PDA

View Full Version : What state has the best competetion teams?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Not to restart the civil war, but do teams from any one state stand out in KCBS competitions on a year in and year out basis?

This may be too simplistic a question considering that KCBS competitions are held throughout the United States.

thillin
05-02-2007, 02:24 PM
No comps in TX.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
No comps in TX.

Ya know, I didn't realize that. I see they have a Cooking Class in Denton, and comps in New Mexico, Oklahoma and Arkansas. Wonder why no competitions in Texas?

Well, OK then -- not THROUGHOUT the US. :mrgreen:

Roo-B-Q'N
05-02-2007, 03:18 PM
What state has the best competetion teams?

Confusion

SP
05-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Top 3 teams last year. Oklahoma, Illinois and Florida.

GridironGriller
05-02-2007, 03:24 PM
What state has the best competition teams?

Confusion

We generally compete in the state of inebriation.

Flavor Dave
05-02-2007, 03:24 PM
With a question like that how can it not start a civil war?!?! TEXAS has to be at the top of this list. Ya'll go ahead and tell the man who's 2nd and 3rd..........

The Anchorman
05-02-2007, 04:11 PM
With a question like that how can it not start a civil war?!?! TEXAS has to be at the top of this list. Ya'll go ahead and tell the man who's 2nd and 3rd..........

From Texas to... "Rhode Island the biggest littlest state in the union!"

Well I couldn't resist, Ray

spicewine
05-02-2007, 05:14 PM
I don't know what the answer is but I do know that there are alot of MOFO teams that do battle on a regular basis and it is always a tough row to hoe!!

Not to be confused with a knappy Headed Hoe.:wink:

homebbq
05-02-2007, 05:42 PM
There are some very tough Florida teams, that like to get out and prove that once in awhile.....

JohnMcD348
05-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Well, is there a way to look up the past years team results and see who scored in say the top 10 spots over the last few years? That should pretty much settle whos who and even show any patterns that may be there. I'm sure there's got to be some Brethren out there who can do Statistical Analysis.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Well, is there a way to look up the past years team results and see who scored in say the top 10 spots over the last few years? That should pretty much settle whos who and even show any patterns that may be there. I'm sure there's got to be some Brethren out there who can do Statistical Analysis.

I tried looking up past results from the American Royal, but they only listed the team names where I looked -- I had no idea where they are from.

homebbq
05-02-2007, 05:57 PM

In KCBS alone will rule out alot of great teams from Texas, and Florida... Just not alot of KCBS, especially triple point events without doing some heavy traveling..

habenero
05-02-2007, 05:57 PM
It is hard to be humble when you are a comp cook from Oklahoma! Just teasing guys, lighten up, Oklahoma did sweep the KCBS in 2006.
habenero

Solidkick
05-02-2007, 06:14 PM
I have to say in my opinion, three states....Missouri/Kansas and Florida. Though we present the final product a little differently, I think that some of the best overall que comes from these areas. Those FBA boys/gals are pretty darn tough, just like us MoFo/KanFo boys/gals are.....

Illinois isn't far behind with Ulcer Acres and Quau just to name a few....

Jeff_in_KC
05-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I agree with ya Kick... but I couldn't leave them Okies off the list!

MilitantSquatter
05-02-2007, 06:59 PM
In KCBS alone will rule out alot of great teams from Texas, and Florida... Just not alot of KCBS, especially triple point events without doing some heavy traveling..

I think Kevin nailed it right on the head... Competition BBQ is growing everywhere but has deeper roots in certain areas of the country. This creates the opportunity for more teams to attend more and larger contests based on the exposure in the region. This creates somewhat of a higher probability of these teams standing out from a ranking system...

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule as there are very strong teams in the NE, Mid Atlantic, SE and Pacific Northwest as examples but in the end a lot has to do with percentages.

YankeeBBQ
05-03-2007, 06:39 AM
I have to say in my opinion, three states....Missouri/Kansas and Florida. Though we present the final product a little differently, I think that some of the best overall que comes from these areas. Those FBA boys/gals are pretty darn tough, just like us MoFo/KanFo boys/gals are.....

Illinois isn't far behind with Ulcer Acres and Quau just to name a few....

I gotta stand up for my New England teams. When we do travel out west and south we do pretty darn good against those teams. Plenty of calls at the Royal, the Jack and the Best of the Best for New England Teams.

SP
05-03-2007, 07:02 AM
So I guess there are alot of good teams everywhere. And if all the top teams got togeather there probably would be several different calls.

Solidkick
05-03-2007, 07:03 AM
I gotta stand up for my New England teams. When we do travel out west and south we do pretty darn good against those teams. Plenty of calls at the Royal, the Jack and the Best of the Best for New England Teams.

Oh..I can't disagree with you....I think the question asked really becomes an answer of a regional response. I know you guys can cook, I've just never been in a contest against you. Same with Willie T out in the Carolinas...the brother can cook, no doubt.

I guess everyone has their teams they have to contend with in their own region....so there probably isn't a state or states that has the best teams.
They're all pretty good on any given day!

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-03-2007, 07:20 AM
It would be great to find a way to bring the top teams from all regions and societies/associations together in true national championship format - A BBQ Superbowl or World Series type of event.

Seems like it could draw some big time sponsors and TV Coverage and be a well paid trip for all the regional champions with some significant prize money and bragging rights.

homebbq
05-03-2007, 07:29 AM
It would be great to find a way to bring the top teams from all regions and societies/associations together in true national championship format - A BBQ Superbowl or World Series type of event.

Seems like it could draw some big time sponsors and TV Coverage and be a well paid trip for all the regional champions with some significant prize money and bragging rights.

It's been trying to exist, it's called the Best of the Best, put on by the National BBQ News in Douglas, Georgia... The same problems with distance plague this contest, besides the fact they keep charging an entry fee for the Invitational... But it's a neat contest, they take rules from several organizations, and meld them together.....

http://www.nationalbbqfestival.com/

tony76248
05-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Not to restart the civil war, but do teams from any one state stand out in KCBS competitions on a year in and year out basis?

This may be too simplistic a question considering that KCBS competitions are held throughout the United States.

OK here is the deal, in Texas we have a few sanctioning bodies. IBCA, Lone Star and Gulf Coast. In the past there have been KCBS comps here as well. There was even a joint competition called "meeting in the middle" I believe. I think it was in Stillwater OK last year. All pits turned in to both IBCA and KCBS, so there were two sets of turn-ins.

All told there are approximately 200 sanctioned comps a year in Texas... I believe that number is accurate. IBCA has a great website whereas the Lone Star is about as cheesy as they come. I am basing that on my experience and nobody elses. I have never checked out the gulf coast website because they are gulf coast and not too close to home. The rules for each sanctioning body are roughly the same. Both Gulf Coast and Lone Star are shoot-offs from IBCA. Many folks will cook in all three associations and some folks prefer to stick with just one. IBCA is also nationwide, they sanction cook-offs as far away as both coasts.

The main but not only differences between IBCA and KCBS: KCBS has a training program for their judges where IBCA utilizes judges from the sponsoring organization such as VFW, K of C, volunteer Fire Dept, Chamber of Commerce...etc etc... There are pluses and minuses to both. Another difference is the meat selection and garnish. KCBS uses baby backs where IBCA uses spares. IBCA turns in fully jointed half chickens, KCBS 6 pieces of the same. KCBS turns in pulled pork and IBCA doesn't...unless they have added categories. KCBS garnishes, IBCA doesn't (I personally think it is silly to garnish, afterall it is a meat competition)

I am going to participate in a KCBS cook-off this year. We are still trying to determine the logistics on that one.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-03-2007, 08:39 AM
There was even a joint competition called "meeting in the middle" I believe. I think it was in Stillwater OK last year. All pits turned in to both IBCA and KCBS, so there were two sets of turn-ins.

So how did it turn out?

Thanks for the overview -- very interesting.

Diamond D'z
05-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Not that I have any braggin rights ............Yet.............soon it'll be Kentucky.

Solidkick
05-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Not that I have any braggin rights ............Yet.............soon it'll be Kentucky.
There ya go brother! that's the attitude!!:mrgreen:

SmokeInDaEye
05-03-2007, 12:20 PM
From Texas to... "Rhode Island the biggest littlest state in the union!"

Well I couldn't resist, Ray

I didn't even realize Road Island was a state.:wink:

Bill-Chicago
05-03-2007, 12:37 PM
The Pacific Northwest has their own section of the monthly Bullsheet

Even the KCBS recognizes them as the best, so the argument is moot

Bigdog
05-03-2007, 01:12 PM

Ah...Bill...the Pacific Northwest is not a state the last time that I checked.:razz:

The Anchorman
05-03-2007, 02:16 PM
I didn't even realize Road Island was a state.:wink:

The 13th original Baby!

Pig Headed
05-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Are you guys all on drugs?? Everyone knows that the answer is Delaware.

jminion
05-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Not even us in the PNW pay attention to what Bob Lyon writes but there are a number of teams that do very well when cooking in other regions of the country.

I have cooked with outstanding cooks from the mid west, SE, and mid south and the west, because of this and the classes you can attend you can learn and work styles from all over the country.

The best cooks are coming from all over the country, internet just may play a role.

smokincracker
05-03-2007, 07:07 PM
It's been trying to exist, it's called the Best of the Best, put on by the National BBQ News in Douglas, Georgia... The same problems with distance plague this contest, besides the fact they keep charging an entry fee for the Invitational... But it's a neat contest, they take rules from several organizations, and meld them together.....

http://www.nationalbbqfestival.com/

2006 Best of the best
6 of the top ten teams were from florida

HoDeDo
05-03-2007, 07:44 PM
KCBS has a training program for their judges where IBCA utilizes judges from the sponsoring organization such as VFW, K of C, volunteer Fire Dept, Chamber of Commerce...etc etc... There are pluses and minuses to both. Another difference is the meat selection and garnish. KCBS uses baby backs where IBCA uses spares. IBCA turns in fully jointed half chickens, KCBS 6 pieces of the same. KCBS turns in pulled pork and IBCA doesn't...unless they have added categories. KCBS garnishes, IBCA doesn't (I personally think it is silly to garnish, afterall it is a meat competition)

I am going to participate in a KCBS cook-off this year. We are still trying to determine the logistics on that one.

Just to clarify..
KCBS does certify judges, but the contests are not required to use those judges. Many contests use "celebrity" judges from the sponsor as well.

KCBS does not specify the type of pork rib you can use.... so you can turn in spare ribs or loin back/baby backs. (I always turn in spares)

KCBS does not require you turn in 6 of the same pieces of chicken, just 6 portions. Many people turn in thighs, but you could turn in breast, thighs and legs if you wanted - as long as there are at least 6 portions total in the container.

KCBS does not require garnish. But if you choose to garnish, it has to be green leaf lettuce, curly parsley, or cilantro/flat leaf parsley. I have not used greens to garnish my pork in quite a while... But would never turn in chicken in a bare box.

Good luck this year!!!

HoDeDo
05-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Are you guys all on drugs?? Everyone knows that the answer is Delaware.

Well that's just pig headed.... :roll:

Ok,Ok - off to my room I go...:wink:

tony76248
05-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Just to clarify..
KCBS does certify judges, but the contests are not required to use those judges. Many contests use "celebrity" judges from the sponsor as well.

KCBS does not specify the type of pork rib you can use.... so you can turn in spare ribs or loin back/baby backs. (I always turn in spares)

KCBS does not require you turn in 6 of the same pieces of chicken, just 6 portions. Many people turn in thighs, but you could turn in breast, thighs and legs if you wanted - as long as there are at least 6 portions total in the container.

KCBS does not require garnish. But if you choose to garnish, it has to be green leaf lettuce, curly parsley, or cilantro/flat leaf parsley. I have not used greens to garnish my pork in quite a while... But would never turn in chicken in a bare box.

Good luck this year!!!

Thanks for the clarification.

I would have chosen babybacks, less fat better flavor and they cook faster.

I realize that most folks turn in 6 thighs, actually most probably prepare a dozen or more and pick out the best 6. I would do the same if I cooked KCBS. Just so you know, we turn in a 1/2 chicken but when there are more than 50 we will turn in two halves.

Still wouldn't do garnish.