PDA

View Full Version : G Hughes Smokehouse Sugar Free

jasonjax
11-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Anyone try this stuff? Would I be better off making my own with stevia or something if trying to avoid sugar?

Thanks!

Joshw
11-26-2018, 02:37 PM
Anyone try this stuff? Would I be better off making my own with stevia or something if trying to avoid sugar?

Thanks!

I tried it, and used it in a casserole dish, and thought, wow, that isn't bad. Then, I tried it on a pulled pork sandwich, and didn't like it at all. For me, straight out of the bottle, you get a really strong artificial sweetener taste. Once cooked, that taste gets much less noticeable.

IMO, you are better off making your own. I would skip stevia, and get some Lakanto Golden Monkfruit sweetener. It is a little pricey, but it can be used as a 1:1 replacement for brown sugar. I have used in sauce, and rubs, and it is pretty awesome stuff. It doesn't have quite the molasses taste as brown sugar, but for those avoiding sugar, it is a great substitute.

PatAttack
11-26-2018, 02:52 PM
I've tried his Sugar-Free Tomato Ketchup and it wasn't too bad.

I imagine his BBQ sauce would be similar.

Joshw
11-26-2018, 03:05 PM
I've tried his Sugar-Free Tomato Ketchup and it wasn't too bad.

I imagine his BBQ sauce would be similar.

I think the ketchup is better. I use it to make sauce, with the above mentioned sweetener.

cullenbranson
11-26-2018, 03:54 PM
I've had it . . . meh.

If you're fine with artificial sweeteners I'd at least try it. If you're not, I'd make your own.

mike243
11-26-2018, 06:16 PM
Being diabetic sucks,I do like it and dont baste with it .most of the time I put it on after its cooked

Kevin89
11-26-2018, 07:37 PM
I thought the maple brown was actually really good, if you're going to make your own look into swerve sweetener.

IamMadMan
11-27-2018, 06:27 AM
I haven't tried it, but also remember that making your own gives you control over most of the ingredients, as well as being able to adjust to your own personal tastes.

There are several sugar-free rubs and sauces posted by Brethren on the forum.