PDA

View Full Version : Traeger quality gone down hill?

SergeantSmoke
02-02-2019, 09:00 PM
I would like to start off by saying that I am not creating this post to bash traeger or the people who own them. I am honestly wondering what has happened or is going on with this companies products.

About 3 years ago I started kicking around the idea of getting a dedicated smoker instead dealing with my kettle. After some research (mostly amazon reviews) and talking to some friends and family I narrowed it down to either a PBC or a Treager JR. The PBC won out because I like the taste charcoal gives and I wanted portability, the $120 difference was also a factor. Quality or lack thereof put the nail in the coffin though.

Additionally while I was eyeballing the Treager they showed up at my local Costco which gave me a chance to physically look at them. Dealing with the salesman wasn't fun as I just wanted to look and not be pressured. Walking out I noticed a guy returning a JR and I asked him what was wrong with it and how long did it last. His reply was that it no longer held steady temps and lasted barely a year. The very next weekend I stopped to talk to another person returning a JR with the same problem except his lasted 6 months. At this point I was getting turned off.

I then talked to my wife's uncle who had a JR for roughly 3 years at this point and he told me his was having the exact same issue and was seriously on the fence about getting anothet. That was it for me and PBC got the call after my wife made me buy it to shut me up. Noah being fellow vet also helped.

Fast forward to just the other day and a family member buys a Treager Select Elite and proceeds to make a brisket. Not only was this 15lb piece of meat destroyed but I sat outside drinking a beer and socializing while watching this $1300 piece of equipment swing + or - 25° from its setpoint and sometimes higher! I could not believe what the temp readout was showing. The target temp was 250 and on multiple occasions I watched the readout swing up and down like a sign wave. It would ramp up to 275ish then cool all the way down to 225 then sit there to again ramp back up well past 250. Twice I watched it hit almost 300! The swings we very fast on the way up as well. I never once saw it hold anywhere near the set point and was always passing over it never really stopping.

Now I am not saying the the swinging alone destroyed the meat as the person manning this beast has minimal experience but good God. Is this in any way acceptable? My pbc never swings like that and this thing cost 4 times as much.

So seriously what happened to this company?

sudsandswine
02-02-2019, 09:14 PM
Ive cooked some seriously good food on a smoker that has 30 to 50 degrees temp swings depending on my level of inattentiveness, so if the food wasnt good I doubt it had much to do with temp swings.

SergeantSmoke
02-02-2019, 09:19 PM
Ive cooked some seriously good food on a smoker that has 30 to 50 degrees temp swings depending on my level of inattentiveness, so if the food wasnt good I doubt it had much to do with temp swings.

I understand that but consider the rest of what I said. Do you honestly think a $1300 pellet smoker should swing like that, I don't think that is acceptable. Also consider the failures I listed. To me this Elite is already showing the early signs of failure.

When my wife's uncles JR failed it would swing nearly 100 degrees and would sit at both ends hot and cold never staying at the set point. He couldn't rely on it to turn anything out that was decent.

sudsandswine
02-02-2019, 09:33 PM
I wasnt commenting on the cooker, only the food. Should a pellet grill swing like that? Probably not. Are the temp swings the reason the meat was "destroyed"? Probably not.

Cabin Fever
02-02-2019, 09:46 PM
I can't speak to their Elite model, but I had the chance to check out a Traeger Jr. at Home Depot a few days ago and there's no way in hell I'd pay $350 for that thing. To say the lid was light and paper thin would be an understatement. I picked up a Pit Boss Tailgater for $150 at Wal-Mart back in November and I don't have any complaints other than the tiny 5 pound hopper. Temp swings range + or - 25, but that's expected out of an entry level pellet pooper.

The lid (and overall unit itself) has a lot of weight to it and it's built much better than you would think it would be for the price. I know a lot of people look down their noses at the Pit Boss line, but honestly I'd go with them over Traeger any day of the week if I was looking for an entry level pooper. That's just my 2 cents. BTW, my dream pellet cooker is a Mak 1-Star. Those things are built like a damn juggernaut. :hail:

SergeantSmoke
02-02-2019, 10:12 PM
I can't speak to their Elite model, but I had the chance to check out a Traeger Jr. at Home Depot a few days ago and there's no way in hell I'd pay $350 for that thing. To say the lid was light and paper thin would be an understatement. I picked up a Pit Boss Tailgater for $150 at Wal-Mart back in November and I don't have any complaints other than the tiny 5 pound hopper. Temp swings range + or - 25, but that's expected out of an entry level pellet pooper.

The lid (and overall unit itself) has a lot of weight to it and it's built much better than you would think it would be for the price. I know a lot of people look down their noses at the Pit Boss line, but honestly I'd go with them over Traeger any day of the week if I was looking for an entry level pooper. That's just my 2 cents. BTW, my dream pellet cooker is a Mak 1-Star. Those things are built like a damn juggernaut. :hail:

Never heard them called pellet poopers before :laugh:

I agree that a swing like that would be acceptable on an entry level unit like the one you have but on a $1300 unit it's BS.

rwalters
02-02-2019, 10:39 PM
As a simple backyard dude that’s been cooking with pellet poopers for awhile now, I will just say that a small swing in temps, and I consider small to be =>25° is acceptable. Over a long cook your ‘average’ temp will be close to the set temp. With pellet smokers it’s the swings that create the smoke. It’s just how they work. Bigger swings equal more smoke. At the end of a long cook that brisket has no idea nor does it care if the swings were 5° or 25°... lol.

jermoQ
02-02-2019, 11:35 PM
I am waaaaay far off from being a technical expert but I think that because of the way that a lot of grills are set up to feed pellets and control the temps, they cant avoid the swings. I would say that IMnotalwaysHO, the only part of cooking that is affected by the temp swings is the time you expect it to cook. Not quality.

SergeantSmoke
02-03-2019, 12:09 AM
As a simple backyard dude that’s been cooking with pellet poopers for awhile now, I will just say that a small swing in temps, and I consider small to be =>25° is acceptable. Over a long cook your ‘average’ temp will be close to the set temp. With pellet smokers it’s the swings that create the smoke. It’s just how they work. Bigger swings equal more smoke. At the end of a long cook that brisket has no idea nor does it care if the swings were 5° or 25°... lol.

I respectfully disagree, you can lol all you want. If you saw how fast the temps shot up past the setpoint and how long the unit stayed below temp there is absolutely NO way the average temp was anywhere near the setpoint. I also think you should go back and read the part where I stated the unit almost hit 300°. That's a swing of nearly 50° and I don't see how anyone can claim that is acceptable especially from a $1300 unit.

SergeantSmoke
02-03-2019, 12:20 AM
I am waaaaay far off from being a technical expert but I think that because of the way that a lot of grills are set up to feed pellets and control the temps, they cant avoid the swings. I would say that IMnotalwaysHO, the only part of cooking that is affected by the temp swings is the time you expect it to cook. Not quality.

While I understand that temp swings have an affect on cook time I think when you factor in that the temp across the cooking area of a pit are almost never perfectly even I think it can have and affect on quality.

Think about it we've all seen videos or witnessed by our own temployees probes differences in pit temp from one place on a grate to another. The lower areas are going to be even lower when the temp drops and higher spots will be higher when it spikes. Unless you really know your pit I argue that the swings I saw would have some affect on quality.

Joshw
02-03-2019, 12:25 AM
If you have a non pid controller, you should expect a temp swing. If they aren't too big, and don't last long, they aren't a problem. Sounds like Traeger has a programming issue. You should contact tech support. Maybe, they can upgrade the software. The question is, why you would pay $1300 for a Traeger? At that price, you are in range, of some really good cookers.

SergeantSmoke
02-03-2019, 12:59 AM
If you have a non pid controller, you should expect a temp swing. If they aren't too big, and don't last long, they aren't a problem. Sounds like Traeger has a programming issue. You should contact tech support. Maybe, they can upgrade the software. The question is, why you would pay $1300 for a Traeger? At that price, you are in range, of some really good cookers.

That's what I was trying to convey the swings were constant and severe. I especially didn't like how long it sat below the setpoint and then would way over shoot. I agree something isn't right.

Why someone would spend $1300 on a Traeger I have no idea and agree one could make a far better choice in a smoker. Even if I had that kind of money to spend I would rather have multiple lower cost units like a pbc or wsm or a quality stick burner.

ssv3
02-03-2019, 01:27 AM
I wasnt commenting on the cooker, only the food. Should a pellet grill swing like that? Probably not. Are the temp swings the reason the meat was "destroyed"? Probably not.

I wholeheartedly agree with these guys. My new to me Yoder YS 640 will have some wild temp swings randomly here and there but over the course of the cook it's a non issue. Never and I mean never have I had nothing short of excellence from my pellet pooper. :becky:

https://i.imgur.com/EM1AEvH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8cEqaTxh.jpg

[URL="https://i.imgur.com/5OZaRNvh.jpg

Titch
02-03-2019, 01:33 AM
Out of interest, where was the pits temperature swings measured from?
my ex Green Mountain Grill showed wild temp changes, but using a Maverick?I think, slowed it all down.
Just asking

16Adams
02-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Thermapen Super Fast Black

Only temperature gauge needed.

Measure Meat Not Air

Rusty Kettle
02-03-2019, 07:28 AM
Call Traeger customer service. I am assuming you have not called them. They will help you get it straightened out. I know the jr elite had a p-setting you can adjust. Probably that $1300 unit has a way to make adjustments as well. They can walk you through it.
Traeger makes a great product. I only sold mine to get my 270. I plan to get another one in the near future.
There is a learning curve with a Traeger. Not a big one but still a small learning curve. When I had one I was on the phone with customer service day one. I got zero smoke flavor and was mad. They walked me through it and helped me get the results I wanted. Easily on par with all my other smokers once I understood how to use it. It literally took customer service about 5 minutes to explain it and help me get up and running.
So make a call to customer service and maybe they can help before you knock them. Now if you still have a problem with them then go ahead and knock them. Give them a chance to help. You might be surprised how good they are. Imo they are on par with Weber.

Rusty Kettle
02-03-2019, 07:35 AM
https://youtu.be/WvjTnGRrrkQ

Here you go they have a video now about adjusting the p-setting and why. This should help

Rusty Kettle
02-03-2019, 07:56 AM
Apparently the newer controller doesnt have the p setting button that I can see. It may be in a differsnt spot So call customer service. It should be at plus or minus 15 degrees. With the pro controller. They will fix them up.

BKING!
02-03-2019, 08:10 AM
For $1300 I’d expect tighter temps. With that said the swings didn’t ruin the cook. The outside of the meat cooks with radiant heat (heat radiating off the deflectors and walls), convective (hot air circulation from the fans), and conductive heat (heat from the grates).

The inside of the meat however cooks exclusively with conductive heat. The hot surface of the meat literally transmits heat to the inside of the meat. This is a very gradual process and rate of heating is based on an AVERAGE pit temperature.

If temp swings ruined cooks no one would use an offset at bbq competitions

gtsum
02-03-2019, 08:19 AM
If temp swings ruined cooks no one would use an offset at bbq competitions

This

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dweverett
02-03-2019, 08:32 AM
It sounds like something is wrong with his grill. Might be a problem with the fan if I was to make a guess.

I don’t know if their quality has deteriorated or not. It wouldn’t surprise me if it has as they’ve expanded their distribution channel and number of models in their lineup.

My problem with Traeger has always been the “bang for the buck”. You can get something better like a Rectec for the same money or get similar quality with something like a Pit Boss for substantially less.

smoke ninja
02-03-2019, 08:44 AM
I had a traeger tailgater. it was discounted because someone returned it. I bought it and used it a few weeks. temp swings and flameouts were common. sold it to a guy for what I paid for it.....its his problem now

powerpig
02-03-2019, 08:47 AM
I have a made in the USA Traeger Texas Elite, Traeger Pig and Traeger XL. I've done a ton of cooking on the Traeger Tex and it took a while to figure out the hot and cold spots. I use it mostly during the holidays to cook Turkeys for family and friends. The temp swings aren't to bad, but it has caught fire several times due to the controller continually dumping pellets for no reason.

They used to have great support, but the last couple of times I've called them with an issue, their answer was "I don't know why that's happening, hope you figure it out".

I was lucky enough to pick up the Pit Boss Coppertop and Austin XL during the recent clearance at Walmart. I've done the burn in and one cook on the Copperhead and the temp didn't vary by more than 5 degrees running at 350. I'm going to smoke ribs today at 250 and will see how the temps hold at a lower temp.

I've been meaning to post this link and I guess this would be a good place. Joe Traeger, who pretty much invented pellet grills, has joined Danson, who makes Louisiana and Pit Boss pellet grills. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pellet-grill-industry-founder-joins-leading-grill-company-300717050.html

BKING!
02-03-2019, 08:48 AM
I had a traeger tailgater. it was discounted because someone returned it. I bought it and used it a few weeks. temp swings and flameouts were common. sold it to a guy for what I paid for it.....its his problem now

Yeah at this point the only Traeger I’d own would be the timberline. Otherwise the pitboss is a lot cheaper and I rarely hear complaints about them. That and they are actually built with pretty thick gauge steel!

highergr0und
02-03-2019, 09:31 AM
I've had my Traeger for about 8 months but it holds temps within 5 degrees the vast majority of the time. If it's hot out I noticed it can overshoot the temp when heating up but it settles right back down.

rwalters
02-03-2019, 09:49 AM
I respectfully disagree, you can lol all you want. If you saw how fast the temps shot up past the setpoint and how long the unit stayed below temp there is absolutely NO way the average temp was anywhere near the setpoint. I also think you should go back and read the part where I stated the unit almost hit 300°. That's a swing of nearly 50° and I don't see how anyone can claim that is acceptable especially from a $1300 unit.

I apologize if my “lol” came across as sarcastic... that was not my intent. Personally, my pellet cooker sits within a pretty tight temp range... +/-10°. I’ve had stick burners before that turned out fantastic food. With the stick burners, I’d usually work to keep an average temp of 250°. When it dipped to 225ish, I’d feed it a stick or two and often watch it climb watch it climb to 270-275ish and then settle back down. Food was always great and consistent. Honestly, I think most people would be surprised to set their home ovens at 250° (or any temp for that matter) and drop an accurate temp probe into it. Home ovens bounce up and down to, and I think most people don’t even realize that, as the end product is what they expect it to be... good. So again, if I came across in a sarcastic manner I am sorry. And I do agree with you in that watching the temps swing like that on a pellet cooker, especially if you are not used that that, would be disturbing. This may come as a surprise, but from what I have gathered, numerous pellet grill manufacturers, including MAK (which is what I have) have the controller designed to display the average temp, not the real-time temp. I can change that on my controller to display real-time, but I’ve been cooking on MAK’s for 3 years now and the average temp which is displayed has never caused an issue. Heck, years ago, my cooks used to look like they were in life support with wires everywhere as I wanted to track temps on the cooker and every piece of meat that was cooking. Nowadays, give me a cooker that is fairly stable and a Thermapen and I am a happy camper :)

All this said, and as others have mentioned, there is absolutely no harm in contacting Traeger to see if they can’t help your family member get the temps dialed in to a tighter range.

electron_si
02-03-2019, 10:20 AM
I have a 2015 lil Tex elite. Their controllers just aren’t that good unless you step up to a timberline. IMO the big issue was they put an RTD readout on the machine. They used to only have settings with no temp display. The grill had the same swings you just didn’t know about it. Ignorance was bliss.

I swapped the stock controller out for a Savannah stoker and haven’t looked back. It holds temps within 5 degrees and has auto relight if the wind ever blows out the fire. Traeger makes a good grill you just have to know what you are getting.

These days it seems like better deals are out there now with better controllers

smoke ninja
02-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Yeah at this point the only Traeger I’d own would be the timberline. Otherwise the pitboss is a lot cheaper and I rarely hear complaints about them. That and they are actually built with pretty thick gauge steel!

I used the money from the sale to buy my pit boss. it's only had a problem once at super low temps. works great at cooking temps and the sear feature, while small, works incredibly well. I was impressed with the thickness of the metal myself, with a little care I see it lasting years.

RCAlan
02-03-2019, 02:15 PM
That's what I was trying to convey the swings were constant and severe. I especially didn't like how long it sat below the setpoint and then would way over shoot. I agree something isn't right.

Why someone would spend $1300 on a Traeger I have no idea and agree one could make a far better choice in a smoker. Even if I had that kind of money to spend I would rather have multiple lower cost units like a pbc or wsm or a quality stick burner.

To the OP about Traeger grills, I truly hope you find the solution to the problems you’re having with your grill. Sometimes it’s like trying to find a needle in a haystack and sometimes is as simple as following the owners manual instructions. Give these tips a try first... They should fix your wild temp swing issues you’re having with your grill. and if all else falls, then I would reach out to Customer Service for support.
1. Always allow your grill to preheat for 20mins at 300* degrees to allow your grill to properly heat up and stabilize. Never just “set it and forget it”. Again, if you’re just plugging in your grill and setting the temp like it’s an oven in your home, you’re going to have problems with wild temp swings... These are still stick burners... Just Pellets. Allow Your grills temp to settle and stabilize during the 20 min. Preheat, then once the temp is stable, then you can set the grill to your desired temp for cooking/grilling.
2. With all Pellet Grills, the burn pot/fire pot needs the ash from prior cooks to be cleaned and removed.. If possible using a shop-vac. If you don’t keep it clean, the wild temp swings can happen along with flame outs.
3. Never go by what You see or hear from TV Info Commercials... Always read and follow the instructions from the Traeger owners manual.
4. Make sure heat shield and heat deflectors are in their correct position... ie... The instructions manual.
5. If these tips are followed and You are still having the same problems, then I would request from Traeger a replacement controller from your grill.
6. Often times, new pellet grill owners will have some issues because the lack of understanding and the learning curve required for their particular grill. Should it be that difficult? No.. Often times it’s just the end users not reading and following instructions. Can mechanical issues happen as well? Yes and that’s where Traeger’s Customer Support will come into play. Give these tips a shot first, they should work. Good Luck

Update.. After reading the Traeger Select Pro Pellet Grills Owners Manual, there is not one mention of Preheating of the pellet grill in the entire owners manual. smh.. It just say to have the lid open, set your grill to “smoke” and ensure the pellets have ignited.. about 2mins.. You’ll see smoke, then close the lid and set to your desired temp... Wow.. 2 mins.. I know every grill and grill manufacture is different but, the way Traegers are designed, You’ll always have temp swing issues starting their grills up that way and that’s from their owners manual. Give the 20min preheating a shot and if that doesn’t fix it for you and Customer Support doesn’t resolve the problem, then I would return it for a full refund and not for a replacement.. .02. $1300.00 spent... I wouldn’t put up with it...

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi