PDA

View Full Version : Oven cleaner

sackedbysapp
01-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Anything wrong with using an oven cleaner in a stickburner? I’ve seen it used in drums. I have Lang some creosote and the seasoning flaking off in The warmer and cook chamber. I want to take Lang( just few hours away) have it repainted but they don’t do to much to the outside but powerwash.

Nuco59
01-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Nasty chemicals- I guess if you rinse the hell out of it after you were done but why use it at all. My vertical gets gunked (rarely)- fire it up, get it hot- garden hose with sprayer- the gunk steams off and runs out the grease drain. The hot steel should dry quickly, re-season and move on.

You should be able to find a Lang video on Youtube on how he'd do it. (spoiler- it looks a lot like I described)

pjtexas1
01-07-2019, 06:52 PM
I scrape the flakes, vacuum the ashy/creosote then spray it all down and re-season. I wouldn't use oven cleaner or water.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BBQ Freak
01-07-2019, 07:57 PM
if I was going that far as paying someone to repaint a cooker I would get it sandblasted too and does not cost that much .

sackedbysapp
01-07-2019, 07:59 PM
They don’t recommend sand blasting, pits the tanks. What Ben said, called spoke to him.

BBQ Freak
01-07-2019, 08:03 PM
They don’t recommend sand blasting, pits the tanks. What Ben said, called spoke to him.

Shirley Fabrication sandblast every smoker before it goes out the door and have restored Lang cookers and they sandblast them and repaint them ? you are not going to get rid of rust or it will come back like cancer and was a car painter for 20 years .

sackedbysapp
01-07-2019, 08:12 PM
I’ve also had a few other smoker sand blasted inside and out, one problem a lot of sand inside to blow out if the inside, reverse flows. Never noticed any pitting though.

Stlsportster
01-07-2019, 08:26 PM
Lang recommends getting the cooker to 300 and spraying the inside with water. Then close the lid and let it steam for a couple minutes. Then I use a steel bristle brush and scrub the grates, loosely go over the inside of the cook chamber to knock off loose flakes, and scrape the reverse flow plate with a wide putty knife.

Then repeat. Or cook. I usually do the later.

Do this process every 6-8 cooks depending on what I cooked.

sackedbysapp
01-07-2019, 08:59 PM
I have a crack just under the warmer intake, so I won’t spray any water in it while it’s hot.

nautique1228
01-07-2019, 09:15 PM
I’ve started using members mark oven grill and fryer cleaner. You can get it at sams or amazon. Spray it on let it soak, hose or power wash it clean. Use a blower to dry it or start a fire and get it hot. If I’m not going to use it right away a light coat of vegetable or canola oil so it doesn’t rust.

BBQ Freak
01-07-2019, 09:17 PM
spraying water is a bad thing when a cooker is hot and this has broke other cookers welds too and not just Lang and he should take down those videos , lol . :crazy:

sackedbysapp
01-07-2019, 09:40 PM
I scrap off the plate, hose it out cold than set a box fan up at firebox close the doors and let it air dry.

BBQ Freak
01-07-2019, 10:01 PM
this was not meant at you at all brother but the steam thing is just wrong but you have a crack in your some reason and I hope everything works out for you and you get your cooker restored the way you want . It is all just BBQing my friend .:mrgreen:

sackedbysapp
01-07-2019, 10:21 PM
There’s no problem, I don’t steam clean it. The cooker at least 15 years old, crack not very big. But I do want to get it right.