskets have been pretty good in my experience. I didn't cook the first one properly and that was totally my fault. The brisket was beautiful though and a massive upgrade in marbling from the Costco Primes I had been cooking. I did Sterling Ball's event a few months ago in Virginia where the entry fee included all the meat, and it came with a Black-grade wagyu. That brisket was also beautiful and came out very good...I ended up taking 14th place in brisket and I was very happy with that considering it was my 4th comp and the level of competition was extremely high.

I probably would never buy ribs there again, but I'm pretty content with the wagyu briskets.

what ribs did you purchase?

I recently order st loius cut Berkshire pork ribs. about $18 a rack. I'm impressed with how meaty these are. first rack cooked up nice. about 2x what I pay for commodity pork but a nice treat.

http://i.imgur.com/zK66bNoh.jpg (http://imgur.com/zK66bNo)

http://i.imgur.com/eFZ0amjh.jpg (http://imgur.com/eFZ0amj)

SmoothBoarBBQ
02-12-2019, 12:56 PM
what ribs did you purchase?

I recently order st loius cut Berkshire pork ribs. about $18 a rack. I'm impressed with how meaty these are. first rack cooked up nice. about 2x what I pay for commodity pork but a nice treat.

http://i.imgur.com/zK66bNoh.jpg (http://imgur.com/zK66bNo)

http://i.imgur.com/eFZ0amjh.jpg (http://imgur.com/eFZ0amj)

Same ribs, but it was a 50% off sale, so maybe they were just getting rid of all the stuff they didn't want to sell at full price. I made a thread about it here :

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256702

I cooked them up using my normal recipe but there was just no meat at all on those bones. For all intents and purposes I was seriously cooking rib bones rather than ribs.

lantern
02-12-2019, 02:10 PM
Online meat isn't really my thing. Still I've dealt with them a few times and will probably do so again in the future. I believe in business it's more about how you handle problems then that they happen. Not everyone can be made happen. Nor do they all want do be. Some folks are just miserable.

I'm I understanding that most of these briskets are for competition? If so I wouldn't be so worried about a thin tail on the flat. I want a good middle and enough point for ends, even poor grain direction can be manipulated. It would kill me more as a home cook from a value stand point but there should be more than enough to fill a box

I'm guessing the competition comment is in regard to the OP and not my comments as I am more home cook than comp cook for sure.

IMO, if you are too far away from artisanal farms or just a local farm the very best things to buy from SRF are the berkie pork in what are traditionally referred to as "dry" cuts. Things like pork loin and such. A massive difference there. Blow your mind type differences. When we get into butts, briskets and ribs the differences shrink, they are there, but a question of price/performance comes into play. This may be a driving force to the rather high complaint ratio besides the obvious online blind buying.

smoke ninja
02-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Same ribs, but it was a 50% off sale, so maybe they were just getting rid of all the stuff they didn't want to sell at full price. I made a thread about it here :

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256702

I cooked them up using my normal recipe but there was just no meat at all on those bones. For all intents and purposes I was seriously cooking rib bones rather than ribs.

did you get the kurobuto? I got the Berkshire and they are not thin. I'd have to look but I think they were over 3 lbs

i get some heritage ribs from a local specialty market. 10 bucks for about 8 bones of shiners. some of the best pork I've had. not a value but so good.

mkf350
02-12-2019, 02:54 PM
looks awesome!

SmoothBoarBBQ
02-12-2019, 02:55 PM
did you get the kurobuto? I got the Berkshire and they are not thin. I'd have to look but I think they were over 3 lbs

i get some heritage ribs from a local specialty market. 10 bucks for about 8 bones of shiners. some of the best pork I've had. not a value but so good.

You are correct, they were Kurobuta. Again, I wasn't expecting massive ribs or anything, but there was just nothing on those bones at all. I didn't even care that I got shiners, but there no meat on the tops or sides of the bones...just nothing at all.

Apparently Kurobota and Berkshire are essentially the same breed, with Kurobota being the highest quality of Berkshire.

http://www.heritagepork.com/berkshire_history

"Kurobuta are 100% Berkshire, but not all 100% Berkshire can be qualified as Kurobuta. Kurobuta Pork is the best of the best from 100% Berkshire Pork. We select only from the 100% Berkshire hogs certified by Heritage Berkshire Program. When the quality meets our high standards, it then may be called "Kurobuta Pork."

KevinJ
02-12-2019, 03:03 PM

i get some heritage ribs from a local specialty market. 10 bucks for about 8 bones of shiners. some of the best pork I've had. not a value but so good.I'm lucky I live less than 3mi from the newest Butcher Shoppe location, they carry Duroc STL's for $3.99 a pound, racks usually weigh just under 3lb, they're all I ever buy anymore.

https://i.imgur.com/tuvpZTp.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/g4EJo2Z.jpg?2

eap0510
02-13-2019, 05:27 AM
I'm lucky I live less than 3mi from the newest Butcher Shoppe location, they carry Duroc STL's for $3.99 a pound, racks usually weigh just under 3lb, they're all I ever buy anymore.

https://i.imgur.com/tuvpZTp.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/g4EJo2Z.jpg?2

That is some really nice marbling on those racks.

srfannella
02-14-2019, 03:41 PM
I've been following this thread for a couple of days now to see what direction it was going prior to just jumping in. Buckle in… it’s kind of long, but there are a few things I’d like to address.

- We do sort and sell based on size ranges. We have done our best with regard to feedback to narrow these ranges down to the best of our abilities. If ever a customer receives a brisket that does not fall within the range they purchased, we are always more than happy to make that right.
- Animals are all different. Each animal is different. Comparing a 14 lb brisket and an 18 lb brisket is literally comparing two different animals. I've seen a lot of briskets in my time (I'd wager to say a lot more than most) and to be honest even looking at a split brisket off of the same carcass can show a difference.

- I've seen everything from 12 lb briskets to monster briskets that weigh over 30 lbs that have huge flats, however, I've seen the reverse too. Some will taper out, some will be thinner, some will be thicker. Some will have a more pronounced marbling than others. Remember, in the US Cattle are graded on the Ribeye, this is much different than the brisket, thus you will see more variance in the marbling of a brisket than you would a ribeye or a strip.

- Just as each animal is different, each cook is different. There is a lot that goes into the final brisket box before it makes it to the judges. We’ve seen many a brisket in a cryovac bag that gets an initial complaint and then goes on to score perfectly (literally perfectly). We’ve seen thin flats and briskets with cuts in them that have gone on win world championships. We have teams that LOVE 14-16 pound briskets and teams that swear they have to have a 20+ to make it work. It’s different for everyone.

- Our customer service has never changed. We support our products and will always stand behind what we sell. We can be reached at our customer care line, via email, on Facebook. Many MANY people reach out to me personally via facebook, here in the forum, on Instagram, snapchat and yes, even via phone late on a on a Friday night or very early on a Saturday morning of a contest wanting to talk about the brisket they’re getting ready to compete with. Just last week we had a customer that couldn’t get his delivery because of the weather. We arranged to have another team attending the same contest thaw out a brisket and deliver to him (this is not the first time we’ve made arrangements like this).

I guarantee we are here for you to support and make things the best we can for all teams. While we may ask for photos or more information, it’s a process. We take each report under review and consideration and work to make sure the customer is getting what they ordered, as advertised, and it’s the best quality product we can deliver.

-SRF is committed to providing the highest quality most consistent products and service in the market. We will always look for your help and feedback to make that better. We don’t just say we have the winningest brisket in BBQ, we stand behind it. But whether you’re cooking for a world championship, grand championship, perfect brisket, backyard competition or just for your brother’s birthday; we always want you to be happy and confident with what you’re cooking. I personally have spoken to more bbq teams than a lot. I’ve heard the raves as well as the rants and at the end of the day I’ve always said, find what works best for you, get in your groove and cook your cook. It’s the single best way to make things happen, and if we get to play a small part in your success, we’re proud to do so! We are proud of the relationships and partnerships we’ve fostered over the years (the brethren being among them) and we look forward to many more successful years of support and participation the big world of BBQ!

RacrX
02-14-2019, 06:23 PM
Hey Annella, when are those Kurobuta ribs going on sale???

ssv3
02-14-2019, 07:43 PM
I just don't get the whole thin flat thing. I know I'm not comp guy but you have a couple (at least) brisket to work with and you have to turn in x amount of slices. You can't tell me that you won't be able to "salvage" a box of turn ins out of those briskets. You shouldn't compete then.

I'm not a comp guy but hands down the best Wagyu brisket I've had is an SRF Gold. When I say best I meant best. I've cooked up plenty of other brand Wagyu's and none come close.

This is straight backyard BBQ. SRF Gold

http://i.imgur.com/Zggvzp6h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QokMN9Dh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/m3AXVONh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QSqXDb7h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mTbxZe9h.jpg

srfannella
02-14-2019, 08:38 PM
Hey Annella, when are those Kurobuta ribs going on sale???

Best way to stay in the loop is sign up for emails. We send out new promos every Monday! I know there was some talk that I didn't address with regard to the ribs being small. They are Berkshires so thus much smaller. We don't suggest using them for comp but the Berkshire pork is amazingly delicious. If you ever have a problem with underweight or out of spec ribs, we are always happy to look at them.

srfannella
02-14-2019, 08:40 PM
I just don't get the whole thin flat thing. I know I'm not comp guy but you have a couple (at least) brisket to work with and you have to turn in x amount of slices. You can't tell me that you won't be able to "salvage" a box of turn ins out of those briskets. You shouldn't compete then.

I'm not a comp guy but hands down the best Wagyu brisket I've had is an SRF Gold. When I say best I meant best. I've cooked up plenty of other brand Wagyu's and none come close.

Looks amazing to me! Thanks for sharing!!

SmoothBoarBBQ
02-15-2019, 04:19 AM

I only compete occasionally, but when it comes to $250 briskets (ie SRF gold 18-20Lbs), how many of those do you think a normal comp team is going to buy per contest? If you buy 1 of those you'll need a top 5 placing in brisket (or better) just to break even. If you buy 2 of those you'll need to take 1st place or you're losing money...and even at 1st place some contests aren't paying out much per category so you're still losing money.

So when it comes to spending ~$250 on a brisket you want that 1 brisket to be as perfect as possible. This means a thick flat to give you a larger selection from which to pull your slices. Larger slices also look much better in the turn-in box than smaller slices, and since they are larger they hold heat better. This means when it FINALLY gets to the judges it has a better chance at still being hot and retaining moisture.

The cost of competing is pretty substantial...I generally budget $800-1000 per contest. This covers the cost of travel, entry fee, meat, and supplies (ie rubs, sauces, injections, gloves, foil, etc). Mind you I'm not buying Wagyu...I tend to actually score quite a bit better in brisket when I turn-in CAB Choice (Superior Angus from Restaurant Depot). I cook those 2-3 days a week for my catering / vending business so I'm really familiar with that meat and know exactly when to pull it off the cooker. Wagyu is quite different in the way it cooks and especially in the way it finishes, so it's tough to practice on such an expensive piece of meat.

BillyVoltaire
02-15-2019, 08:18 AM
I'm lucky I live less than 3mi from the newest Butcher Shoppe location, they carry Duroc STL's for $3.99 a pound, racks usually weigh just under 3lb, they're all I ever buy anymore.

KevinJ, have you tried the Allegience ribs? Interested to hear how those look/taste?

Thanks,

BV

THoey1963
02-17-2019, 05:02 PM
I've not purchased an SRF brisket yet. I've looked a lot of times, and one day I'll do it for a special event. I have quite a variety available locally, and I still like the idea of sorting through a bin full of briskets and picking out the one or two that matches my desires for a hunk of meat.

I have ordered some steaks from them a couple years back. As far as SRF's customer service, to me, they are top notch. I had one vacuum pack that somehow got a pinhole puncture. Never could see where the hole was, and the plastic stayed sealed to the meat while frozen. I only noticed it when I went to thaw it. One quick email and they had another steak in the mail the very next day.

Sorry you felt you had a problem with them. I don't order meat online often, but SRF would be my first source if I wanted to do it again.