PDA

View Full Version : Buying an older model Yoder YS640, yay or nay?

LordRiffenstein
01-07-2019, 06:03 AM
Almost 3 years into my Traeger-ownership, I'm thinking about upgrading to a better and bigger pellet grill. This has brought me to my favorite, the Yoder YS640. These things are very expensive over here (Europe) but I consider them to be the best that are available. I prefer the one on the comp cart as I will need to move it around as well as take it to other locations.

I have found 2 shops that have a YS640 Comp for sale at a discount price. I'm waiting on 1 shop to get back to me, they have one that is supposedly a new one. The other one was build in August 2016 but they are throwing in 250kg of pellets. I know Yoder made some changes, I think they updated the probe port design in 2017 so I won't be getting that. This one has been sitting on their shop floor and has also never been used.

Assuming one is a newer model and one is an older but comes with a boatload of pedals, which one would you get? Price is the same for both.

SeanBBQ
01-07-2019, 06:53 AM
IMO - I dont think you could go wrong with either as long as it is what works for you. That being said. Yoder made updates for a reason and if it were me, i would go for the new one.

Good luck on your decision. Let us know which you decide to get.

ckoss
01-07-2019, 09:43 AM
If they are the same price, go for the newer unit. You're going to want to find what brand of pellets you personally prefer anyway. The other unit is over two years old. I'm sure it will work great, but not only is the probe port different, but you'll likely need to upgrade the firmware. Easy to do, but not worth it if you don't get a price break.