PDA

View Full Version : Romaine Lettuce Question

JohnH12
12-01-2018, 12:06 PM
The CDC recommended that all Romaine lettuce be thrown out then said they traced it to only 6 counties in CA.
My Romaine from Walmart was from Salinas in Monterey County which is one of the affected areas.
They wife just brought home some Iceberg lettuce from Walmart. The package shows Salinas, CA.
Why is only Romaine affected and not Iceberg?

Dweverett
12-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Good question. I don't understand how the contamination is happening. I can see a variety of sources but I would think that washing would solve the issue and from what I've read about the last couple with Romain it was in some way embedded in the lettuce and couldn't be washed away.

seakuv
12-01-2018, 01:24 PM
E-Coli contamination in water absorbed by the growing lettuce? Wouldn't be hard to happen if the irrigation source was contaminated. Just a guess.

Sakamoto
12-01-2018, 01:42 PM
I read somewhere that it was caused by animal waste getting on the plants. For the reason Iceburg isn't on the list, it might be because it's a closed leaf plant.... just a possibility.

JohnH12
12-01-2018, 02:44 PM
I also thought the contamination was traced to animal waste in the irrigation water. I can't envision allowing cattle roaming the lettuce fields and crapping on the plants.
All I know for sure is the Romaine and Iceberg had the same Salinas, CA markings on the Walmart wrappings.
The Romaine that we tossed was half eaten with no ill effects but the wife insisted.
We'll see what happens with the Iceberg.