PDA

View Full Version : Offset Pros and Cons

Blutch
05-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Brethren,

After my first cook with the UDS, I'm wondering why I would keep my big offset. I've been listing pros and cons and have come up with a lot more cons than pros. I'm not a competitor and don't have time to do it even if I were to want to.

Here is the list of cons on using the offset - fuel.. I don't have an easy or inexpensive source of wood. Inneficience - requires constant tending and fiddling.. I know some enjoy this and so do I when I have two days to blow - which is rare.. Uneven grate temp - Even with a heavy baffle and custom charcoal basket I have to constantly rotate the meat due to inconsisten temps at the grat.. I know I could put in tuning plates and move the exhaust chute down to grate level to help with this, but I don't think it will ever be as even as the drum is. Messy... rotating meat and dealing with the fire is very messy on the deck. Cleaning the pit is also a huge job. I have a great charcoal basket/ash pan setup in the drum which makes cleanup easy. Taste - the Q I did in the drum was as good or better than anything I've been able to do in the offset.. I haven't had the offset that long so I know in time I would get better at it, but I'm asking myself why go through all that when the drum is working great.

Pros - space? The drum has almost as much space and I could build another one fairly easily. Cold weather cooking? Offset is thick, drum is thin.. I wonder in cold and wind how the drum will do? No experience there. The offset looks cool on the deck, the drum looks like my name is Billy Joe Bob and I live in the hills. :-)

That's where my thoughts are. Someone talk me out of selling the offset. :-)

B

kickassbbq
05-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Do you REALLY need the money from the sale of the offset??
If you do not NEED the money, keep both of them and answer all of those questions over a period of time and experimentation.
You may really miss that Stick Burner!!!!!!! And, if you do miss it after selling it, YOU ARE JACKED!!!
Can't have too many different types of smokers.
Fork That Pork!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!

Mooner
05-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Do you REALLY need the money from the sale of the offset??
If you do not NEED the money, keep both of them and answer all of those questions over a period of time and experimentation.
You may really miss that Stick Burner!!!!!!! And, if you do miss it after selling it, YOU ARE JACKED!!!
Can't have too many different types of smokers.
Fork That Pork!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!

Agree 100%

drbbq
05-01-2007, 09:25 AM
The offset is excellent if you have a small wiener and need to compensate, but other than that I can't think of any pros. Heat rises so putting the fire below the food is the obvious choice. I sold mine to my neighbor years ago and have never missed it.

Harbormaster
05-01-2007, 09:25 AM
I agree too. I have a Brinkmann offset that has the same issues, but I am going to convert mine to a reverse flow this spring/summer. I really believe this will help stabilize the grate temps. My offset has sentimental value as it is my first pit, and my dad got it for me for Christmas almost 10 years ago. It's what got me into this sometimes maddening past tiime.
Keep it. Play with it. Make it more better.

Mooner
05-01-2007, 09:29 AM
The offset is excellent if you have a small wiener and need to compensate.

:lol: Hahaha, that's funny. What you tryin to say Ray BGE's have no lengthening properties?? :-P

drbbq
05-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Right! Eggers are all OK in that department. No need for help.

ultramag
05-01-2007, 09:42 AM
The offset is excellent if you have a small wiener and need to compensate, but other than that I can't think of any pros.

Now that there is funny. :eusa_clap

WineMaster
05-01-2007, 10:08 AM
There is nothing wrong with Drum smokers.
There is nothing wrong with Offsets.
With a offset, people at least know what they are though.
A few drums in the yard and all that comes to mind is Fred Sanford.

drbbq
05-01-2007, 10:20 AM
There is nothing wrong with Drum smokers.
There is nothing wrong with Offsets.
With a offset, people at least know what they are though.

I think we said the same thing. If you're interested in how people think your cooker looks, get the offset. It's a metaphor, your wiener doesn't really get bigger.

swamprb
05-01-2007, 10:22 AM
The offset is excellent if you have a small wiener and need to compensate, but other than that I can't think of any pros. Heat rises so putting the fire below the food is the obvious choice. I sold mine to my neighbor years ago and have never missed it.

I guess I won't be bringing mine to the class!

I put mine on craigslist after my last rasslin' match, but I had second thoughts, its currently storing my lump and briqs. It'll probably be around awhile as the OL quit bitchin' about all cookers.

Brian

backyardchef
05-01-2007, 10:23 AM
It's a metaphor, your wiener doesn't really get bigger.

He's right, you need a Lamborghini for that......:wink:

WineMaster
05-01-2007, 10:31 AM
I think we said the same thing. If you're interested in how people think your cooker looks, get the offset. It's a metaphor, your wiener doesn't really get bigger.

I know that, I thought you just liked talking about your wiener.
Oh and Eggs & Drums share no visual resemblance.

ique
05-01-2007, 10:37 AM

I would tend to agree, except there must be some pros when about 1/2 of the top 10 of KCBS are using offsets.

drbbq
05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah but they ain't using OK Joes Longhorns or little Brinkmans..

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I have often wondered if some things are better cooked on an offset and other things on WSM/BGE/UDS type of unit.

If you had both types of rigs fired up, wouldn't you put ribs and chicken on the offset and put the longer cooking time items like brisket and pork butts on the WSM/BGE/UDS unit? This is not taking into consideration cost of fuel, clean up, or similiar differences - I'm just talking about cooking quality.

I have no experience with anything other than the PK and SnP, so my comments are just speculation.

jv431
05-01-2007, 12:03 PM
I hope you all answer these questions because I am looking to purchase a new smoker. I really cannot make a decision on what to buy. The good offsets are expensive and if it is no better for a backyard plinker, I might as well buy or build the UDS when considering price. I am looking forward to opinions to help with my choice.

MoKanMeathead
05-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Sounds to me \like if you have a small wiener then the off-set is the way to go - other wise go with a Green Egg. :twisted: :mrgreen:

bbqpigskin
05-01-2007, 12:15 PM
OK, I'll be the bad guy here. I built a drum smoker and do not like it at all. I also have a small Bar-B-Chef offset and a big trailer mounted offset that I love. I have never used a BGE, so I cannot comment on it, but to me, you cannot beat slow cooking with wood in an offset. The drum does not give you the same result. So, for me I am overjoyed with the size of my willy and cooking on my offsets.

Just my opinion.

MoKanMeathead
05-01-2007, 12:22 PM
A more serious comment. We cook on a Lang 60 and have a lot of success with it over the last couple of years, except with brisket..which we have struggled with. this year we have been cooking our brisket on a WSM without a water pan over direct heat (much like a drum). We cook 15 to 16 pound packer trim briskets in 4 hours and they are excellent. In two contests they have placed 4th out of 60 and 8th out of 25 - very good, especially for us.

My point, I guess is that you can cook godd Q qith whatever you have so long as you know how to use it properly....so its not the size or shape of your pit it how you use it (sorry couldn't resist).

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-01-2007, 12:40 PM
A more serious comment. We cook on a Lang 60 and have a lot of success with it over the last couple of years, except with brisket..which we have struggled with. this year we have been cooking our brisket on a WSM without a water pan over direct heat (much like a drum). We cook 15 to 16 pound packer trim briskets in 4 hours and they are excellent. In two contests they have placed 4th out of 60 and 8th out of 25 - very good, especially for us.

My point, I guess is that you can cook godd Q qith whatever you have so long as you know how to use it properly....so its not the size or shape of your pit it how you use it (sorry couldn't resist).

You don't have any problem with pork butts on the Lang? If not, what is your guess as why the WSM works better than the Lang for the brisket?

Mooner
05-01-2007, 12:53 PM

Or a bike pump. (sorry thought we were in woodpile) :biggrin:

Mark
05-01-2007, 01:26 PM

I find it really doesn't matter; if you can lick your eyebrows.

WineMaster
I hope you all answer these questions because I am looking to purchase a new smoker. I really cannot make a decision on what to buy. The good offsets are expensive and if it is no better for a backyard plinker, I might as well buy or build the UDS when considering price. I am looking forward to opinions to help with my choice.

jv -- If you a looking for a opinion,
There is a thread still going with a poll. It has a lot of types of smokers and the offsets are ahead of them all. Its in Q-Talk called Smoker Design Discusions.

Dan

jt
We now return to our original topic...

I think it all comes down to personal preference. Obviously people compete and win with both (general) type of cookers - an offset and one with the heat directly below the meat. Is one better than the other? Once again, personal preference. Some really like the time spent tending the fire and others like more of a break after they get the meat in the cooker. And some people utilize both.

Blutch - I'd hang to your offset for awhile until you're sure you don't want to use it. I know a couple guys who finally quit using their Bandera's in favor of the WSM. And then you've got Pooh who loves to play with fire (he's a pyro). Cook with the drum and one day you'll either look back and say "Wow, I miss cooking on the offset - I'm gonna go fire it up today" or you'll say "You know, I haven't used that in X months". Then you'll have your decision.

icemn62
05-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Is there a problem with having both? I have never used an Offset, but wish I had the space so that i could. I really think the fire tending would be good for the soul. On the other hand, I love to put meat in the WSM and know that it is not going to fail me.

Has anybody done a mod on the UDS design to add a water pan or tank? I just thought that if the water pan works in the bullet types, and most verticles I know of then there may be something to that part of the design.

As to different taste? Are you sure you do not prejudice yourself during the cook? If while cooking, you decide you don't like this meat because it is cooked in "this" fashion, you won't like it.

That is what I love of BBQ, there are just so much to discuss, and there is no such thing as right or wrong as long as you leave out the matchlite, and do not boil.

Greendriver
05-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Right! Eggers are all OK in that department. No need for help.

sooooo, sounds like this must be reason # 199 for why BGE's are the way to go. Hmmm, I might just have to re-consider.

FatDaddy
05-01-2007, 05:01 PM
I have often wondered if some things are better cooked on an offset and other things on WSM/BGE/UDS type of unit.

If you had both types of rigs fired up, wouldn't you put ribs and chicken on the offset and put the longer cooking time items like brisket and pork butts on the WSM/BGE/UDS unit? This is not taking into consideration cost of fuel, clean up, or similiar differences - I'm just talking about cooking quality.

I have no experience with anything other than the PK and SnP, so my comments are just speculation.

i agree with ya... I Love my WSM for cooking briskets. Last year at Fat Daddys 3rd annual bbq and brew me and a buddy sat out on the back porch in the rain cooking brisket and porkshoulder all night long taking turns napping and pit bitching... I enjoyed it dont get me wrong but we felt like chit for the party the next day. mainly due to to many beers i think. any way. I bought the WSM. I love it for Briskets and shoulders. Long unattended cooks. But for ribs and chicken I can turn out some damn good ribs and chicken on the offset. I have a Large trailered home built one. (small weiner mod). SO for the 4th Annual FD BBQ and Brew im taking both with me and cooking the brisket in the WSM and the ribs in the Offset.Plus when cooking for 50+ people an offset is an obvious choice.

LostNation
05-01-2007, 05:54 PM
The offset is excellent if you have a small wiener and need to compensate.

Busted!!!

jpw23
05-01-2007, 06:03 PM
I really did not think about weiner size when I bought my offset....now I may need to seek out help....does it count that I also have an ECB and something that looks like R2D2 that runs on gas or am I still compensating:confused: :biggrin:

Jorge
05-01-2007, 06:26 PM

I don't know about you, but with a little encouragement mine does:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

VGuilford
05-01-2007, 06:27 PM

Or trash burning day!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

big brother smoke
05-01-2007, 06:33 PM
What are the issues over time cooking over direct fire versus indirect fire?
My understanding is that indirect cooking poses less/no concern regarding cancer.

Jorge
05-01-2007, 06:48 PM
For a serious answer...A horizontal offset will give you some versatility. You have a hot spot next to the firebox and cooler areas the further you get from it.. It can be handy when you need a little more heat to crisp something up, or speed a butt or brisket along.

If you have the room, and don't need the $ then it's probably a keeper. Or you might not miss it, until you need it8)

CajunSmoker
05-01-2007, 06:55 PM

I know that, I thought you just liked talking about your wiener.
Oh and Eggs & Drums share no visual resemblance.

Now your getting really funny:lol:

VGuilford
05-01-2007, 06:55 PM
I cook on Offsets. Always have always will.

CajunSmoker
05-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Actually, I just like to cook Q. Don't much care what I use as long as it works.:-D

Puppyboy
05-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Actually, I just like to cook Q. Don't much care what I use as long as it works.:-D
Amen brother!
One will say it's the cook not the cooker, but a good cooker helps.